Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need a chicken drumstick recipe

24 posts in this topic

Hi i bought some chicken drumsticks today as i want to suprise the mrs tomorrow and cook them for her,trouble is I've never done them before! any good EASY recipes out there!have found a lemon recipe on here but am not to sure about that one any tips would be much appreciated. ps she loves KFC but the next one is 50km away.

OK, I don't know breaded, but spicy:

Here's the marinade (I rarely measure anything...):

Cereal bowl of yogurt.

Some tablespoons of cayenne depending on HOW spicy of course---for me, a LOT!!!

Garlic powder

Ginger powder

Cumin powder (IMPORTANT)

Oil (about a tablespoon per cereal bowl of yogurt)

Salt

Few squirts of lemon juice.

Stir. I keep tasting the marinade until it tastes like something that Impulse mère would make.

Marinate the chicken in this mixture for a reasonable amount of time, you can do it skinless or with skin but if you do it with skin, cut some slits in the chicken so the flavour marinates through.

Pop them in the oven on a nonstick sheet or on aluminum foil for however long you think it takes to make chicken. If you like, you can even sprinkle some rosemary on them. Especially if you leave the skin on, it produces a greasy, spicy gravy that you can skim the fat off or leave it in, but you eat over rice, ideally good Basmati rice. It goes well with Caesar salad too.

½ cup Tomato ketchup

¼ cup Soya sauce

2 table spoons Dijon mustard.

2 pods of Garlic crushed or paste

I small piece of Ginger grated or paste

2 table spoons Honey

1 teaspoon red chilly powder add more if you like it spicy

Salt to taste

Marinate the drumsticks for a few hours and then bake in the oven, it does get a bit blackish from the honey and sugar in the ketchup but thats ok, as long as they are not charred...

Or a Jerk style marinade

10 spring onions, coarsely chopped

1 habanero chile, seeded and coarsely chopped

2 Tbs. white-wine vinegar

1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves

3 medium cloves garlic, chopped

1-1/4 tsp. ground allspice

1 tsp. kosher salt

1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

10 chicken drumsticks

Vegetable oil

Pulse the scallions, chiles, vinegar, thyme, garlic, allspice, salt, and pepper to a thick paste in a food processor

Coat the chicken and leave for 10 or 15 minutes

Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and heat the broiler to high. Line the bottom of a broiler pan with foil and replace the perforated top part of the pan. Oil the pan or coat with cooking spray. Arrange the chicken on the broiler pan. Season generously on all sides with salt.

Broil the chicken in the center of the oven, turning once after about 10 minutes, until fully cooked and nicely browned in spots, about 20 minutes total. Transfer to a platter and serve.

Smitten Kitchen had a recipe for buttermilk roast chicken the other day. A fried chicken type dish but marinaded and roasted (so you'd need to put it in the buttermilk to marinate tonight to cook it tomorrow). Sounds and looks delicious.

"Despite the day-long soaking time — and trust me, the difference between a two-hour soak and a day-long one is tremendous, tremendous enough that I implore you to hold out for it — this recipe is a cinch, and totally fits my other side project: getting a relatively hassle-free, wholesome dinner on the table as many nights a week as possible, a table where we all sit down and eat the same things. It takes five minutes to throw together the buttermilk brine the evening before, and (with legs, at least) just 30 minutes to roast."

Here's another one I like to use, you can use any part of the chicken even whole chicken or in this case drumsticks..

Chicken in butter milk

1 whole chicken, cut into pieces or you can use thigh and leg cuts

½ litre butter milk

2 cloves garlic minced/grated

½ teaspoon chillie powder

Salt to taste

¼ teaspoon black pepper

Combine all the above and marinate in the fridge over night

In a plastic food/freezer bag add

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon cumin powder

½ teaspoon chillie powder

1 teaspoon dried herbs, I use rosemary, thyme or krauter.

Put marinated chicken one piece at a time and shake the bag till chicken is coated.

Cook in oven till chicken is crisp and golden.

If you want a more Italian flavour, pesto sauce and sour cream make a great marinade, especially if you chop up some basil leaves for it. I also slice fresh garlic cloves and insert them under the skin. Cook with halved onions. The gravy that emerges is great over pasta.

Pretty simple one:

4 garlic cloves , minced

4 tablespoons brown sugar

3 teaspoons olive oil

Saute the garlic in the oil for a little, the stir the brown sugar in. Pour over the chicken and bake it.

Another easy one:

3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

Zest of 1 lemon

3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

1 tbsp. minced fresh parsley

1 tsp. kosher salt

½ tsp. ground black pepper

Whisk all of the ingredients together, toss the chicken in to marinate for a few hours in the fridge, then bake or grill it. It makes enough marinade for a lb of chicken.

Last easy one:

This is for 2 lbs of chicken.

Rub:

2 tsp oil

2 tsp granulated garlic

2 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp coriander

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp chili powder

Pour the oil over the chicken, the combine the other ingredients and rub it onto the chicken. You can grill or bake it a little and use the following two things to create a glaze. You just heat the honey up a little and stir in the vinegar.

Glaze:

1/2 cup Honey

1T Cider Vinegar

Oven Fried Drumsticks

½ cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon paprika

¼ teaspoon pepper

6 chicken drumsticks (about 1 1/2 pounds)

¼ cup butter , melted and cooled

Heat the oven to 220°C

Mix flour, salt, paprika and pepper in a bowl.

Dip chicken drumsticks into butter; roll in flour mixture to coat.

Arrange in a baking dish.

Bake uncovered until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut, about 50 minutes.

So which one did you do?

Haven,t started yet have been busy shovelling snow am not finished yetbut will tell you later :)

Have just finished preparing for tonights feast :D i did half like chelle63 said in post nr5 and the other half a mix between chelles post nr8 and PLS post nr 13 ,was good fun listening to my new mumford and sons cd and making a mess of the kitchen, just hope i live to tell the tale of what they were like after Mrs bobbylines seen the state of her beloved kitchen :o

...better? What? the chicken, or the story that goes with it? ;) Looking forward to hearing about the aftermath!

My chicken marinade is similar to Eupathic Impulse's, minus the cayenne pepper, and plus juice of up to 2 lemons or (sweeter) limes in natural yoghurt, some olive oil, lightly fried garlic (3+ cloves), ground cumin, pinch of turmeric for colour. Don't forget to rub salt over chicken pieces first, and slit the flesh before marinating. Result is a very sour taste, good with basmati rice with lots of saffron, yellow currants and toasted cashew pieces.