Skiing & snowboarding - cheap day trips

387 posts in this topic

Was pretty poor today, didn't have much fun!

PS if anybody is needing to buy new boots, I am selling these:

Same as these below:

Boots 1

Boots 2

Paid £100 a few years ago, barely worn, good boots.

Get in touch via PM please!

Guys, has anybody been to the Austrian resort Wipptal? I read from the net it is a rather smaller resort, how does it compare to e.g. Garmisch and would 3 days there become boring?

I'm asking because there is a three-day trip offer for a reasonable price, considering to go in February.

As always, many thanks in advance!

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. Can't believe I forgot that! Size ten and a half UK. Thanks!

Which resort is the easiest/quickest to get to by train from Munich?

I'm moving to Munich 01/03. My friends are planning around 10 days skiing mid march and I will joining them for 2 weekends from Munich so somewhere I can get to after work on a Friday evening but with enough skiing to keep decent skiers happy for 10 days? Doesn't have to be a huge resort, we all prefer skiing off-piste and would be happy with a small place with some interesting skiing rather than miles of identical pistes although some other areas for my friends to visit mid week would also be nice!

Thanks!

"Which resort is the easiest/quickest to get to by train from Munich?"

Garmisch, trains hourly. Medium size, some but limited off-piste in trees etc.

hello, I'm relatively new to Munich and this board. I have a car and am looking to do a daytrip skiing this Sunday - Garmisch/Zugspitze/??. I'm open to other suggestions as I want to check out a bunch of the neighboring mountains this season. I went to Zugspitze last weekend with a buddy. This weekend I don't know yet if I have anyone to go with, so I'll have one or two spots free in my car. Anyone interested ping me. Looking to leave ~7:30 on Sunday morning.

Headed that direction last weekend, also in the car, and it was an absolute disaster. Granted we did leave Munich at half eight but I'd never go in the car again... Easier and cheaper to take the Garmisch Skiexpress from the hbf.

Yeah, so I guess you were stuck in that monster back-up 15km outside Garmisch? We waited an hour to get through it. I was hoping to beat it by leaving earlier, but maybe train is best. Do you buy the tickets morning of at hbf for the 7am train?

Ski day pass voucher for Kitzhbuhler for sale €19

Valid: 11/12/2011 to 31.03.2012

I bought this on groupon and wont use it so want to just get face value back on it

It gives you a 50% saving on a skipass in this resort: www.bergbahn.pillersee.at)

Voucher attached for full details.

email: simonjblake@gmail.com or 01743332712

post-38297-13280924576866_thumb.jpg

Just so you know.. You can usually return vouchers for credit on groupon. Once it's expired, if you weren't able to use it, you can write them a message with the voucher number and ask for it to be credited to your account! :)

HI PEEPS

its lame, i know, but i am rubbish at snowboarding, i dont know anyone outside of work and i dont speak German very well - im working on all those issues but i really want to go snowboarding, cos ive got all the gear (but no idea, as they say). I have looked into going to Zugspitze on the BOB and that seems reasonably straightforward, but what i'd really like is if someone can just tell me where to be at a certain time on the weekend and make it all a bit less of a mission.

Anyone out there?

Sam

I suggest checking out something like Perfect Sunday for day trips. They'll book lessons and organise everything for you. It's definitely important to do lessons to get the most out of ski-sports!

http://www.perfect-sunday.de/

its lame, i know, but i am rubbish at snowboarding, i dont know anyone outside of work and i dont speak German very well - im working on all those issues but i really want to go snowboarding, cos ive got all the gear (but no idea, as they say). I have looked into going to Zugspitze on the BOB and that seems reasonably straightforward, but what i'd really like is if someone can just tell me where to be at a certain time on the weekend and make it all a bit less of a mission.

You don't take the BOB to Zugspitze, but you do take the Regio-Express train or the special Garmisch-Express one.

Remember if you're going up to the Zugspitze then you'll need close to an extra hour once you get to Garmisch to take the cog wheel train up to the glacier. That'll mean a total of nearly 5 hours on the train in one day(!). Why not just go to Garmisch if you're a beginner? You'll get more time on the slopes and the conditions will be brilliant this weekend.

Regarding times, DB.de tells me the following for the weekend:

Leave at 07:32 or 08:32 from Hbf to get there at just before nine or ten respectively. That'll leave you with loads of time on the pistes. You can get your joint ticket from any of the Deutsche Bahn ticket machines at the Hbf or from the counter. I think it costs 42 Euro for Garmisch or 46 Euro for Zugspitze, plus 2 Euro Pfand for the ski pass which is of course returned when you hand it back in. :)

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Its my first time of skiing over germany so any advise would be welcome...

- Which one does it worth Garmisch-classic or Zugspitze? With the Zugspitze pass can i ski also in Garmisch-classic? are they connected or should i take any bus?

- Are there any rack renting service or similar over Garmisch? Im thinking if I should take my skis with its baggage or just as-is and carry all the few as possible in my backpack just to get down from the train and start skiing...

- Tomorrow I will go definitely to Garmisch, but is there any better choice around here?

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

1. Zugspitze is better but you need an extra 45 minutes to go up the mountain. Day ticket is about 6 Euro more, and you can use it for Garmisch-Classic too, yes.

2. Yes, you can rent anything you want for the day. http://www.skischule-gap.de/

3. Get a Garmisch-Skiexpress ticket from a DB ticket machine. 40 Euro (I think) for Garmisch-Classic, 46 Euro for Zugspitze.

Have fun!