Life without alcohol

575 posts in this topic

Don't know if you are used to going to the gym every day, but whatever don't overdo it. The German addiction clinics call it Suchtverlagerung. Meaning you start doing something different to excess. Be it internet, sport (VERY common), eating chocolate, drinking excess coffee, taking vitamin pills, gambling etc. While I accept that most of these are a much better addiction to have than 'Sprit', (that is indeed 'Sprit' as in fuel and not Sprite), they can bring their own problems as can anything when used or taken to excess.

Any Scotsman that can survive Hogmanay without a bevvy is already doing well.

Keep it up!

Keep on posting, Schotte! If you keep trying to love yourself and your health, your friends here will love you , too, and back you to the hilt. I´ll give you a pat on the back whether you want one or not!!!

The world and life are great, Schotte...I mean , you do realise ( now you´re mentally swtiched on! ) that the mighty Southend United won 5-2 away to Northampton today, don´t you? :) . Your mob apparently also sneaked a win...so , hey , it´s all working out!!!

Hugs, bruv!

Noted poppet, hadn't thought of that. Being a bit OCD with vitamins as well but blaming that on the food being utter garbage here. Gambling has crossed my mind actually. It's like you know me B)

A friend said some years back I had an "addictive personality" but I really didn't get nor care to find out what this meant, maybe this is it.

Any Scotsman that can survive Hogmanay without a bevvy is already doing well.

Soda and lime all night in Ashton Lane mate. It was absolute bollox seeing all these seasonal drinkers getting messy in my favourite haunts I have to say as I was still doubting what I was going to do. Seems worth it now :)

I truly hope neither you nor any of your family and friends are ever affected by this illness.

Except it's not an illness. It's a choice. It's the only addiction that we seem to describe as an Illness. We don't call smoking an illness. Nor a heroin addiction.

Because we almost all like a drink somehow it seems easier to call it an illness, or disease, when things go wrong when we use it.

Keep on posting, Schotte! If you keep trying to love yourself and your health, your friends here will love you , too, and back you to the hilt. I´ll give you a pat on the back whether you want one or not!!!

The world and life are great, Schotte...I mean , you do realise ( now you´re mentally swtiched on! ) that the mighty Southend United won 5-2 away to Northampton today, don´t you? . Your mob apparently also sneaked a win...so , hey , it´s all working out!!!

Hugs, bruv!

haha! I'm sharing a room with a Dundee Utd fan at the moment, I have him a 2 goal start and the draw and I thought Celtic were going to do it but it wasn't to be and I lost the 2 mars bar bet! :(

Certainly looking at things more positively than the initial dark few weeks. I think a lot of it has to do with forcing yourself into it though. As soon as bad thoughts creep in about messing up cause of being drunk or whatever, I stand up and walk away for a bit or make a tea or something. My coworkers must think I'm mad, some hours I can be up and down like a yo-yo :)

It was Jinty's, but not for long. Being honest I was absolutely desperate to get in bed and pretend it wasn't really happening!!! :D

Except it's not an illness. It's a choice.

Not often I disagree with you. But this time big time.

In a review in 2001, McLellan et al. compared the diagnoses, heritability, etiology (genetic and environmental factors), pathophysiology, and response to treatments (adherence and relapse) of drug dependence vs type 2 diabetes mellitus, hypertension, and asthma. They found that genetic heritability, personal choice, and environmental factors are comparably involved in the etiology and course of all of these disorders, providing evidence that drug (including alcohol) dependence is a chronic medical illness

Source, amongst others: Here

If its a choice why is there in certain cases significant evidence, mostly recent, that alcoholism or at least the danger of becoming an alcoholic can be hereditary.

A study in Sweden followed alcohol use in twins who were adopted as children and reared apart. The incidence of alcoholism was slightly higher among people who were exposed to alcoholism only through their adoptive families. However, it was dramatically higher among the twins whose biological fathers were alcoholics, regardless of the presence of alcoholism in their adoptive families.

Source: Alcoholism - is it inherited?

Gambling has crossed my mind actually.

Celtic were going to do it but it wasn't to be and I lost the 2 mars bar bet!

Ah, the start of a long slippery slope. :P

Schotte dear, you're still "surprised by joy", as C.S. Lewis described his conversion. You've experienced a revelation and its affect on you may wane. I'm very happy for you now, and as you see there are many of us in TT who want you to succeed. Remember that we're all pulling for you. It takes a village to cure an addiction.

If its a choice why is there in certain cases significant evidence, mostly recent, that alcoholism or at least the danger of becoming an alcoholic can be hereditary.

For sure there is considerable evidence that we have differing reactions to alcohol. Trying to think where I saw it but I did read something about how there are a small percentage of people who just don't react. Many who enjoy it and a small number who react heavily to it. Doesn't make it an illness or disease. Just means some people are more prone to craving it. Ultimately they decide to partake.

