Life without alcohol

575 posts in this topic

Try it at room temperature; great test for many beers.

:lol: Why on earth would I want to disillusion myself like that?!

I also love Supermalt though and the alchohol free Weizen reminds me of a less sweet version of that, so my tastebuds probably can't be trusted at all.

As has already been pointed out all "Alcohol Free" beers have a little alcohol in them, as do fruit juices, it's a natural process. In my experience the best Alcohol free beers are the pilsner ones. Probably because they are a little bitter which disguises that strange after taste that alcohol free lager (Helles) has. They are all, however, a poor substitute for the real thing.

s.

Very, very curious definition of the word "lucky".

Cheaper on the pocket, no headache the next day if one forgets to drink enough water before crashing out, no possible addiction developing.

I love alcohol-free Caipirinha. They normally use Ginger Ale instead of the alcohol and it tastes just great.

And yes, it might be a bit pricey for what´s inside, but I always tell myself that I am anyway spending less than an alcoholic cocktail and I am doing a big favor to my body.

However I drink very rarely since I get a horrible hangover even with a small quantity of alcohol, it sometimes lasts 2 days (and I hate it).

So it´s easier for me. Some said that´s because I am not used to drink, and I swear my friends tried very hard, but hangovers were always horrible.

Else I drink ice tea or if I am in a biergarten, zitronenlimonade (tastes so much better than sprite to me).

well, i never liked the taste of alcohol and am quite happy living without one. never get what the fuss about.

I never had a booze problem was just a bit of a binge drinker. These days I hardly drink and don't miss it.

Got a toddler and we live out in the sticks, different chapter now.

My dad was an alky we all hated it and him.

You can see when people start to get intoxicated - their behaviour changes - and they can become unpredictable. The problem is that they can't see it.

Or horribly, boringly predictable, which is nearly as bad. :P

To say I was an enthusiastic drinker is putting it mildly and it all started back at Sheffield Poly in the 1980's, back in those utopian days I was a student who benefitted from an 80% rebate on my rent from the nice people at the council, I redistributed this dividend to the hard working licensees in and around Sheffield city centre...and so the love affair with beer began.

Roughly 20 years later I suddenly realised that I had not gone more than 3 days straight without beer and then it was only when I was ill.I decided to see what it was like without the elixir and gave up for a month, while also training for a marathon at the same time.It was ...amazing, after a dodgy couple of days, I felt reborn and was suddenly running like the wind, losing weight easily and able to do complex mathematical equations while simultaneously philosophising on the meaning of life... without breaking sweat.

When the time came to try the first pint after the drought, i took a sip and had a strong vivid flashback of drunken periods and wretched hangovers over the many years and paused for a moment to think 'do i really want this again'..., but... I... continued.

I can honestly say coming to Germany has reduced the drinking massively (now with a family) and I am a bit of a lightweight drinking wise, but I still cannot stop completely, nor do I want to! , However I would recommend having a break now and then, it's a real eye opener :)

well, i never liked the taste of alcohol and am quite happy living without one. never get what the fuss about.

Nobody drinks for the taste of alcohol. It's the effect, happiness in a bottle etc. You should try it.

The sound of beer pouring into a glass can make the body put out hormones.

(unfortunately theres a bit of a dark side to it)

I try to stick to only having alcohol once a week and most of the time I can stick to that.

I've tried stopping completely but have found that that doesn't really fit well with my lifestyle. We very rarely drink at home but we go out 3-4 times a week and a lot of those events are just a little more fun when you have a few drinks. I do find there's a point after a couple of drinks where inhibitions are a little bit looser and people are more open before one gets too drunk where I probably enjoy myself and others a bit more than when we're all sober.

I can honestly say coming to Germany has reduced the drinking massively (now with a family)

When I moved to Germany my drinking increased massively.

Nobody drinks for the taste of alcohol. It's the effect, happiness in a bottle etc. You should try it.

The sound of beer pouring into a glass can make the body put out hormones.

(unfortunately theres a bit of a dark side to it)

BS. That's the only reason I drink. I love the complexity of a fine whiskey, tequila or wine. I love the way a good wine can enhance and complement a good meal, and I like trying different kinds of beers. I don't often drink cocktails, as I find them too expensive for what you get, but when I do, I drink them for the taste, not the alcohol content. It's why I don't do shots (what's the point?). Why does drinking alcohol have to mean getting drunk? I drink. I like alcoholic beverages. I very rarely get drunk.

BS. That's the only reason I drink. I love the complexity of a fine whiskey, tequila or wine. I love the way a good wine can enhance and complement a good meal, and I like trying different kinds of beers. I don't often drink cocktails, as I find them too expensive for what you get, but when I do, I drink them for the taste, not the alcohol content. It's why I don't do shots (what's the point?). Why does drinking alcohol have to mean getting drunk? I drink. I like alcoholic beverages. I very rarely get drunk.

that's the whole point. i don't understand the complexity of a fine whiskey or whathaveyou. can't even differentiate the good wine from bad (they all taste the same to me). guess i'm just a simple girl :)

Bionade isn't too bad. Not as sickly sweet as most soft drinks and doesn't have enough bubbles to get up your nose.

Great post VillaTempest. Thanks for suggestions.

Don't know if I can quite get into my head the idea of going to a club and not drinking so had ruled that out altogether. But while thinking about that just now it has occurred to me I'm meant to be going to Dublin for the Ireland v Scotland game and a traditional piss up...Don't even know if I should go any more. Going to Rome as well but at least there is plenty tourist stuff to do there. I've been to Dublin umpteen times and I'm really worried about 4 days in the company of people out to get drunk :(

Although as you say - smart thinking and regulated self-discipline...

Have definitely been drinking more tea since I stopped! Going to try a green tea just now :)

I think and being realistic I can't stand the idea of never drinking a Guinness again. How does one go from an addictive behaviour cycle to that level of control? If I could walk away after 4 pints I'd be happy, or even if its a big scoop more. As soon as the jaegers or whisky come out absolutely anything could happen to me and has which is my main worry. I think the only answer is to totally abstain :S

Fairly mortified to be in this situation totally reassessing life and while still in my late 20s. Why can't I just stop myself from getting THAT drunk? :(