Anti-rentner rant

107 posts in this topic

A Rentner who retired at 63 or whatever and lives to 85 has surely taken more out than he put in.. Or at the very least taken far more out than it was planned that he should.

You yourself work like 12 hours a week, while that pensioner worked 38 or 40 hours a week for like 40 years of his life. You do not pay anything to the pension system while that guy did pay. The idea of freelancers paying into the pension system is not that crazy because some day you won't be able to continue working and as we know you are not saving anything for your retirement as you should, so there is a big chance the system will have to eat the bullet and support you when you can't work.

I have the solution to your jealousy, talk less and work more.

Maybe I'd have more work if I didn't have to compete with all the expats not even paying their tax, let alone health insurance..

I work on average more than 12 hours a week too you clueles prick.

(not in December..)

12 hours a week, 14 hours a week, same thing. When you start working hard you will have the right to open your mouth, in the meantime you are just a lazy right winger who like to complain when other hardworking people can afford things you can't.

Fuck off. You don't know shit asshole. I work evenings, weekends, stay in hotels, take whatever I can get. And to cover these costs - that other teachers are not paying - I have to charge more money, so end up getting less work.. Get that through your fucking thick head jackass..

Rentenversicherung is just the German version of social security. Everyone should have to pay it, just like in the US. My brother the real estate guy complains about paying "both sides", to which my answer is- work for someone else if you don't want to be self-employed.

As for Herr DB: stop working long enough to get on the public, then start working again as much as you like.

HerrDinksbumps, are you a teacher? Do you realize that freelance teachers have always been required to pay into the teachers' retirement system? I'm pretty sure it's 19% no matter what you teach.

The idea of freelancers paying into the pension system is not that crazy because some day you won't be able to continue working and as we know you are not saving anything for your retirement as you should

The fact that we (and our clients) don't pay into the pension system is one of the only things that keeps us "attractive" to our clients (and keeps the lack of job security attractive to us). The client pays about the same amount for a freelancer as he/she does for a regular employee, but can get rid of us a lot easier when there isn't so much work to do (I once lost a project with about 6 days notice, due to budget cuts).

We generally fill a needed position for a relatively short period in which there is more work to do than usual, at least that's the way it generally works in IT. If they had to pay half of our fees for the pension system and we had to pay the other half, the only difference between us and full-time employees would be that we either cost too much or made too little to make it even worth while to take on the short-term positions with relatively little job security.

I take some of that extra money and pay into a private pension plan, which will give me way more than the public one would, while costing me less money each month. I don't pay into the public system, but I also won't be a strain on the public system (except for whatever I get from having paid into the system for 10 years).

I take some of that extra money and pay into a private pension plan, which will give me way more than the public one would, while costing me less money each month.

- that sounds sensible Jay!

I think HerrDB has rather gotten his knickers in a twist because of the poor employment situation at the moment, and because of proposed changes which will leave even less small change in his pockets.

Not really sure that the pensioners can be blamed for either though!

I don't agree with the majority of what he has posted, but the underlying cause of his outburst -- freelancers possibly having to pay into the pension system -- would piss me off, too, if it were to happen.

Assumedly, we would have to pay 100% of our contribution, just like we do with our health insurance, with none of it being paid for by our client. At that point, we are worse off than regular employees and you would basically destroy the freelance system and make many of us unemployed and on Harz IV, as companies would be unwilling either pay us a lot more or replace us with permanent employees and we would be unwilling/unable to take on jobs which pay us less than we have to pay into the social system and for minor things like food and heat, and which provide no job security.

Take me, for example. I'm rich once a month, and then I pay my bills. I already pay over 600 Euros a month for public health insurance, and a few thousand a month in taxes, and believe me, sometimes I wonder where the money is supposed to come from. If you add another couple of thousand a month for the pension plan on top of that, I'd be better off on Harz IV.

Guest, freelance English language trainers/teachers are already obliged to pay into the pension system, although I believe most of them don't. I suspect the authorities will start chasing them again any day now as they did in the 90's.

If you ask me, the problem isn't the old, most of whom have paid into the system, it's the very young, none of which have paid into the system. The government pays my wife and me 6,696.00 Euros a year for our 3 children, plus they reduce the taxes that I have to pay because of those 3 children. How many families with 3 children pay more than that in taxes? I do, but I suspect that most don't. The government taxes single, childless people 50% and married people with 3 children 33%, while paying them back several thousand a year, which most of them have probably not even contributed to the system...

I understand that they are "investing" in the future. The joke's on you. What if I'm a lazy bastard on Harz IV and I raise my kids to be lazy bastards on Harz IV? Guess what, you just paid me over 120,000 Euros to raise 3 drains on society... :D

Edit: I know, Tap, but I'm talking about the true freelancers, who are not obligated to pay into the system.

What's the difference between a "freelancer" as referred to by Tap and CopyWriter and a "true freelancer" as written above?

As far as I know, I'm a "true freelancer". I pay my VAT on the 10th of every month, pay my tax quarterly and pay my full health insurence myself (over 500 Euro a month).

I do have a Befreiung for the pension, but only because I have 3 private policies which I pay.

Naw, old people taste funny.

Yeah, some of them outlive their expiration date.

I have yet to see a pensioner who lives in luxury. If they do, it's most likely because they worked and saved.

Or inherited.

Just because people live frugally, it doesn't mean they don't have money. My aunt, godmother and gran in Berlin did/do exactly that and they could afford to live very comfortably and yet... they don't. My aunt in particular looks fairly ill and neglected but is comfortably off. So appearances can be deceptive. And my aunt, who was a civil servant all her life, actually wished me - a freelancer - LESS WORK in the new year. I had to write her a letter explaining to her what freelancer meant and how private health insurance in German is so bloody expensive. Not heard from her since.

Bad drivers in Germany ?n Surely not! Oh, you mean bad German drivers. There's fucking millions in Germany