Canadian Student Wanting to Study in Germany

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am a canadian student who will graduate high school with an average of 91%. In addition to this I am part of the international baccalaureate and will be receiving my diploma. I know that an abitur is needed to be admitted into a German university but would this study be the equivalent? I believe the international baccalaureate is recognized world-wide.

Also in addition to that I have my sprach diploma stufen 2, would I need to still take a language test to be admitted into the university?

And than I have dual citizenship with Germany and Canada, and does this give me an advantage at all? Would I apply as a German citizen or as an International Student?

If this is sufficient to getting into german university please let me know and if not what can I do? Thank you so much for all answers it really be helpful!

- Marie

Also I would like to attend heidelberg. Is this sufficient?

Here's the link for what type of language tests/examination results Heidelberg University accepts. Look at "Besondere Anforderungen".

I think that since you are a dual citizen that you'd be able to collect BAföG if you need it.

The language requirements are fairly simple I got the testDaf at level 4 which was the easiest route for myself.I think canadian high school alone might not suffice. Even though your grade is highly recommendable. My experience as a 'canadian' applying for uni here was that they wanted at least 2 years of canadian university before they would accept me. However you should contact some of the people on this list and see if they will accept you high school or not: http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/studium/interesse/bewerbung/zugang/deutsche.html

If they don't accept it you may have to complete a technical abitur or do a couple years of canadian uni before coming here. A german friend of mine did a technical abitur to gain admittance to uni after only having done mittelere reife, so it's worth looking at if they have a similar program in Heidelburg that you could take. It might be a very good introduction into german education, which is very different from canadian style education.

I think that since you are a dual citizen that you'd be able to collect BAföG if you need it.

OP, you would be able to get BAföG... IF you qualify, the same way German students are expected to. In my case (also dual German/Canadian), my Canadian father makes too much money, and he is expected to support me. Which essentially means I am now living off of German student loans. (Which, if that's a decision you actually want to pursue, is something you can also consider.)

I took a quick look (albeit not too thoroughly) and it looks like you cannot get Canada Student Loans for Uni Heidelberg.

I'm not sure if you'd qualify for any DAAD scholarships because you're not really a foreign student, but not really a German one, either, but it's also something worth checking out to help you fund your studies.

I don't know how the University of Heidelberg works, but I went through the foreign students' office at the University of Cologne, because my Bachelor's degree was from outside of Germany; getting it recognized in order to gain acceptance into my Master's program meant that I did not go through the regular admissions office. However, holding a German passport means I was being considered as an EU student for purposes of entry restrictions, etc. It's best to contact the foreign students' office first to double-check what they require.

In principle, the IB diploma is recognized as equivalent to Abitur for University entrance. Look at theDAAD.de site for how to get more specific info relating

to particular unis, courses, language requirements etc.

I am a canadian student who will graduate high school with an average of 91%.

From which province? Some provincial diplomas are also recognised to be equivalent to an Abitur if you have the "correct" mix of courses.

My experience as a 'canadian' applying for uni here was that they wanted at least 2 years of canadian university before they would accept me.

It depends on where you are from. My OSSD including 7 OACs would have been enough for direct entry into a German university (I did my bachelors at home so it wasn't an issue).

I took a quick look (albeit not too thoroughly) and it looks like you cannot get Canada Student Loans for Uni Heidelberg.

On the other hand, if the OP starts the ball rolling early enough, it is possible to have foreign public universities approved for funding. I did this and it was not difficult, it just required having some forms filled out by the university and waiting for the Ministry to process them.

In principle, the IB diploma is recognized as equivalent to Abitur for University entrance.

Is it automatically accepted in all Bundesländer or would the OP need to go through the Anerkennungsverfahren?

Hi! I did the ib. It does count as arbitur IF you take two science courses, take German a1 (native), and at least two foreign languages, one at a high level. This is as far as I remember.

But this doesn't mean they won't admit you if you havent done this, here the requirements

http://www.ibo.org/country/universities_rec.cfm?country_code=Germany&current_country=D

Having the IB gives you a big advantage, as it is normally recognized as being equivalent to the German Abitur. The only exceptions are IB diplomas with combinations of courses which are severely deficient in basic areas like math and science. For details regarding the recognition of the IB in Germany, see here.

Regarding your plan to come to Germany for a Bachelor's degree, you might want to keep in mind that German university education is nowadays facing serious problems.

1. First of all, German Universities are severely overcrowded because of a change in the highschool system. While an Abitur was usually obtained at age 19 after 13 years of schooling (K-13), many Länder recently switched to a shortened Abitur after 12 years of schooling (K-12). During the transition period, Universities have had to simultaneously accept both the 19-year-olds coming from the old system and the 18-year-olds coming from the new one. You can imagine what the auditoriums look like.
  2. Secondly, a German university degree is no longer what it used to be. Germany recently abandoned its traditional Diplom, which was held in extremely high esteem both in Germany and abroad. The 4-year or 5-year Diplom was replaced by a 3-year "Bachelor's", which is unfortunately the end product of a very poorly thought-out design process. This new German "Bachelor's" has been very heavily criticized within Germany itself, and as far as I know, some of the better universities in the US and Canada won't even recognize it as being equivalent to their own bachelor's degrees.

If you're interested in alternatives, you have plenty of options. As a German citizen, you're also a citizen of the EU. Thanks to the EU, you have access to any EU country's universities under the same terms as the locals. While studying at a Latvian university teaching in Latvian might be somewhat less appealing to you, keep in mind that even in non-English-speaking countries, there are nowadays many undergraduate programs which are offered in English.

During the transition period, Universities have had to simultaneously accept both the 19-year-olds coming from the old system and the 18-year-olds coming from the new one. You can imagine what the auditoriums look like.

Yes. First hand experience here. Our son (18) got his Abitur in June 2011 and has been attending university in Hannover since October 2011. It is SO full. They've taken to offering early morning and evening lectures to fit everyone in.

The 4-year or 5-year Diplom was replaced by a 3-year "Bachelor's", which is unfortunately the end product of a very poorly thought-out design process.

I guess it must be an exception, but the BSc in Wirtschaftwissenschaften (aka WiWi) that he is going for is 8 semesters instead of 6 like most of the other BA/BSc programs. After that he can do a 2 semester Master's degree if he chooses.

I do agree that they switched over to the Bachelor system without putting all that much though into and that there is much room for improvement.

This article may help you:

http://www.123bildung.de/high-school-im-ausland-bis-zum-abi-das-international-baccalaureate-wird-auch-in-deutschland-anerkannt-673774.html

Das sogenannte „International Baccalaureate“ (IB) ist ein Abschluss, mit dem Absolventen in fast allen Ländern der Welt studieren dürfen. Auch in Deutschland wird das IB anerkannt. Schulen, die diesen Abschluss anbieten wollen, müssen sich zuvor von der International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) in Genf zertifizieren lassen. Highschoolberater ec.se vermittelt Jugendliche aus Deutschland an renommierte Privatschulen in den USA, Kanada oder Australien, an denen das IB möglich ist.