Life without alcohol

575 posts in this topic

Again, smoking. Is that an Illness?

I wonder how literally we're talking here.

Smoking and drinking to the point of ill health are compulsions. Compulsive behavior in some cases can be termed an illness, I believe.

Smoking is bad, mmmkay? It is believed to be the cause of any number of life-threatening illness. But until you're diagnosed with one of them, you're probably getting on OK.

Compulsive drinking on the other hand can harm every single aspect of your life but can't necessarily be examined under a microscope. I wrote before about being "sick" from alcohol. I don't mean cirrhosis, obviously. Nor the common hangover. Alcoholism and all its nasty cycles can wreck your life.

If the first word you connect with alcohol-related illness is "hangover" or "liver failure" then you're probably not an alcoholic.

If you don't need to be told twice that alcoholism is an illness because you know exactly what it means for booze to make you mentally, emotionally and spiritually ill without any evident long-term physical detriment, then you might be an alcoholic--or know one very well.

It is interesting about the triggers right enough and good one avoiding them Jeremy. Personally I'm going to be 8 weeks without a drink by the time I get anywhere near another trigger, but then it will be the mother of all triggers I ever get and they will be in quick succession from being in civilisation in a hotel with a bar downstairs, being on a 7hr flight and offered regular drinks, then getting home and having my local at the end of the road and that happy feeling to be home.

Erm...sorry to break this to you, but I'm almost certain I know what will happen when you "get out", and so do you. I'm only speaking for myself, but I know only too well the daily pressures of living in the Middle East, and those who never been there simply have no idea of what the pressure is like.

You got a pool on compound? Being winter it's too cold right now but I swam in my lunch hour 9 months of the year, anything from 500m to a mile. I was really fit out there. Of course it's all gone south since...

If you don't need to be told twice that alcoholism is an illness because you know exactly what it means for booze to make you mentally, emotionally and spiritually ill without any evident long-term physical detriment, then you might be an alcoholic--or know one very well.

This pretty much sums it up, well said. Every time I see a line like this (I spend hours googling this!) I could kick myself though. There have been times the last few years I've felt unable to deal with even minor stresses in life and been emotional for no apparent reason. Why did it take me so long to realise this!? :(

Erm...sorry to break this to you, but I'm almost certain I know what will happen when you "get out", and so do you. I'm only speaking for myself, but I know only too well the daily pressures of living in the Middle East, and those who never been there simply have no idea of what the pressure is like.

I think I will be fine and stick strong. I've a date in April is my target for more than one reason, it's all I need to see me through it at the moment. Fingers crossed. I really need to prove then that I can do this for more reason than one. Do you have a date or time in mind?

Last trip a dog went over a landmine on ground we would nip for a pee if out and about in that area and the bus I was meant to take to the airport got shot up, this time 50+ people were killed yesterday at a religious festival not 10mins up the road. How on earth do you unwind after this without getting smashed?! I can only imagine how much I would drink if I was in the army and actually dealing with stuff like this on a regular basis.

You got a pool on compound? Being winter it's too cold right now but I swam in my lunch hour 9 months of the year, anything from 500m to a mile. I was really fit out there. Of course it's all gone south since...

There is no pool just a little gym with treadmills and bikes and some free weights. Better than a kick in the teeth. Am absolutely convinced I'm already feeling the benefit of doing something physical every day though. Buzzing (in a good way!) just now :) I'm hoping regular exercise brings on the improved state of mind faster. Are you doing much yourself?

That´s awful, Schotte. Yes, it must be difficult to unwind without getting smashed - wherever you are sounds like hell on Earth. ALL the MORE reason, I hope , for you to want to live a healthy life and a LONG one.

Man, human society can be sick at times. Killing people for their different f..ing religion or for a different -ism. ANY -ism.

Schotte: just to cheer you up! Remember at the World Cup in Argentina in 1978 the Scots fans´ banner in their match against the Soviet Union? Alcoholism v. Communism!!! The BEST EVER banter I´ve EVER seen in my life -sheer genius! Scots do great humour! ( Stay off the f..ing booze tonight, mate! ). :)

By the way, Schotte ( who is still off the booze ) another little Glaswegian story..can´t remember her name but this Glaswegian lass took her Muslim boyfriend home to meet her dad. Dad found out the lad was Muslim and asked " What kind of Muslim are you? ".

Red face, stammering, shyness..erm , sir, I...

Dad repeated the question....more red face, stammering, shyness. Erm, sir , I ...

Dad got annoyed " Jimmy, what kind of a f--ing Muslim are you? Celtic or Rangers? "

Gets his coat and slinks way....

