I've decided to become German

431 posts in this topic

To further backup Aries6: Yeah, I have found it has been a monster disadvantage not having an EU passport in not being able to get a salaried position at any of the EU institutions.  I have a contract position and am seriously thinking about giving up my citizenship to get the German one.  The voting/amt thing is another good point.  After five years abroad, Canadians can no longer vote in Canada, therefore leaving Aries6 with no voting power anywhere. 

The only thing that gives me pause is the possibility that you might be able to hold both citizenships in the future.  I know we can't right now, but some countries can, and it seems to be changing all the time.  Thoughts?

I'm holding out until they allow dual citizenship for non EU citizens. No way I would give up my Canadian citizenship at this point but I can certainly understand the point of view of those looking to further their careers.

I second the inability to work for an EU institution. Any thoughts on the dual citizenship front after the upcoming election ? Because with populists gaining some ground, it seems that this would be very difficult.

23 hours ago, aries6 said:

-  Birth certificate - needs to be translated into German by a recognized sworn translator (with stamp). You can find one here: http://www.justiz-dolmetscher.de/

Did they just accept a certified translation of your birth certificate? Or are they going to send a Vertrauensanwalt? 

57 minutes ago, Joanie said:

I have found it has been a monster disadvantage not having an EU passport in not being able to get a salaried position at any of the EU institutions.  

And it is not just the EU institutions, there are also really interesting jobs in the Ministries that require German (or at least EU) citizenship. 

After five years abroad, Canadians can no longer vote in Canada, therefore leaving Aries6 with no voting power anywhere. 

I haven't been entitled to vote anywhere in years. <_<

The only thing that gives me pause is the possibility that you might be able to hold both citizenships in the future.  I know we can't right now, but some countries can, and it seems to be changing all the time.  Thoughts?

28 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Any thoughts on the dual citizenship front after the upcoming election ? Because with populists gaining some ground, it seems that this would be very difficult.

I was hoping before the last election for changes, however, I think the chances have sunk drastically since then due to the current political climate. 

Which party do you think would campaign for it?

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

Did they just accept a certified translation of your birth certificate? Or are they going to send a Vertrauensanwalt? 

I just provided my original (Indian, in English) birth certificate and the sworn German translation. The person reviewing it didn't say anything about getting in authenticated or notarized, so it was accepted as it is. She didn't say anything about them sending it to a Vertrauensanwalt either. The application is now under process, so not sure that someone else will ask for new documents at a later date. I'll just to wait and see. However, I assume that if there was something not right, the person reviewing the documents would have told me to provide them at the document handover meeting, since the purpose of that meeting was to check whether all the documents are in order or not, but who knows.

36 minutes ago, aries6 said:

I just provided my original (Indian, in English) birth certificate and the sworn German translation. The person reviewing it didn't say anything about getting in authenticated or notarized, so it was accepted as it is. She didn't say anything about them sending it to a Vertrauensanwalt either. 

Indian citizens applying for German citizenship need to have their Indian birth certificates vetified by a Vertrauensanwalt. I'm just curious whether the German Beamter will be satisfied with the Canadian documents.

Once you have German citizenship you can also apply for a German birth certificate.  

18 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Indian citizens applying for German citizenship need to have their Indian birth certificates vetified by a Vertrauensanwalt. I'm just curious whether the German Beamter will be satisfied with the Canadian documents.

Once you have German citizenship you can also apply for a German birth certificate.  

I think they are satisfied with the Canadian documents. I had to submit my Canadian naturalization certificate as part of the application, along with Canadian passport. So in that case I don't think the birth certificate needs additional verification. They must assume that since I was granted Canadian citizenship based on an Indian birth certificate, it must be OK. Although I'm not sure. I don't think my Indian birth certificate had ever been notarized or had any sort of check. As mentioned before, she didn't say anything about sending the birth certificate to a Vertrauensanwalt. At the end of the appointment I got a "Hinweise zum Einbürgerungsverfahren" and at the top of it is says "Zum Einbürgerungsantrag sind noch folgende Unterlagen nachzureichen:" and this section has been marked with the crossed line indicating that nothing needs to be "nachgereicht".

A German birth certificate? Where I can get information on this? It would just be a German document indicating that I was born on xxx date in xxx city and country?

18 hours ago, aries6 said:

The main reason is that with an EU passport I can live, work and retire anywhere in any EU country without having to deal with getting work and residency permits. I can't do that with permanent residency. I'd also be able to vote in elections and I think it will somehow make me feel more connected to Germany. It's more of an emotional decision for me. In general I think it's better to be a citizen of the country in which you are living permanently.

I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about "the current situation" or people making judgement on other people's life choices, so I'll leave it at that.

18 hours ago, aries6 said:

The main reason is that with an EU passport I can live, work and retire anywhere in any EU country without having to deal with getting work and residency permits. I can't do that with permanent residency. I'd also be able to vote in elections and I think it will somehow make me feel more connected to Germany. It's more of an emotional decision for me. In general I think it's better to be a citizen of the country in which you are living permanently.

I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about "the current situation" or people making judgement on other people's life choices, so I'll leave it at that.

If any of your parents or grandparents are Irish origin born in Ireland,( North or South ) then you can apply for an Irish (EU ) passport. At the moment the Irish government are overwhelmed with applications since Brexit has been announced, they have employed over 200 temporary staff to deal with the applications.

30 minutes ago, aries6 said:

A German birth certificate? Where I can get information on this? It would just be a German document indicating that I was born on xxx date in xxx city and country?

It is call Nachbeurkkundung, but you have to wait until after you have German citizenship to apply for it. 

On ‎06‎.‎02‎.‎2012‎ ‎09‎:‎57‎:‎59, featherlight said:

Why would a Brit want German citizenship??

Oh how things have changed since 2012.:lol: