What have you learned today?

210 posts in this topic

I hope your neighbour will be fine, mlovett.

Yes, the Golden Years.

I haven´t learnt anything new today...but I´m optimistic..we´ve started going swimming a couple of times a week. I´ve realised doing 45 minutes without a break in the swimming pool is absolutely no problem..thought cramp might be a possible problem ( like last week.)..but No..not this time

The pool was full of people I´m starting to recognise as regulars...one or two are probably in their 70´s. Good for them!

Stave off your old age - DO something!

Disclaimer: but don´t block my path..you´re not in Aldi!!

( the lockers haven´t changed in the past 40 years..still no room for anything!!) Erm, so I HAVE learnt something new...

Stave off your old age - DO something!

John,you just sound like my wife! But I still do something...only if I can't get away with.Like shoveling snow off the sidewalk or when I have to go.

Tomorrow, 21 January 2013, is known as Blue Monday, the most depressing day of the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Monday_%28date%29

The weather sure isn't helping either!

I've learnt there is a Schloss in the Garath district of Dusseldorf.

Just back from an 18 km walk through snow, sleet and ankle-deep snow. 13 started, 7 finished, coffee and cake in a cafe in Benrath I've never been before and I learnt that the banana, chocolate and coconut cake is not as good as it looks.

I know that this is a fairly old post...

Well folks, I have learned that it is bloody difficult to draw up your family tree without a template to follow

Some years ago my brother was "into" family trees & he used some software to do the drawing of the resulting tree.

Dunno what the software is/was (I could ask him) - at the feast after the last funeral he pulled out the charts & was verifying the data with the people present.

I learnt that a banana bread with coconut milk recipe picked from a random site on the web does not turn out to be even remotely close to how I imagined it would turn out.

I´d like to learn how to EAT a whole head of garlic in less than ten seconds! Thanks for the link, HEM!

I learned that there's never been a Jesuit elected as a pope before, and there hasn't been another non-European pope in more than 1,000 years.

I learnt that Baloons are very bad for sealife, they dont degrade just get shredded and other animals think they are little squid try to eat them ,suffocate and die , an ecologist friend has just found some on an English beach from the olympics last year, I will think twice before buying them in future.

<-@

I learnt today (the hard way) that when making a curry for the missus do not ever! rub your eyes directly after chopping red hot chili peppers,lucky i didn't go for a pee! :blink:

I learnt today that 170 C is NOT hot enough for a goulash in the oven within 90 minutes. The recipe lied to me! :D So, ended up having egg and bacon for din din.... the goulash will be on Sunday! Tomorrow? Greek wedding...lashes of food everywhere..hope I can learn to stay awake!

I have learned today that my German is pretty damm good...

Shame the fuckers who reply cant make themself understood to me!!!

Learn German you bastards! Not Hessische! :lol:

I learnt today (thanks to NDR 2) that there are dead wasps in figs!

Ficus (the genus to which figs belong) pollination in general is one weird story...

I have learned today that if I make a pour-over coffee, it's better to use a coarser grind than a finer grind in order to avoid bitterness, although then I also have to increase the amount that I use.

The meaning of "0.5l sahm" written on every single beer glass in Germany. I thought that this is some old volume unit (like Maß=1l or Seidla=0.5l, so I thought 1 Sahm = 0.5l), but in reality this is a company producing the glasses, Sahm GmbH o_O

On 3/5/2015, 12:22:30, YoureKielingMe said:

I have learned today that if I make a pour-over coffee, it's better to use a coarser grind than a finer grind in order to avoid bitterness, although then I also have to increase the amount that I use.

I just read that if you add pinch of salt it takes away bitterness. Not sure that's true. Afraid to try it.

On 16 January 2015 6:30:36 pm, bobbylines said:

I learnt today (the hard way) that when making a curry for the missus do not ever! rub your eyes directly after chopping red hot chili peppers,lucky i didn't go for a pee! :blink:

(on Friday) I learned that if the BF asks for extra chillies on a XX hot jalapeño and pepperoni pizza, to ignore him, or you'll end up having to make an emergency yogurt drink just to get him through, and he'll suffer a blistered mouth and some painful bathroom visits for the next 24 hours.