Once again reminded why I hate Frankfurt airport

122 posts in this topic

How did you keep yourself from smacking him? Take your complaint right to the top and send it by registered letter to make sure they get it. The word Dienstaufsichtsbeschwerde kann work wonders.

And...I would have kept on speaking English. He had a right to know the details of your travels but had no right to demand that you speak German.

@Tokeshu - make sure you use the lovely word 'Dienstaufsichtsbeschwerde'. It WILL make his superiors sit up and take note - especially if you follow westvans second sentence.

What a tosser, but not un-typical of my experiences in that hellhole they call an airport. The only ones I've been to which were worse were Mombasa and Cairo, neither of which are major hubs.

What a twat, had he forgotten that he was working in an airport, where a fairly large percentage of the people visiting the place are not going to be fucking German, and an even larger percentage of which will have no intention of staying in Germany or learning German?

Really hope you get some results from your complaint tokeshu, keep us posted.

Shameful stereotypical (for Germany) people skills. However, you do not have a witness and it will be your word against his - although why and how you would invent this would be beyond most people's ability to imagine. Good luck with your complaint. Let us know where you get.

It's worth a try anyway, since most people would just forget and not complain, and the guy knows it. If they do get a complaint (and I would send it as high up as you can go)they might even taken it seriously. You can comment on the guy's incompetence and say you felt "genötigt". Germans like that word.

Please post his name here. Then inform his superiors that they, not he alone, are at fault for letting someone incompetent represent Germany so badly. And you are posting all the information on the international business travellers forum Toytowngermany.com. Additionally you should inform their superiors, the next level, too. As his superiors will probably defend him because they are also sloppy and incompetent. Witnesses for the whole debacle would help of course.

I've luckily never had a bad experience at that airport. If someone spoke to me like that I would have a really hard time keeping my cool.

Around 20,000 people work at Frankfurt Airport so it seems a little strange that you'd allow your judgement of the entire airport to be clouded by just one individual, especially one not employed directly by the airport and especially as it would seem that the rest of the transfer process went smoothly. No airport is a particularly fun place to be, but if you think Frankfurt is bad then you're in for a shock when you start trying some others.

Nonetheless, you should pursue the complaint against the individual, as this kind of attitude needs to be eradicated. Yesterday on the BOB train to the Alps the conductor was obnoxious, argumentative and unfriendly (at least until the point when I asked for his name), but the conclusion at the end was that the conductor was an arsehole, not that Veolia as a company is to be hated or avoided because of one bad apple.

Whenever German immigrations even begin to get snippy with me I just tell them they need to chill because the worst they can do to me is deport me back to the country I really want to live in. That usually takes the wind out of their sails pretty quick.

How is it strange? As Small Town Boy has already said, there are 20,000 employees at the airport. The chances of you running into one of the few xenophobic twats who happen to work there are really, really small.

How is it strange? As Small Town Boy has already said, there are 20,000 employees at the airport. The chances of you running into one of the few xenophobic twats who happen to work there are really, really small.

yes, that's true. just seems a bit weird to me because i only had good opinions about frankfurt airport. opened my mind so to speak :)

Was fuer eine Frage ist das?"

Its a game Tokey me'old son...and you lost.

I know a customs officer who works at Dover and his job is to identify the illegals, they are trained to throw off beat questions to passengers in order to get them to reveal something they may not want to...they see literally hundreds of thousands of people per year and 99% of them are just joe blogs and the wife.

Of course they soon realise who is hiding something and who not, but away from proceedure and the rule book these guys have a little fun now and then and enjoy seeing red faced, tired, antipodean travellers lose it.He probably had a good laugh about it later in the locker room or down the pub, so do not take it seriously.

The trick is to smile, play the game..have a joke back...remember these guys hold all the cards at this particular moment and if you really pissed them off they could make your journey a real pain in the arse and give Frankfurt Airport an even worse reputation!

Gee, compared with US customs officers, I find the Germans to be downright polite, friendly and welcoming.

I've been 10x more harassed when going to the US than in any place in the world. Including pre-911 era.

I've been 10x more harassed when going to the US than in any place in the world. Including pre-911 era.

the US newark airport took the prize. they destroyed the locks in my suitcases and stole the watches inside. i realised it when i was back in singapore.

There's so much that can go wrong at an airport (lost luggage, stolen items, missed connections, long queues, delayed flights, cancelled flights, customs searches, check-in problems etc. etc.) that getting nothing more than a grumpy border control officer seems like getting off lightly.