Life without alcohol

575 posts in this topic

With regard to drinking and friends - Although I do enjoy a Weissbier at times, I don't work on the principal that 'one is OK' when I am driving and never drink alcohol at all. That does not stop me going out with friends and I just order a large water. Yes, it is expensive for water but that is not what I am paying for - I am paying for the social contact with my friends.

At first they thought I was a bit weird but they now accept it and it is never commented on.

Edit: True friends will support you and not try to break your resolve.

I think it's largely down to changing a habit...and perhaps changing habits that revolve around drinking, smoking, eating are more difficult than others as people may do these things for reasons other than being thirsty, needing nicotine or being hungry - comfort reasons.

Any habit takes a while to form and to make it part of normal routine. But sometimes it's really worth the effort if it means a healthier, happier you.

I know plenty of people who rarely drink at all and I've now thankfully lost the horrified expression that I know used to appear on my face when someone told me they didn't drink. :) You see, I'm growing too! I really feel it's partly down to culture and your exposure to different cultures...and perhaps more importantly exposure to different cultures away from your own culture. At home, it's a little rarer to find people who don't drink so it still sounds a bit unusual. But over here, I find there are lots of people who don't drink on a regular basis, so it seems far more normal. I like it, it feels much more relaxed and easy.

Hey 'Old Erdinger', you might have to change your name if you didn't drink the odd Erdinger from time to time ;)

Well I'm a teetotaller now. I haven't drank for six weeks. I started dreaming again, or rather remembering what I'd dreamt about. In France I had this wonderful dream which I wrote down and started to turn into a short story. I'm waking up so clear headed, calmer, less stressed, not dpressed anymore.

However if ever offered one drink the evil stuff easily calls you back and beckons like a seductive mistress. It reayly is an evil medium of intoxication.

I can now smell wine or beer on someone else, even in the middle of the day. Perhaps that was me earlier. Jesus.

Well I'm a teetotaller now. I haven't drank for six weeks. I started dreaming again, or rather remembering what I'd dreamt about. In France I had this wonderful dream which I wrote down and started to turn into a short story. I'm waking up so clear headed, calmer, less stressed, not dpressed anymore.

However if ever offered one drink the evil stuff easily calls you back and beckons like a seductive mistress. It reayly is an evil medium of intoxication.

I can now smell wine or beer on someone else, even in the middle of the day. Perhaps that was me earlier. Jesus.

Well done to you Jeremy, it can only be a good thing for you and your family.

Let's hope none of my bosses quit drinking... :P

My husband and I recently starting replacing our alcoholic bottles of beer for non-alcoholic bottles and to be honest, I actually prefer alcohol free beer at this stage.

We are not going totaly non-alcohol, every now and then we will open a bottle of wine, or if we are at my MIL's house, she will often offer us a beer which we will drink, but when it comes to buying beer for ourselves, it's the 0% stuff, which is great.

We bought our usual crate of alcohol free beer a few weeks back, my hubby took a sip out of one of the bottles and thought it tasted funny, asked me to take a sip to see if I could find anything wrong with it as he had just eaten some spicy food and thought maybe that's why it tasted strange, turns out there was one bottle of "normal" beer in the crate and the "funny" taste was alcohol ;)

It does pose a question though, if someone is addicted to beer, they are called alcoholics, what do you call someone who is addicted to alcohol free beer ;)?

Lassie - my wife usually drinks Erdinger alcohol free and has done since becoming pregnant. I wasn't too keen on it myself, but drank it on occasion. I was for ages drinking leicht beer. I've actually gone off that now.

what do you call someone who is addicted to alcohol free beer?

A fuckwit.

Awesome, Dessa, congrats.

My other half is considering giving up alcohol for at least a year as of next Jan. Will be showing him this thread for encouragement (no, it's not because I want him to give up - entirely his decision... like dessa says, above, his body seems to have an all-or-nothing approach and his best friends are, let's say "unsupportive" of any attempt to stop at one or two [insert my feelings about that here :angry:] - which all tends to upset him because there has been alcoholism in his recent ancestors). My thanks to everyone for honest posts here.

