Recommendations for Hausratversicherung

4 posts in this topic

Hello Friends,

We have Health and Privat Haftpflicht insurances and membership in Meiteverin. We (2+1) are moving to a new apartment by Feb, and the landlord informed us to take the Hausratversicherung. My stuffs at home are not really expensive, may be not worth to insure in a way. Since Germany is a insurance loving country ( :D ) I would like to go for the Hausratversicherung and may be Rechtschutz (legal) insurances. Please tell me the recommended companies for Hausratversicherung and Rechtschutz and importance of these insurances.Thank you all.

Neoanderson: why one size does not fit all in insurances, you can always start looking for the best options to this regards by checking out the last relevant test/rating results from the German consumer protection agency's magazine FINANZTEST if your German reading skills are ok. You can do this online with them, checkout the main website "Stiftung Warentest".

Or you can spare yourself the aggrevation of reading and comparing and go thru an independent broker, several of which are advertising on Toytown. This is not exactly "big" business for any of them if done correctly (only always sign up for 1-year contracts, those with 3 or more years duration just make you less flexible and only increase the commission of the agent, for little to no real rebate for you) but it is one service every good broker will obviously offer. That way you get good advice, have not to pay any fees and even have someone you can hold liable or get support in case whenever you need to file claims later.

Not sure why your landlord would want that you have a Hausrat insurance... because this would not cover anything related to the place you rent but indeed only (well mostly only) your belongings. It would be much more important for a landlord to see that you have a decent Haftpflicht insurance (3rd party liablity insurance) which you already seem to have. Because only that insurance would pay for damages to the property of the landlord.

Legal insurance may make sense, though you are already covered for tenant-landlord disputes thru your Mieterverein. Thus you only need general private, traffic and - if you are an employee - employment related coverage. Make sure you are not being sold also Mieterschutz coverage as you already have it.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Best to get in touch with TT members "starshollow" and/or "john_g". Both are independent insurance brokers, expats and have a lot of experience here in Germany.

EDIT: Me too slow! :rolleyes:

Plus I was also going to add that surely it's your decision whether or not to have a Hausratversicherung, as this (as I understand it) covers only your belongings. As john_g mentioned, much more important is a good Haftpflicht.

Hey all.

Does anybody know which company if any would cover your bicycle locked at the station during the day under Hausratversicherung?

I know you can take separate insurance for bicycles but was wondering if there is no company that includes this.