What have you learned today?

164 posts in this topic

Not to place a camera too close to a Falcon X rocket taking off or in dry grass

506px-100-dither-point-2sec.gif

The camera was a quarter of a mile away :D

Installing Internet Via satellite for Lufthansa  in an Airbus A370....

Data transfer only starts at an altitude of 10000 feet (1.8miles for us Brits)

Even more surprising is that the On-board videos are streamed via satellite!

Interesting day indeed!

Learned from Google maps where I took a wrong turn on the way home yesterday, after work, driving a young co-worker to her tiny village. She had a two hour wait for the bus so, time to offer a ride! Next time I take her, I'll turn LEFT at that road sign. It should spare me an extra 30 or so minutes (scenic as it was, woods, old houses, pubs and other quaint pit stops and very narrow roads) of fuel time. 

Took a look at where I drove wrong the other day and discovered some interesting things about the area called Winterscheid. For example, I probaly drove right past the Devil's Chest (Teufelskiste) in the woods. Ever heard of a Klasper? Me neither. But we might see children using these between Good Friday and Easter, even in this area, long ago (scroll down to Brauchtum, photos off to the side). It was a wooden hammer that hit a board. Used to replace the bells ringing in the area  because 'the tongues of the bells have flown to Rome.'  Children would clap this wooden thing three times a day, sounding the Vespers. It seems to be a revived tradition. Has anyone here seen a Klasperzug