Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fire in Dachau

23 posts in this topic

Hi,

Anybody witness what seemed to be a large fire with loads of Black smoke very close to the Dachau museum, lots of sirens and helicopter, looked like a massive fire, all the roads closed off near to the museum, anybody else witness it?

Not heard of anything up there today, but last week the Squash center burnt to the ground...

Today in Puchheim bahnhof, a car repair shop, burnt down..

in 1944 there were some gas problems in Dachau... :ph34r:

It was the squash and bowling center, cause of the fire is unknown. Due to the instability of the ruins an examination of the point of origin and spread of the fire ís not possible.

Contrary to widespread belief Dachau was not an extermination camp, there are no gas chambers. Murdered or deceased prisoners were, however, cremated in Dachau.

Dachau was not an extermination camp, there are no gas chambers

Experiments on prisoners often led to death, sometimes intentionally. The KZ Lager is a terrible place to visit, with the cyclone fencing givng a free vier of the farms around them, where farmers plowing their fields were freely able to see the detainees. A visit will change you.

Thanks LIAB... Even the Guy who came to survey my Property for fitting a Gas line made some comment about having Plenty of Gas in these areas!!

Maybe all those reds were because I changed the topic by telling folk about the car workshop fire!! :huh:

BTW... Any News in English about the court room shooting in Dachau yesterday?

BTW... Any News in English about the court room shooting in Dachau yesterday?

A topic was started with a link to the BBC on this, which has since been merged into the Local thread and is Accused shoots prosecutor dead in civil court - post #7 has the link to the BBC article.

Contrary to widespread belief Dachau was not an extermination camp

Over 30.000 people lost their lives in there. What was it then, a Spa with health & safety issues?

The difference made between the concentration camps being either extermination camps or work camps is one of the first things that shocked me when I visited Dachau KZ. This difference is not made in the English speaking world - a concentration camp is a concentration camp is a death camp. There is also controversy about whether the gas chambers were used or not. Eye-witness accounts say they were used (obviously not many of them still walking about), the official line is that they were not. So how are we ever to know? My own impression of Dachau KZ as a memorial is that it is hugely sanitized and anything could have been possible.

Dachau was the Musterlager on which others were based; it had gas chambers and ovens. But the high-end extermination undertaken in Auschwitz and other camps did not occur in Dachau.

Scary enough that the plans were so far completed as to open Dachau a mere two months after Hitler came to power.

Over 30.000 people lost their lives in there. What was it then, a Spa with health & safety issues?

No, it surely wasn't a spa...

But the difference between the prison camps and the extermination camps is well documented. Some, like Treblinka, were basically pure extermination camps; some, like Auschwitz, were mixed labor/extermination; and some, like Dachau, were primarily for interning political and other prisoners (~1/3 of which were estimated to be Jewish).

Dachau was a horrible place to end up. And forced labor, the enormity of medical experimentation, and quotidian brutality/inhumanity are not taken lightly-- but to lump all the camps together, and to blur history into a simplified version of what really happened is to dishonor the dead in my opinion.

The history of what happened is horrible enough as it is, and needs no embellishment.

we are 'Landkreis' Dachau had never really spent much time there aside from a visit to the KZ years and years ago.

am glad to be learning another side of it, the Altstadt is lovely, and we had a great time at the Volksfest :D

our daughter was born in the Amperklinik in Dachau which was amazing, we have no complaints about our stay and treatment there. unfortunately we heard from other local new parents they didn't want their babies born in Dachau because of the history the district has, find that quite a shame.

the history of Dachau and the KZ is certainly horrible though.

Scary enough that the plans were so far completed as to open Dachau a mere two months after Hitler came to power.

All that indicates is that Hitler had political enemies he intended to intern. Which, while evil, is basically par for the course for dictatorial/tyrannical leaders. I mean, the concept of "concentrating" (which doesn't mean killing, necessarily) "enemies" predates Hitler by a something like two hundred years-- and likely thousands of years. I think Dachau didn't even get a crematoria until ~1939, which further suggests that killing wasn't the primary aim of opening the place (in fact, most of those interned during Kristallnacht were eventually let out)-- though many ended up dying there.

Anyway, horrible stuff all around.

The difference made between the concentration camps being either extermination camps or work camps is one of the first things that shocked me when I visited Dachau KZ. This difference is not made in the English speaking world - a concentration camp is a concentration camp is a death camp. There is also controversy about whether the gas chambers were used or not. Eye-witness accounts say they were used (obviously not many of them still walking about), the official line is that they were not. So how are we ever to know? My own impression of Dachau KZ as a memorial is that it is hugely sanitized and anything could have been possible.

The distinction IS made in the English speaking world.

Just as it is in the German speaking world. It's just that most people (here or elsewhere) either i) never learned much about the actual history of what happened, or ii) don't remember what they learned.

Well was it originally planned for that by the previous admin? I would not think so.

No. But Dachau was used by the Americans for 3 years after the war to intern SS officers awaiting trial.

And the U.S. had interment camps for totally innocent Americans of Japanese descent during WWII-- totaling over 100,000 people (one of our darker historical moments).

And before you suggest I'm implying this makes building a concentration camp OK-- I'm not (emphatically).

The point is that the building off Dachau as a camp-- in the first place-- did not necessarily portend the mass extermination of a people. I'd argue that other things did, and Dachau represented a pattern of governing towards oppression/dictatorship.

And before you suggest I'm implying this makes building a concentration camp OK-- I'm not (emphatically).

The point is that the building off Dachau as a camp-- in the first place-- did not necessarily portend the mass extermination of a people. I'd argue that other things did, and Dachau represented a pattern of governing towards oppression/dictatorship.

Don't project on me dude. I was just asking the question what was the original purpose of Dachau before Hitler came to power. You can argue semantics with the other dude.