PHORMS School, Frankfurt City

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

We are looking for an English school for my daughter who will going to grade 1 this fall. We have applied to PHORMS among a couple of other schools.

I would like to know if any of your kids go to this school and would love to have any feedback.

Thank you!

PHORMS is not an English school. It's a German private bilingual school with some lessons in English and some in German. I'm not sure but my understanding is that children learn their literacy (reading and writing) skills in German first. Can someone else confirm/deny this?

From what we saw during the tour of the school, we were told that other than German, everything else is taught in English. Is that the case?

Could some parent please confirm this? Are any subjects taught in German too?

Any feedback about the school would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I haven't replied until now because I don't have first hand experience as my children go to the school. We do however know quite a few people whose children go there. Everybody has different criteria for choosing a school, and you haven't written much about what you are looking for, so I realise the concerns I had might not be a problem for you!

All the families we know, whose children go there are happy with it. They are all German, and like the fact that their children are learning English and that it offers full day care.

We considered Phorms but my one concerns was that the number of English native speakers in the class was low. By far the majority of children in each class were German-German children. Some had been to bilingual kindergartens, however from my experience, children who go to a bilingual German/English kindergarten but do not speak English at home have some passive knowledge but rarely active knowledge. Many children spoke no English. I don't think it is a requirement that children speak English to be accepted - might be wrong on that though. I felt that my child was there to teach the rest English, and I was worried that progress in class would be slowed by the lack of English knowledge of many children.

I would observe what language the children talk to each other in at the school. If most children are talking German in the playground then that the language which they are most comfortable with. That could also be a problem for a child who only speaks English.

Dear all,

I just realized about this thread and hope my experience might help. Here my two cents.

My son is there, in the Taunus campus. So far I can only say positive things about the school.

My son joined last year, in the first grade. At that point facilities were not so good since a new building was under construction. Since this year, the campus is perfect for all children.

The school is bilingual and majority of subjects are in English. It´s about 70% English and 30% German. In our case, we are from an Spanish speaking country (Chile) and my son had 0% English. As for today, he has improved quite a lot and I´m impressed for the level he currently has. German is also good and he has no problem at all in communication. For those that has no German (I know one case in the same clasas of my son. They are from Spain), the school support them with extra German lessons. the same happend with English. So they put special attention on those cases that need extra work.

The communication is extreme in my opinion. You receive a lot of information from different entities of the school. This might be good, since everything is quite visible, but I simply think sometimes is too much. But of course, this is personal taste.

I really like the way how children are learning. Learn by doing or by playing. They ussually visit external places like museum, palm garden, supermarkets (i.e. Rewe: how they work there), etc. Those extra activities are as support of subjects they are covering.

So, in our case, we are absolutly satified with the results we see so far in my son and we are planning to put our daugther there as well by next year

As somebody else already mentioned, it always depend on what you are looking for. So please take this as a personal experience. the school fulfill our needs but you might have different ones.

If I can help you with something more specific, don´t hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Cristian

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. Our requirement is that the school should focus on English, developing the proficiency of the kids in the language as well as subjects being taught in English.

We are an Indian family living here in Germany and when we go back to India, a high level of English would be expected of her back home and that transition should be as smooth as possible.

We are happy with Phorms from what we saw during the school tour, but are also waiting to hear from a couple of other school.

Thank you so much folks, it is greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I live in Frankfurt and I have two daughters 8 and 10 years old.  They are currently in an international school that follows the british curriculum. One is in 3rd year and the other is in 5th year respectively. We are an Egyptian Family but because of the school, my children speak English (usually together and sometimes with me) as a mother tongue. The school is an English speaking community with lots of kids from UK and USA and all other nationalities speak English perfectly. 

I am thinking to move them to a bilingual school so that they learn German as their German level is very poor, although we have been in Germany for 4 years now.

Their school gives a German class a day but it is not that effective. I visited Phorms school in Taunus last week and had a school tour. The school looks nice with apparently nice teachers. My kids had a trial day on the same day and they said that the kids' level in English is relatively low. I am afraid that after they join this school, they forget the English because at home Arabic is our dominant language. I want them to learn English and German both as mother tongue.

Is there anyone here who have recent experience at Phorms or in another bilingual school that is of high standard of Education in both languages.

Your help is much appreciated,

Thank you

Hi, Any recent teaching work experience at Phorms Education? or any experience with children enrolled into it? Thanks in advance

53 minutes ago, fingers crossed said:

Hi, Any recent teaching work experience at Phorms Education? or any experience with children enrolled into it? Thanks in advance

When I went round the different schools in central Frankfurt I checked out Phorms. At the time it seemed slightly more chaotic and random than some others, but since then my impression is they're all much of a muchness. The impressions posted higher up this thread seem to add up with my experience at a different "international school" here.