Life without alcohol

575 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Perfect Poise said:

Genuinely surprised on your health kick you haven't gone the whole hog and gone wheat/gluten free, Jeremy. From what I am currently finding out, eating a bread roll (wholemeal or otherwise) is much worse for you (and has less nutritional value than) a Snickers bar!

I think the point being made here is that wheat (bread), suger, etc., become the exception rather than the rule.  I love bread, but try to only indulge at the weekend, so it's not doing the harm that eating it every day did.

I bet if I went and over-nighted at Jeremys Tomorrow he would be straight off the wagon...

Shit-faced before 21.30 and saying bollox to this musli crap at Beakfast time....

Just sayin...

3 hours ago, Perfect Poise said:
12 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

I bet if I went and over-nighted at Jeremys Tomorrow he would be straight off the wagon...

Shit-faced before 21.30 and saying bollox to this musli crap at Beakfast time...

Just sayin...

I've no doubt you're right, but again, it would be an exception.  I suspect Jeremy is feeling better today than he has in years and that's what brings him back to this way of eating/living if and when he does fall off the wagon, at least that's how it works for me. You can break away for a few days, but when you start feeling sluggish and unhealthy again, you remember what it's like not to feel that way and you get back to it, then all is good with the world again.

7 hours ago, Perfect Poise said:

Genuinely surprised on your health kick you haven't gone the whole hog and gone wheat/gluten free, Jeremy. From what I am currently finding out, eating a bread roll (wholemeal or otherwise) is much worse for you (and has less nutritional value than) a Snickers bar!

Oh please don't get the impression I am some kind of male version of one of these slim healthy perfect models, as I fall far far short of any kind of ideal. I know the two extremes, eating "white" and all that jazz, and the other what I call "rabbit food" and sandals. Piggy knows I veer between the two often! Last night I made up a load of chips! God it was nice. But we'll balance that out with lower carb stuff which the kids will eat. The struggle to find stuff the kids will eat is intense. I ought to write such a book "My Struggle" but I don't think would translate very well into German...

5 hours ago, Tap said:

I've no doubt you're right, but again, it would be an exception.  I suspect Jeremy is feeling better today than he has in years and that's what brings him back to this way of eating/living if and when he does fall off the wagon, at least that's how it works for me. You can break away for a few days, but when you start feeling sluggish and unhealthy again, you remember what it's like not to feel that way and you get back to it, then all is good with the world again.

Tap is correct. I don't think I'm the only one to discover the secret of feeling better with the sugar thing. Jamie's new book shows even HE didn't "get it" till a few years ago - the secret being watching the blood sugar. 

I don't actually like living here all that much any more to be truthful, but it is, or at least was until this refugee crisis, a brilliant safe place to raise a family. I'm the kind of person who builds impractical things like intranets, data systems by "winging it" and thinking on my feet, improvising - everything this "bescheinigung" obssessed country dislikes. I'm anarchic, spontaneous, quite creative, but I find myself at 49 not needed by any big firms out there, in spite of trying relentlessly. The one thing going for me is my gorgeous kids who I am crazy about. When I lost my Mum 5 years ago my entire world, and my old way of seeing it, fell apart. I've rebuilt it somehow. Health and nutrition were key to that.

I've been helping a lady near me 2 years now by carting all her card waste to the Wertstoffhof. She has a man with Alzheimers lying in bed and it tugged at my heartstrings as I helped out for a few Euros. But it was the realisation recently that I was being used which led me to leave the whole thing last week. That was a hard decision, like leaving a bad situation or job really. I had to think of my own family at the weekend (I was working Saturday mornings for this lady). We make lots of bike/ski trips Sat/sun you see.

And dont forget the trips to the Sauna where some slovakian chic winks at you whilst looking at the ceiling!!

Come on Kiddo....

Keep going in the right direction Jeremy. It's very hard to break the bad habits of our adult lifetime. Some habits were gained through ignorance and some just by not caring about ourselves. My personal wagon is decrepit though the wheels do still turn, just. I hurt my head often with the effort to make all things better for me and my family.  True, Germany isn't always kind to many of us though the strength is to find the positives as much as possible.  I truly admire real 'non Germans' moving to Germany as life can sometimes  be very arduous. I'm inbetween as I'm a German who had never lived here until 5 years ago though had some inkling of lifestyle from visits here as a kid and being raised as a German in England. 

It's sometimes surprising which family members and friends are supportive of our reinvention endeavours. Some have shown themselves as the stereotypical Energy Vampires.  Sad in my case that my wider family have been the light weights on the support front. I'm happy though that my husband, kiddo and me fully support each other and that's what matters most.  My hypothetical Christmas card list has gotten shorter....

All the very best to anyone aiming to make their lives better. :)

emkay is right, it isn't always easy, but if we were back in our home countries, there would be other problems there to deal with.

