Skiing & snowboarding - cheap day trips

387 posts in this topic

Right, a few threads have come up recently about the upcoming winter season. I haven't been in Munich for a winter yet, but one of the reasons I chose to move here was because of the city's proximity to the Alps.

I've heard that there are a number of companies that offer day trips to various resorts throughout the season (mainly on weekends). The two I have found so far are:

1. Sportscheck http://www.powertagesfahrten.com/de/100161/muenchen.html

2. Munich Ski Club http://www.munichskiclub.com/one/start.htm

Does anyone know of any more?

The Munich Ski Club trips don't start until the second week of January, which seems crazy to me cause if I wasn't so busy I'd be going down there already. Would be good to have a few more options than just SportScheck.

Further to this, if you organise the trip on your own, what ski resorts around here make a good day trip?

Crosslink by admin: Weekend skiing and snowboarding

Autobus Oberbayern also runs buses to popular ski resorts for day trips and more. Their 2005-06 ski schedule for isn't on their web site yet...by the look of things.

Keep in mind that the only ski areas open now (and before December) are the ones on glaciers, i.e. Hintertux, Sölden, Dachstein, Kitzsteinhorn and some others, all of which are not THAT close, and pushing it slightly for the day trip.

However, once the snow has fallen: there are plenty of areas close by: the Wilder Kaiser with several linked up areas, Kitzbühel, Garmisch (not just the glacier area), Zillertal, Zell am See, St. Anton (although that is pushing it a bit with over 2 hours drive, but worth it), and not to forget: Lenggries.

Most non-glacial ski areas open beginning/mid December.

Hintertux, Stubai and Kaprun are only about 2 hours away I think, is there any decent ski resort much closer than that even when winter starts?

My scandinavian club, From North, are organizing a trip down to Hintertux next week, on Tuesday November 1st! Anyone up for a day of skiing, sign up with us, check out all the details on our website, http://www.fromnorth.de/index.cfm?id=2485

Also, to answer your question: my favourite company to go with is definitely powertagesfahrten - they are excellent and if you are enough people and fill a whole bus, you can also choose where to go - That is what we´ve been doing for years with them and will be doing again now in February next year, when we do our annual traditional skiday outing with the scandinavians.

Ski resorts which are good for a day trip! Yee, there are so many within 1-1/2 hour drive from Munich, it would fill the rest of the page... Mayrhofen, Zillertal, Kaprun, Zell am See etc are just a few examples (but later in the season, at the moment only glaciers make any sense). Great weather forecasts can be found on this page: www.snow-forecast.com

Murphys organise day trips for skiing. Never been though!

Also, lads weekend to Kaprun organised 1st weekend of Dec if you're interested. Spare spaces in cars no doubt.

Being self-employed I like to skive off and ski during the week 'cos of course it is not so busy. Although I live a bit west of Munich, I usually skirt thru on the way to the Salzburg area, so if anyone else is a "midweek boarder" (or skiier) please post or PM me and we can organise - I have wheels.

There's a good list of day-trip companies on this website (in German).

Last year, I also took several day trips with Europa-Reisen - Very cheap, two or three locations in the Salzburger Land region.

My gold medal for the best value for money goes to Autobus-Oberbayern and Team-Bus for their daytrip to the fantastic Hochfügen/Hochzillertal. It was only EUR31,- during the week as I remember and one of the best ski resorts I've visited.

http://www.alpenstadt.de/zillertalmitte/panorama.htm

Some excellent information there jayhay.. Autobus-Oberbayern looks very interesting to me seeing as their depot is only 500m from my place!

So far then we have:

1. Powertagesfahrten (http://www.powertagesfahrten.com/de/100161/muenchen.html)

2. Munich Ski Club (http://www.munichskiclub.com/one/daytrips.htm)

3. Europa-Reisen (http://www.ski-tagesfahrten.de/ - doesn't seem to be any information here yet)

4. Autobus-Oberbayern (http://www.autobus-oberbayern.de/panorama/...gesfahrten.html

The others mentioned at http://www.baehrig.de/Hobbies/Aktiv_um_Mun...bus/skibus.html don't seem to be showing this years details yet. If anyone knows of more, especially with definite dates and prices, mention them here.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on where to go for a weekend that would be good also. I notice that on the Garmisch website they are advertising weekends with lift passes for only 99 euros. Any other deals like this would be interesting.

Here is another deal but with the train rather than the bus. Not such great ski areas but still good for the price (around 30 euros).

Thanks to the person that posted this in another thread (forget who it was, too lazy to check).

went wipptal last 2 weeks running and its a lovely beginners resort and going again next saturday if people also fancy goin

30 euros gets you travel there and back plus days skipass and only 16-20 euros for ski or snowboard hire also nearly all of the lifts are chair which is good

bus leaves at 7am from outside the europa-reisen shop in isartor and then its a 2- 2and a half hour busride to get there. bus leaves at 5pm but usually leaves earlier so be back before 430!! (almost missed our bus home today :P)

Anyone going skiing tomorrow? I'm tempted, I'm already going Sunday but it must be puking with snow down there at the moment and I just bought new skis. If anyone is driving down I would be willing to pitch in for fuel and meet you where ever, or if anyone is going on one of these bus trips let me know!

sunday looks to be better than saturday. i doubt you would be able to see as far as your ski tips tomorrow for the blizzard predicted!! but there should then be around 50+cms of fresh snow to play in by sunday. www.snow-forecast.com - marvellous site.

yeh, it is indeed an excellent site. Already going on Sunday, although even that day looks like it might be a bit blowy but with all that fresh snow I might not care :)

Still, if anyone is going Saturday, do tell!

I always found the train system to be a bit ghastly. Can't really explain why but the bus is the better way to go by far. Always easy, always comfortable, and always a bargain. Both SScheck and Schuster and good to go with but you get more free shit with SScheck. Mostly bollocks but hey, it's free (if you forget about the €5 extra on the price of the trip)!

hutcho, once you're in amongst the trees, you should be fine. where are you thinking of going? my first thought would be the ellmau end of skiwelt as this has some very sheltered pistes of fairly decent length.

@grazzenger - thanks for the tip about ellmau, I too have been hunting down the best places for tree skiing for Sunday since that increases visibility and conditions by a mile in this kind of weather. I was actually considering checking out Lenggries since it's mostly tree skiing and I reckon it would be quite empty so early in the season and with the weather and all. Plus the 50 minute drive and 24 euros a day sounds appealing as well. But is it any good?

@everyone: A friend and I will be skiing on Sunday, and we have at least one spot open in my car for anyone who wants to join us, maybe even two pending another friend (though the two in the back will be snug together due to a 2/3 folding back seat). We are mid-intermediate to advanced, and don't stop much. As alluded above, we may be going to Lenggries, or skiwelt in Austria. Heading out between 7-7:30. PM me if interested!

doh, we're having our housewarming on sunday afternoon but god would i love to go and hit all that fresh snow.

ET, never actually skiied in germany despite having lived here for so long. i've heard it's fine for a day and does benefit from being tree-lined, cheap and close but i think you'll get more of the new deep stuff down in austria.

whatever you decide, have fun and do post to tell us what conditions are like. <off to sulk about having a housewarming party>