ISDN & Analogue

5 posts in this topic

Hi there,

We currently have the 16+ service from D.T. and besides the slow 11mbps speed it sort of works ok. However, our lovely Swatch ISDN phone has died and we want a nice new stylish dect phone to replace it. The catch is, all the ISDN phones these days are hideous and way to expensive.

I have seen some nice analogue phones though. And I was wondering if I plugged an analogue phone into the analogue port will it work? As far as I know, we have an analogue port that is essentially for a fax machine but I would imagine an analogue phone would work there?

The gotcha is, will it retain the same number as our primary ISDN line, or is there a 4th number for fax? I have looked everywhere on our documentation and can't see this, and I tried calling D.T. and just spent 40minutes on hold.

Alternatively, I will try and change our contract to an analogue one, but since there is a year and a half to go since we moved house, they may not play ball.

Analogue "port" of what?

You can use an ISDN phone by connecting directly to the NTBA adapter provided by Telekom. This is a small white box with a green light on it and which connects on one side to a Telekom wall outlet and on the other to any ISDN device such as a phone (2 sockets available)

You can only use an analogue device (phone or fax) if you have an ISDN-Analogue converter or Terminal Adapter. This converts the incoming ISDN channels to their analogue equivalent and is programmable so you can dedicate your allocated phone numbers (between 3 and 10 of the blighters) to different analogue devices. If you already had a fax I would surmise you have one of these already so if it has free ports you may be able to plug an analogue phone into it and reprogramme accordingly. If, as I suspect, you don't yet have a fax then you may be confusing an outlet on the wall-point with a free analogue connection, which it is not. In fact, the plug that goes into it to the NTBA should have wide "wings" to prohibit any connections to these additional outlets.

If you only use a phone on the line and have no use for multiple devices or multiple numbers then you can change the ISDN connection to analogue with no effect on your internet setup and save yourself 5€/month. Once that is done you can remove the NTBA and can connect any analogue phone into the same outlet.

Hi YorkshireLad6,

My router, The speedport W503V has an analogue connector on it. Now, what I am not sure here, is if that analogue connection will work with the current configuration.

Basically, I have the standard wall port you describe. This has three connections and the middle one connects into the side of a DSL Splitter. The front of the DSL splitter also has three connections like the wall socket.

From the front of the DSL Splitter, a cable goes to the NTBA (small white box with green light), and from the side of the DSL Splitter, an RJ45 cable goes to the Speedport router (on the manual, this is labelled the ISDN Analogue cable).

I also have a cable going from the NTBA to the Speedport Router.

So, from the manual, it looks like an Analogue telephone can indeed plug into the back of the Speedport router. It also states in the manual that the Speedport has a system for two analogue lines. Of course I could be wrong and I also need in addition this ISDN-Analogue converter or Terminal Adapter, but there is no mention of this in the manual.

Presuming then I can plug in an analogue, it does sound intriguing that you mention I can program this so that our ISDN primary number is for the analogue. I guess then this would be in the speedport.

Ah, I didn't look at who was asking the question or I may have remembered your Speedport :)

You are perfectly correct in all your assumptions, as the Speedport has a built-in terminal adapter and from the way you have described it then all the connections are correct too. That means you should be able to plug an analogue phone into one of those sockets (ideally choose the one marked "1", although either should work)

You have been provided with 3 telephone numbers from Telekom. As far as I remember all 3 ring on both analogue outlets and for outgoing numbers your main or "master" number (MSN) is used. This can all be changed in the Speeport configuration under "Telephonie" You can also use ISDN features such as "callback when busy" or 3-way conferencing - see page 50 of the manual. You can also add up to 5 VoIP numbers so could potentially setup phone numbers from other locations or countries on your home phone service.

Thanks YorkshireLad6, this is brilliant as there are so many more choices out there for nice analogue phones.