Dessa and chaos - I am two months off it now and it's so long since I had anything to drink I can't actually believe I used to get drunk and why. Living without it is so relaxing. The first thing I noticed is how I could remember beautiful dreams for the first time in ages. They say when drinking "in vino veritas" which means the truth comes out when drinking. I figured out I needed to make two small life changes to make my mind calm - to start up a small business of my own and to take weekends breaks from my home life with the family. These steps I have taken and will share what I did some time in the future to anyone who's interested.

I work out again, indeed my trainer in the gym told me to slow down this morning as it looked like I was "auf der Flucht!" I mountain bike the forest trails again too, and will Nordic ski when the snow comes again. You get one body, one mind one life and you have to take care of it.

I'm a ravenous reader and read novels (books of any sort always accepted down here) and non fic like the paper will rot before my eyes. I'm also living with less clutter - am chcuking out tons of stuff I no longer need.

It is quite a light feeling to have less rubbish in your life!

Those who "know" me through TT will know giving up alcohol was a big deal for me, not actually that difficult in the end. I lived without it for 3 years living in Saudi Arabia so it isn't my first time.

I think I must be at least 10 weeks away from this horribly addictive stuff. I don't seem to have as many sleeping problems as I used to. I can only describe my state of mind as deliciously clear. Alcohol is such a really dangerous "harmless" drug which is destroying lots of lives - hell it nearly copped me.

Giving up is really not that hard. Just takes willpower. My evening drink is now home made apfelschorle, or orange juice diluted with soda stream water.

I remember conversations with friends in my younger days, Jeremy, about what would be worse or harder: giving up fags or booze! ( Discussions were held whilst drinking and smoking..including joints! ).

It was, I reckon, a 50-50 toss up which was harder!

Basically: it´s a personal choice - how do you want to be and live? it doesn´t matter what others think or their opinions - it´s YOUR life.

Congrats on YOUR personal stance and leb wohl!

John.g - which do you think is really the easiest to stop fags or drink?

Tough choice, jeremy...in my case, I was a rare drinker in my first 40 years of life...hardly touched anything. I never smoked either as a teenager ( rebel: my mates did!)...at some stage, marijuana et al was cool on my travels and it happened but didn´t smoke tobacco..till I got back to England after many years travelling around and found out people mixed tobacco and Leb in one to roll a joint!!!

One day in London ( one single day!), I ran out of grass and a Turkish guy in a school offered me a fag...then hooked. Left the dope. The years rolled on and I came here. Carried on smoking ciggies and did the bars in Harburg , then met my still girlfriend and we really hit the wine/Merlot etc...passion, the ups and downs....

At some stage, decided: I wanna live for ever ( some hope! ) and gave up the ciggies overnight and cut down on the drinking..then reduced to a minimal..then got lost one night on Crete in the mountains in the dark after a few glasses of red wine about 5 years ago: NEVER had a glass of red wine since..paranoia ensued..still enjoy a few beers sometimes and a caiprinha or Bailey´s..but no red wine or whisky or anything.

What the hell am I talking about? :D

Basically: anything is easy to stop..finance plays a role but not always....health worries play a role...should anyway...and what I reckon is important: WHY? ie WHY do it? What´s the point?

It might not make much sense but I was with my girlfriend in the park a couple of days ago and we saw a flight of wild geese..I wanna see stuff like that for a LONG time more...more important than boozing or smoking..so, basically, LOVE..yes, LOVE because it´s there or we should want LOVE of what´s there...no point dying 20 years too soon..

So, jeremy, to answer your question: NEITHER is easier or rather BOTH are easy....if you want. WANT!

Hugs, bruv

Edit: this is just personal..respect and understanding for anyone having a hard time and who sees stuff differently- your life is yours and live it long and well.

My husband and I recently starting replacing our alcoholic bottles of beer for non-alcoholic bottles and to be honest, I actually prefer alcohol free beer at this stage.

...It does pose a question though, if someone is addicted to beer, they are called alcoholics, what do you call someone who is addicted to alcohol free beer ?

yep, same here! guess that makes me a fuck wit, too :D

John.g - which do you think is really the easiest to stop fags

from doing what?

(sorry, couldn't resist)