Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Ansbach this Sunday

19 posts in this topic

Hello! I am new to this forum and just going to put this out there after reading a lot of helpful info on this site.

I am a DOD civilian and am being stationed in Ansbach to work at Kotterbach.

I am flying into Germany this Sunday then my sponsor will be picking me up and I will be staying in a hotel in downtown Ansbach while I find somewhere to live.

Been reading a lot on this site and it seems tht Ansbach might be pretty small ..?

I decided to wait until I got to Germany to worry about where I'm going to live ...have had past experiences that no matter how research I do on where I will be moving I always end up doing something else. Hence me waiting.

But now I am seeing lots of discussions that Ansbach is a very small town and Nuremburg might be the better option. I am a single woman with an 85 pound dog and of course, want to experience Germany to it's fullest while I'm there!

Any suggestions on cities or areas to live within a reasonable commuting distance to Kotterbach? I was just going to look around Ansbach but now I am not sure I want to do that ..

.. as far as commuting, I will not have a car at first. I decided to just buy one there, after I take this drivers test I keep hearing about from everyone. Hopefully, that will be fine. Until that happens though, I won't have a car and will need to rely on public transportation.

Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you!!

Hi christinewmu and welcome to Toytown. First of all, the town's name is Katterbach rather than Kotterbach. I know the area fairly well. I used to live in Middle Franconia in Zirndorf near Fürth/Nürnberg. I currently work in Grafenwöhr as a DOD contractor for 5th Signal Command. We have a communications site (Global Information Grid - GIG site) in Katterbach behind Bismarck Kaserne. (You will see it once you arrive). These sites are all over Germany and Italy, but we are sadly scaling down. You could live in Ansbach. Nürnberg is ca. 24km away. All the surrounding villages are rather small, but if you like these villages, then go for it.

Cheers

Thanks - I knew that wasn't right but I tried :) My German is atrocious - going to be taking classes as soon as I get there. Thanks for the info - I will definitely be hitting up housing once I arrive.

Was just wondering - What would your preference be, Ansbach or a larger city?

Just curious :) Thanks!

I think Ansbach would suit me well. Not too large and not too small. :)

P.S. You will probably visit Grafenwoehr many times during your tour of duty because we have the largest PX in Bavaria. The exchange in Katterbach is very small. Ramstein Air Base has the largest PX/BX in Germany.

Does anyone know of a website for house-hunting that is in english? I am having a lot of trouble translating the German abbreviations. Went to housing today and they were not very helpful :/

It is difficult and frustrating at first trying to decipher German abbreviations and classified adds but I think you will have more luck looking there than dealing with housing. You will get the hang of it. Try to enlist the aid of a German speaker to help you a bit. Specific questions about abbreviations could be answered here no doubt.

Google translations is not so good for sentences ect but will help you translate words and give you a general idea of an ads contents.

I have rented all three of my apartments so far locally either through here: http://www.quoka.de/immobilien/kleinanzeigen.html or from the local free papers.

Living in Ansbach will be a very different experience than living in Nuremberg. Nuremberg is a CITY with a large, vibrant downtown area. The vast majority of people live in apartments. There is excellent public transportantion.

But it is no short commute to Katterbach, especially in the snow. It is about 50 minutes from central N-berg in good conditions. You can get a train from N-berg to Ansbach, but then would need a car.

Ansbach is a small town and the shopping center is more spread out. Most people live in houses. There is very limited public transportation. But you have a short commute and more room for a dog.

I am not sure how you are planning on getting around in either scenario without a car. You may have some heafty cab fares!!!

Good luck.

There is very limited public transportation.

I wouldn't say very limited. Like any other similar small city, Ansbach with ca. 40,000+ inhabitants has an omnibus sservice, railway and of course taxi. Besides, Katterbach is not too far away, ca. 6km.

Yes, but I think that it will severely limit where you are able to live. Some houses are really in the boonies. The bus services are mostly on main routes and some service is quite limited schedule wise. Also depends on the hours of work.

Any good stories to tell about moving Ansbach yet? I'm waiting on orders to transfer there next month.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I think I am going to live in Lehrberg - I heard there are a few Americans living there but I have found a house within my LQA that sounds amazing ... going to see it tomorrow.

I had originally wanted to live between Nurnberg and Ansbach but this house came up today and sounds great. I have found a few other homes that I wanted but they are way to far out and not near anything I wanted to live by :/

Any input on Lehrberg?

We've been here a week and we are very happy with Ansbach and the surrounding area. This is a great place to live. It's just big enough to have all the shopping we need and close enough to Nürnberg to get everything else. It's a small city and we've crossed it at various times, with various traffic in about 10 minutes. It feels about half the size of Regensburg, where we've lived before. Villages outside of town I'd recommend for families would be Lehrberg, Leutershausen, Sachsen bei Ansbach, and Weihenzell. Singles should stick to Ansbach or commute from Stein or Röthenbach if they want to enjoy the Nürnberg city life and have an easy drive.

Hi!

Just read this today and wanted to offer any help that you might be needing. I'm an American who's been working on the economy in and around Ansbach for a LONG time and my German is pretty good, so if there's any help you could use "with the locals", just drop me a line.

I hope your search for a house or apartment went well, as I know how many problems I had as I arrived in Germany with a Siberian Husky :wacko:

Have fun in Germany!

Hello again!

Boy have I been through the ringer finding a home. I could probably tell you anything you needed to know now about immobilien services, housing, local papers, abbreviations, and on and on.

I found a great little house in Herrieden which just happened to be in the process of signing up for housing so I will be getting the house through housing. Thanks goodness .. going to save me the hefty realtor fee!

I really like Ansbach. I have been staying a hotel downtown and I love it here.

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

... and I move into Herrieden April 5th. Anyone live around there??

:)

Hi There-

I'm living in Edelsfeld and working on post in Vilseck/Rose Barracks. How are you liking it?

Wow you sound just like me 2 years ago, only me and my 100 pound dog. I have lived for Schweinfurt for 2 years and will be likely accepting a transfer to Katterbach. I was going to ask about your experience with housing as well as any ideas you may have regarding sub-leasing. I live currently in Bad Kissingen and do not want to make a permanent move to the area. My idea is to find someone who would rent out a room per say during the week, arrival on monday afternoon and leaving Friday after work back to my home - which is 1 and 1/2 hours away. THis can be a little more complicated in with germany rental contracts than in the US, but I thought I would ask if you had suggestions or contacts that my be interested. I will be working out of the health clinic starting this summer, not sure exact date as we are still negotiating. Thanks a lot! (and no more dog, unfortunately which make things for the first time a little easier for me).

I am new to this site...I live in Landstuhl and am interviewing for a job in Katterbach..My husband is currently working in Landstuhl and we own our home close to there so I would prefer a room or small AFFORDABLE living arrangement...will go home most weekends