Once again reminded why I hate Frankfurt airport

122 posts in this topic

I will always remember the english women (around 20) happily telling the security guy at Amsterdam Airport that she did not have any liquids, while, to the amazement of all the staff, those in the queue and anyone walking past who heard her say 'I told you, I do not have any liquids' at the top of her voice, drinking from a water bottle..

The guy just looked at the queue as if to say 'what more can I do'....

I go to Munich airport a lot, mainly to pick up/take my kids there and it never ceases to amaze me how utterly dumb passengers can be. I've seen people trying to take pointed sticks through security, people trying to check in people who aren't there, people trying to check in for flights with the wrong airline and nowadays people trying to take bottles of liquids through security. The last one was a woman in a not quite Burka, more a sort of tent with a headscarf, trying to take through the biggest bottle of Jägermeister I've ever seen! The security people must sometimes despair!

Saw a guy last week get pulled up in security with a Zippo lighter and a bowie knife. The Zippo he was allowed to carry through!

... I think the topic of the thread should be: "I am reminded why I hate airports".

One of the best things I ever did was to quit galavanting around the world on business. Looking back nowadays, I too am reminded that I hated not only airports but also getting up at 4 am, arriving home at 11 pm, all the delays due to technical problems, extremes of weather, French and Italian strikes, time shifts, hotels, taxis, rental cars, etc., etc.

Saw a guy last week get pulled up in security with a Zippo lighter and a bowie knife. The Zippo he was allowed to carry through!

Yep, lighters are allowed. I always have a lighter in my pocket and never had any problems anywhere. I guess its because technically there are a number of ways to start a fire if you really wanted to. They can't stop you from taking a piece of flint on-board or some wooden sticks either.

Yep, lighters are allowed. I always have a lighter in my pocket and never had any problems anywhere. I guess its because technically there are a number of ways to start a fire if you really wanted to. They can't stop you from taking a piece of flint on-board or some wooden sticks either.

My mom said that on her last flight from the U.S. into Frankfurt the guy in the seat next to her used his lighter repeatedly for the control panel on screen..... good thing they didn't hit turbulence at that moment...

Except in China, where lighters (and matches) are very much a no-no (had to do with someone taking a bottle of gasoline onto a flight and trying to ignite the bathroom...) the upside? Most airports just dump the confiscated lighters (minus the nice ones) into a box by the exit, so you just grab one or two on the way out.

Of course, I've seen an old granny get let through with her 4" fruit knife, because she guilted the poor security drones into submission. Go figure...

Except in China, where lighters (and matches) are very much a no-no (had to do with someone taking a bottle of gasoline onto a flight and trying to ignite the bathroom...) the upside? Most airports just dump the confiscated lighters (minus the nice ones) into a box by the exit, so you just grab one or two on the way out.

Of course, I've seen an old granny get let through with her 4" fruit knife, because she guilted the poor security drones into submission. Go figure...

That's China for you. Technically they have security in the subways in Beijing but it's really just for show. A Chinese friend once told me "they do it to look important, like they're more modern or something". When I bought one of those large bread knives at Muji I had to take the subway home and put my bag through the screener. The security guy suddenly says to me "you! come back! you have a knife in your bag!" I pulled it out and said in Chinese "it's just a kitchen knife" and he looks at it and says "oh. you just bought it then." He turns to his colleague and laughs and says "oh.. haha! No problem! She just bought it!" His colleague didn't even look up and I went to the train...

@Amanda - so true. We got them in Shanghai for Expo, and of course they had to keep them once Expo was over. Nothing but an impediment and face builder, but I confess I always played the laowai card and just breezed past them pretending I didn't understand.