Remember at the World Cup in Argentina in 1978 the Scots fans´ banner in their match against the Soviet Union? Alcoholism v. Communism!!! )

Nope - we played Peru, Iran and Holland (won 3-2 thanks to THAT Archie Gemmill goal). Only thing worth rembering from Allys tartan army. Willie Johnston sent home for drug abuse. Guess you meant 1982 where we played Russia in Spain.

Oh, I stand corrected, poppet! I was probably the one drinking in 1978!!! :) Russia? NO! Soviet Union!!! ( gets his retaliation in first...!! ). That´s like saying Britain beat Holland 3-2!!! :D

( gets his disclaimer in here quickly: or was it the Netherlands?!! )

Well if we're on the Glaswegian joke thread...A Glaswegian accidentally dropped a 10p coin out of an upstairs window while ironing the curtains (!). Ran downstairs to collect it, opened the door, and it hit him on the top of his head...

Are you doing much yourself?

I'm probably fitter than I sound. Yesterday I was skiing with my son and daughter but having to ride a T bar "schlepplift with the bar at your knees isn't easy.

I'm a member of a gym where I go twice or so a week incl sauna detox which I really love.

Tomorrow I hope to go Nordic skiing on a "Loipe" near me. And I'm tasked with a recce of a ski piste (downhill) this week to see if its good for the kids next weekend.

This may actually give the impression however that I am a competent skier...if only.

Reading that makes me wonder why I didn't go back to Germany despite being desperate too and what on earth I did wrong to end up in Iraq! :D

Blatantly copied from somewhere, and because you can never put Edinburgh down enough:

A lady from Glasgow was visiting Edinburgh's Morningside. Her hostess was determined to make the Glaswegian lady feel cheap and unimportant. "My dear," said the Morningside matron snobbishly, "here in the Capital we think breeding is everything." "Oh, really," the lady from Glasgow replied. "In Glasgow we think it's fun, too, but we try to have a few outside interests as well."

This is also good:

Said the Englishman to the boastful Scot: "Take away your mountains, glens and lochs, and what have you got?" "England", replied the Scot. :P

Tomorrow I hope to go Nordic skiing on a "Loipe" near me.

Well as promised I did get out there, and this was my reward this morning, it was fantastic! almost the whole Loipe to myself!

Now I remember why I chose to live near the Alps.

You can view pics from it if you like here:

http://iamrogertheshrubber.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/862/

Photos look awesome Jeremy. I am very envious. Trade you it for the sand? :D

I did 30km on bike tonight. I am absolutely convinced daily exercise is now the best medicine. Tomorrow is day 30 of my new alcohol free life and I'm quite content sitting here with a cup of green tea :)

True to form I fell within 100m of starting off! Lest anyone think I am one of those supercompetent types looking effortless on the Loipe!

Although I've run the Loipe which runs right by my house (100m away) this was further away and one of the most stunning I've ever seen.

It's a total body workout for the shoulders, legs and body. I'll sleep well tonight.

Must say I'm wondering this week if things might be better.

Went out Saturday (rare these days) had no more than my usual (about 6) but spent half the night talking to the big white telephone - throat still hurts today!

Well, here I am fresh from very alcoholic holidays, decided to give up alcohol for a little while, to let my liver regenerate a bit after the abuse I put it through in 2011, and find that Schotte has hijacked my non existant thread. Bad, bad form.

Anyways, good for you!

Have you found a palatable drink for a night out yet? I would happily drink maracujaschorle or iced tea the whole evening, but I don't think I'm gonna find too much of that at the places I'm going. I shudder at the thought of drinking coke or similar, not least because they would defeat the purpose of giving my liver a well deserved rest, and non-alcoholic beer seems just wrong.

Thanks for sharing your story Synfoola. Always good to hear the success stories!

I have only ever had soda and lime or ginger beer when I would have otherwise had beer. Can't see this taking off, had been spending more time having coffees etc and just left pubs early the times I've gone out. Don't really have this option of bionades some have talked about on this thread in my neck of the woods.

I personally agree with the non-alco beer I can't see that concept sitting well in my head to be honest but different strokes for different blokes I guess. If I work out something I'll post, please do likewise I will try anything to fit in a bit better in the pub!

31 days today I am and got 30 or so before I'm anywhere near a pub again so all good. Really really can't wait to see how much better I feel!

Congratulations, Schotte. It's good to know that your behavior modification is working. Remember, we all want you to succeed. If you're kind of compulsive, that can help. Once you've changed your status quo it's uncomfortable to move out of it again.

I think what you have to remember schotte is that alchohol is a depressive, it took me absolute years to 'click' that that was the case! I was always depressed on a Sunday, hated my thoughts, couldnt see the good things in my life, was negative about everything,but always just thought it was a Sunday feeling, never EVER thought it was anything to do with drinking the night before! I've been reading your thread from the begining and can see a difference in your mentality already. Clarity is coming through. you really are doing such a great job....Yes there is life after alcohol.