Sewing classes in Munich

11 posts in this topic

Looking for sewing classes in Munich, my german isn't really great so I would be even interested in private lessons in English.

I took a few classes back home where I made a skirt, pillow, bag... I would like to brush up and learn some more,

this freezing weather has me feeling very crafty.

I think there are a couple of threads on this already, but I had been wondering the same thing - I would particularly like to improve my dressmaking skills. So far I have found the following:

Quilt & Textilkunst: mainly quilting and art-quilt type courses. Frau Köhne speaks very good English and so do a lot of the tutors. I've taken a couple of courses here and was very happy with what I learnt.

Casa del Tessuti: a friend did a dressmaking course here and found it useful. She said that they don't really teach things like pattern alteration but can recommend someone who will draft a pattern to your measurements.

Nähschule München: I've just discovered this. No idea what it's like but the website looks encouraging.

The Volkshochschule does lots of courses too.

Anyone else have any experiences with this? At the moment I am using the internet and my extensive library for tips. Maybe we should do a sewing meetup some time.

That´s a great idea Bron. We can actually plan and meet up somewhere preferably mornings. I am a beginner too done 3 months course in VHS.

Lately I've been considering learning how to sew as well. For those who've already taken a course, how do you keep it up afterwards? do you have your own sewing machine ($$$), or rent, go somewhere to use theirs?

Thanks.

I've found another one: der kleine Schneiderladen which looks quite good. Both this one and Casa del Tessuti hire out sewing time on their machines.

I can't do mornings, but an after work coffee and chat or show and tell could be fun.

Regrading sewing space, I have my own machine and spread myself out over the entire house; I usually have at least four projects on the go. I bought the machine a few years ago when I had to have an operation and couldn't do any sport for a few weeks and it has been well worth it in my opinion. Next project: the perfect pair of work trousers (I am aware that this will take a lot of time).

Sounds interesting. Evenings would be little difficult as I have kids. Do you have time on Saturdays? Let me know. We can meet on Saturdays. Is somebody there to help if we have questions?

I have been going to a weekly sewing class at "Evangelisches Familienbildungswerk" at Sendlinger Tor. I found it very good, plus it is very inexpensive. I don't know about the English speaking capacity of the teacher (Ms. Klein), but you could find out. Currently I am pausing because I am having a baby.

See: http://www.efbs-muc.de

or more exactly

http://fwstel2w3.dyndns.org/kurs4einzelkurs.aspx?D=fbsmuc&G=3763595095796662605S-8827417246442504078

Good luck, Caroline

The lady at Casa del Tessuti was very friendly when I popped in there on Friday. They have some lovely fabrics, some of which are on sale at the moment, so I added to may stash. Their courses are only in German, this would be fine for me but if you really want English tuition then this is probably not the place.

I can do a Saturday meetup once the ski season is over. At the moment weekends are for training or baby-wrangling while my husband trains.

Another one for the list: Kristin's nähwerkstatt. A fabric shop and sewing cafe which also offers classes or simply machine hire by the hour. Based in the Westend and run by a very friendly and enthusiastic lady. Thanks to the friend who told me about this place, and no I did not leave empty-handed when I went to have a look. I'm afraid one thing I did forget to do was ask if she spoke English.

Another one, recommended by a different friend: Haus der Eigenarbeit. I haven't been here, but the friend is happy with the course she is doing.

On 3.2.2012, 14:01:14, Bron said:

I've found another one: der kleine Schneiderladen which looks quite good. Both this one and Casa del Tessuti hire out sewing time on their machines.

I can't do mornings, but an after work coffee and chat or show and tell could be fun.

Regrading sewing space, I have my own machine and spread myself out over the entire house; I usually have at least four projects on the go. I bought the machine a few years ago when I had to have an operation and couldn't do any sport for a few weeks and it has been well worth it in my opinion. Next project: the perfect pair of work trousers (I am aware that this will take a lot of time).

Which machine do you use @Bron, or you have any that you would recommend? I have been using a machine from the DDR, which was quite strong and good, but wanted to adjust to somethinf mordern, that can make together overlock, and buttonhole, however, many ,achines seem so weak and slow, something for beginners. I bought a singer brilliance, and it keeps swallowing threads. Can you please recommend me a relatively cheap(I know for a good one I have to invest) but strong and competent machine? Thank you, Aliya.

@AfricanGal : Once you have found a modern machine, would you care to sell or give away the old DDR machine? I am looking for something simple and indestructible. :)