Sorry, but that video was just some guys own personal opinion, while he made a speech at a Toastmasters meeting. Wasn't even a good speech.

I like the Websters definition where alcoholism is defined as neither disease nor choice. It's a disorder.

al·co·hol·ism noun \ˈal-kə-ˌhȯ-ˌli-zəm, -kə-hə-\

Definition of ALCOHOLISM

1: continued excessive or compulsive use of alcoholic drinks

a : poisoning by alcohol

b : a chronic disorder marked by excessive and usually compulsive drinking of alcohol leading to psychological and physical dependence or addiction

Sorry, but that video was just some guys own personal opinion, while he made a speech at a Toastmasters meeting. Wasn't even a good speech.

Try Penn & Tellar then. Also excellent destruction of the cult that is AA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tPNgHrIkgo

And here is the genetic component to the tolerance to alcohol. Doesn't make it an Illness. It makes it and addiction some people are more prone to. Ultimately they remain in control of what they put into their body.

Genetic component of tolerance to alcohol.

Being a bit OCD with vitamins as well but blaming that on the food being utter garbage here.

I understand you are out in the Middle East. Now one thing I regret not doing out there which I do lots of now - is investigate as much local food as possible. For instance, I had friends who regularly weekend drove up to the Qatif fish market for the latest catch off the boats. Near our university in Dhahran, also, there used to be small market stands by the roadside, whereas before I became food aware, I always bought in the Uni supermarket imported UK/US rubbish.

Arabic food is fantastic and often healthy. Two shawarmas and that is all you need for a daily meal from a local takeaway, Try muttabal or hummus stuff, or get out to a souq! Or are you stuck in the compound?

This is my first weekend without alcohol - since... ages. I took in what Dessa said about triggers and it takes a dry weekend to see them for what they are. Usually with me it's weekend, I buy fresh milk from a local farm Friday evenings and there's a beer shop across the road - I'm weak then. Saturday also I normally like a few full sstrength beers watching Top Gear but afterwards I carry on and head down The Pit! Last night I drank Erdinger Alcoholfrei and slept 6 hours - I was awake at 6.30am - no shit taste in my mouth, no bad head.

So thanks to Dessa, I've learnt about where my "triggers" come from, and awareness means you can control them. I attribute both Schotte and Dessa in helping me out. Thank you both and everyone else.

As per my above post , and you're saying the same thing without quite agreeing, there is a difference in peoples response to alcohol. However they remain in control of whether they use it.

Indeed knowing about this is actually incredibly enabling if we were to check for it. If you know you have the gene then hopefully you'll be less likely to use alcohol, a choice. Drinking is a destructive habit. Perhaps the most destructive in humanity. I've lived through first hand the destruction it can cause. I don't have sympathy for the person who was addicted, indeed I hold him in the highest contempt. I have a huge amount of sympathy for those who's lives he ruined by his acts.

Again, smoking. Is that an Illness?

Schotte dear, you're still "surprised by joy", as C.S. Lewis described his conversion. You've experienced a revelation and its affect on you may wane.

I hope it doesn't wane any time soon...what then?!

Arabic food is fantastic and often healthy. Two shawarmas and that is all you need for a daily meal from a local takeaway, Try muttabal or hummus stuff, or get out to a souq! Or are you stuck in the compound?

This is my first weekend without alcohol - since... ages. I took in what Dessa said about triggers and it takes a dry weekend to see them for what they are. Usually with me it's weekend, I buy fresh milk from a local farm Friday evenings and there's a beer shop across the road - I'm weak then. Saturday also I normally like a few full sstrength beers watching Top Gear but afterwards I carry on and head down The Pit! Last night I drank Erdinger Alcoholfrei and slept 6 hours - I was awake at 6.30am - no shit taste in my mouth, no bad head.

I'm in a compound, I'm not allowed anywhere outside on my own :( One of the locals brought kebabs in one day though, they were FANTASTIC! Unfortunately our food is really garbage inside though.

It is interesting about the triggers right enough and good one avoiding them Jeremy. Personally I'm going to be 8 weeks without a drink by the time I get anywhere near another trigger, but then it will be the mother of all triggers I ever get and they will be in quick succession from being in civilisation in a hotel with a bar downstairs, being on a 7hr flight and offered regular drinks, then getting home and having my local at the end of the road and that happy feeling to be home. I'm dreading this already. Feel like it is a total wall of them coming up and a few weeks away yet but it is already playing on my mind. Although by that time as I say will be 8 weeks. Will be a different place mentally to where I've been for 10years or so. Maybe I'll be ultra confident about it.Maybe I won't.

For the moment I stick with the thought that everyone seems to say even the smallest drink makes you feel horrendous after such a while off it but maybe this won't be enough.