Keep going Jeremy, I've fallen off my personal wagon so many times, but I keep getting back on because I know it's doing me good and that's helping me cope with lifes trials.

43 minutes ago, emkay said:

Keep going in the right direction Jeremy. It's very hard to break the bad habits of our adult lifetime.  I truly admire real 'non Germans' moving to Germany as life can sometimes  be very arduous.

Yes it is. I often feel like "Number Six":

"Where am I?"

"In the Village"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tra3Zi5ZWa0

I think I used to worry so much about green issues until about a year ago. Two things changed my perception of modern times:

1. The discovery that obesity is caused by fat turned out to be a lie. It was always carbohydrates. This was based on the "Ancel Keys study".

2. The discovery that there is no real "climate crisis" whilst reading Michael Crichton's "State of Fear". Here is a video of MC speaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDCCvOv3qZY

On 4/26/2016, 10:14:11, SpiderPig said:

Jezza

have you had a tipple or two this evening?

I'll try to answer that sensibly.

If you'd asked that even 18 months ago I might have replied shyly yeah a bit. But nope I don't touch it even now. I watch my sugar like a hawk and yes I've eased up on the family health thing. however when the nagging aches and pains come the wife and kids soon come to me as I know what's wrong with them usually.

I used to drink as I was so depressed at the state of things worldwide and used to believe all the media. I was a Guardian/BBC reader until reading the above writers, not to mention a mammoth ebook by a Scot Martin Keerns which kind of blew my mind as to why things have been like they are so long. 

In My Humble Opinion, the most pressing issue of our time is ending war and getting back to peace. Not yet "fair justice blah blah" but ending this war of terror. If you were close to that as I was - military and Middle East - you will know the malaise most of us had the last 15 years since 9-11. Listening to the alternative Media such as Alex Jones, it seems we've turned a corner in the fight. We've been mind controlled to such a huge degree that we can barely think straight. One of those elements which almost destroyed us was fake nutritional science. If they lied about that (or simply got it wrong) then they messed up half the other stuff we believe as gospel such as manmade global warming. The tide is now thankfully turning. 

Suggest you listen to some of the heroes Alex Jones interviews here;:

And I add a short extract from an email (I'm sure he won't mind) from an old climbing friend who I used to trust with my life when I told him my career was absolutely dead now owing to raising kids:

"when we come to review our lives from the other side, it is highly likely that you will be happier with how you spent the last 8 years
with the kids than I will be with a modest pile of cash. "

I went a long way from scuba diving a Saudi oilfield between oil platforms to pushing a pram!

Now I have to go and knock shitty old tiles of an old lady's step! :)

Not many of the detox facilities are three weeks long. I feel this is actually very beneficial. It is the time spent there, that you actually have time to get your head clear and think about what you have been doing to yourself, and what you want to change. Just getting it out of your system is the medical part and, therefore, the only part the public health insurance wants to pay. The facility in Bayreuth has to fight for each and every patient after the Initial 5-8 days or so. Whether they are actually just arguing for financial reasons or not, I don't know, but I agree with them completely that the full 3 weeks are necessary if one is serious about it.

There are many, however, who aren't serious about it, as I mentioned in my last post. They know all the tricks though. Knowing that I was going to Detox the next day, I already stopped drinking the day before. Unbeknownst do me at the time, that was a mistake. I showed up at detox with a 0.0 alcohol level, and was confronted with the question of what I was even doing there.

Patients who (ab)use the System know to show up with a certain alcohol level. Higher than 1.0 and lower than 1.8 or something like that. Higher than 1.8 and they check you into the complete lockdown ward. Lower than 1 and they question whether you just want a couple weeks off...

Anyway, during these 3 weeks, you take classes on things from art to woodworking, among other things, and get visits from AA, NA (Narcotics anonymous) and Freundeskreis (similar to AA). If you want to take the next step, you write an Alcohol CV, detailing your alcohol abuse and associated problems over the years. This is generally sent on to the DRV (public retirement insurance) to see if they will approve (and pay for) rehab. Beforehand, you pick out a rehab facility of your choice. It is not guaranteed that you will get that facility, but they try to accomodate your wishes.

To be continued...

Good on you admitting there's a problem and for making the hardest decision and that's actually to start with the Reha. Hat's off to you.

3 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

The beginning of last August I drank for 4 days straight. It started on a Saturday and just kept on going. It was 4 days of drink, sleep, drink, sleep. On Monday I took a vacation day. On Tuesday my wife called in sick for me. On Wednesday she took me to the doctor, who made an appointment for me to check into detox on Thursday.

I do not understand how your wife let you drink for 4 days?

1 minute ago, SmurfLee said:

I do not understand how your wife let you drink for 4 days?

What was she supposed to do to stop me? I‘ve never been a violent person, even when drunk, but how exactly do you force a drunk man to stop if he doesn’t want to? 

She waited for a relatively sober moment then talked about going to the dr. and I agreed.