As you say, that's China :D

I know it doesn´t really match the thread title, but anyway: is someone familiar with Reykjavik airport. Is it easy to get lost there while changing planes? I´m asking because my daughter is a bit clumsy in those situations and has a choice of either flying to the US via Heathrow or Reykjavik. How easy is it to get lost in Heathrow? Flying via Reykjavik would be more expensive but I guess chances are lower that she gets lost and misses her flight as a result? Looking at you @LeonG

29 minutes ago, jeba said:

I know it doesn´t really match the thread title, but anyway: is someone familiar with Reykjavik airport. Is it easy to get lost there while changing palnes? I´m asking because my daughter is a bit clumsy i those situations and has a choice of either fyling to the US via Heathrow or Reykjavik. How easy is it to get lost in Heathrow? Flyin via Reykjavik would be more expensive but I guess chances are lower that she gets lost and misses her flight as a result? Looking at you @LeonG

The Reykjavík airport is very small and straight forward so the chances of getting lost are not high.

Heathrow is bigger and has more terminals

On 19.1.2018, 08:50:08, LeonG said:

The Reykjavík airport is very small and straight forward so the chances of getting lost are not high.

Heathrow is bigger and has more terminals

What Leon said . Keflavik it is a small airport ( assuming you mean Keflavik international airport, 50km from town  and not the very tiny one 2km from Reykjavik)

6 hours ago, LeCheese said:

What Leon said . Keflavik it is a small airport ( assuming you mean Keflavik international airport, 50km from town  and not the very tiny one 2km from Reykjavik)

Keflavik is the only international airport in Iceland so it's impossible to get that wrong.  There is an airport in pretty much downtown Reykjavik but it's domestic only and they've been talking about moving it for years.  It's a political issue. 

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

Keflavik is the only international airport in Iceland so it's impossible to get that wrong.  There is an airport in pretty much downtown Reykjavik but it's domestic only and they've been talking about moving it for years.  It's a political issue. 

In 1973, I wanted the cheapest way to get across the Atlantic..as close to South America as possible! There were two possibilities back then which were affordable: London/Reykjavik/New York  with  Loftleider (spelling? ) or Luxemburg-Nassau (Bahamas ).with Laker Airlines.

I was 20 and chose the latter!

:DStill never been anywhere near an an airport in Iceland!

On 1/19/2018, 8:17:12, jeba said:

Is it easy to get lost there while changing planes?

Impossible. 

And in winter there is no tourist season due to the darkness, so if your daughter ends up on arrivals by occasion, a customs officer will approach her. He is the only customs officer in the country, is very friendly and helpful. I forgot his name. 

1 minute ago, yourkeau said:

And in winter there is no tourist season due to the darkness, so if your daughter ends up on arrivals by occasion, a customs officer will approach her. He is the only customs officer in the country, is very friendly and helpful. I forgot his name. 

Really? Only one customs officer? Next you'll try to tell me that our national soccer team are all farmers or something :) 

3 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Really? Only one customs officer? Next you'll try to tell me that our national soccer team are all farmers or something :) 

Yep, that joke I also have in my pocket.

No offense, I love small countries very much.

My mum had never been to an airport..let alone flown anywhere. Around 1997 or so, my daughter flew unaccompanied to London and I took my mum and Auntie Alwyn to Heathrow Airport to wait for her.

We waited at Arrivals and my mum got bored. " I´m going in there to look for her ".

Me: " Mum: you are not allowed to go in, ok? "

Mum:  "well, I wanna go in there and buy some Duty Free then. "

Me: " Mum, you´re not allowed to..you´re not flying. "

Mum: " well, alright, I wanna go in there and wait for her anyway and have a cup of tea. "

Me: " you´re not allowed to Mum..you´re not flying. "

Mum: " I fucking hate this airport! "

Yep, my mum. ( she´d get lost in Iceland at the airport if she were still alive !! ):D

6 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Well, your national soccer team " ploughed " through the England defence last time!!

21 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Yep, that joke I also have in my pocket.

No offense, I love small countries very much.

Actually, my nephew is working in passport control.  If he's working that day, I am sure he could take a break when the girl's flight arrives to help the damsel in distress not get lost in the airport.  At least if I ask him nicely :)