Anti-rentner rant

107 posts in this topic

This belongs on the rant thread, seeing as how there's fuck-all you can do about people living as long as they can.

He likes to generalize, so he saw an old person driving a Mercedes and because of that he thinks all pensioners are living a dream life enjoying themselves living la vida loca.

I'm sure that should HDB do well in his endeavors, he would never consider buying a nice car.

Had I known there was such a thing, I would have put it there. I looked for a pension issue thread, and didn't find one. Feel free to move it - or delete it. No sense in having my delusional comments about the system around when in reality everything is fine and there are no economic-demograhpic imbalances in Germany.

and even your poor auntie living for three decades taking from the system and not contributing to it,

WTF? Her husband contributed to it. They presumably paid taxes as a COUPLE.

So you think all stay-at-home parents are freeloaders? Leeches on the system? Fuck that, Mr., we are raising the future, and not even getting paid for it! <_<

I don't have a rich husband or the German state to fall back on.

Don't be bitter because you married for love instead of for money. And surely you your wife can go on Hartz4, oder? :rolleyes:

I don't believe any of these old fogies in Benzes got a free ride. Life is what you make of it. They worked hard, SAVED, and invested well. Now they get to enjoy that. Ende.

WTF do you think I've been doing all week while my wife has been working and the Krippe closed? WhyTF do you think I've even had (too much..) time to rant like this(during naptime)?.. (And probably, WhyTF do you think I'm so on edge?...)

The difference is, I have zero Anspruch auf the German system, though I pay for it by working when I can and paying all the c.rap I have to pay - that the unemployed, Rentners, etc.. are NOT paying. Because my wife has a full-time job I have to work LESS now that we have a kid, and pay MORE AND MORE AND MORE..(see thread about health insurance premiums going up massively as of 01.01.12).. I don't have a rich husband or the German state to fall back on. That's my fucking point!..

Did you lie awake all night thinking of this nightmare post to provide us with Friday horror?

Perhaps this is an article you should read.

A pensioner who has been earning an average income for 45 years, now receives €1,236 a month.

It's quite easy for people who have their youth to talk about how the elderly are soaking up the resources, but let's hope you'll get to be elderly one day or even one week and then you'll see firsthand how difficult it is to live.

Just because you're not doing so well now, doesn't mean you should target and blame your trials and tribulations on the feeble old men and women of Germany.

While I do agree with you that Germany is a country with comparatively high amounts of peopple over 60, I think some points should be considered:

-The observation that brought you to write this thread was made at the opera. While I have not yet been to the opera in Germany, where I come from the opera is usually attended by the higher social classes. What did you expect to see at the opera?

-I have a close relative who was a saddler in his youth, and his wife was a school teacher. In the last 10 years, my relative has been on holiday in Europe at least 3 times (we come from Latin America). The key there is that after retirement, many people have comparatively fewer expenses. That means, if you manage your money wisely, you can afford certain perks.

I think you're misplacing your (partly valid) frustration.

Did you lie awake all night thinking of this nightmare post to provide us with Friday horror?

Perhaps this is an article you should read.

It's quite easy for people who have their youth to talk about how the elderly are soaking up the resources, but let's hope you'll get to be elderly one day or even one week and then you'll see firsthand how difficult it is to live.

Just because you're not doing so well now, doesn't mean you should target and blame your trials and tribulations on the feeble old men and women of Germany.

Be interesting to know what the "average income" is that they mention as 1236 is not a great deal less than I earn now.

The way I've always looked at it with OAPs is that they've spent most of their lives working and deserve to have their last maybe 20 years spent not having to worry about money.

The opera thing was half in jest. What set me off was the FAZ article this morning, after hearing on the radio this wanker probably-beamter boss of the pension system saying freelancers should have to pay to make up for losses in the system..

Wasn't an opera btw, but a symphony,,

Most posters here are being given the run around! You´re reading him literally. Taking him too seriously. I think HerrDinksbumps is jesting here totally...he forgot to mention the Rentner pushing you out of the way in the supermarket queues..THAT would have been an anti-Rentner thread!!!

You expect accuracy from The Local?

I don't normally read The Local, so I wouldn't know ;)

The way I've always looked at it with OAPs is that they've spent most of their lives working and deserve to have their last maybe 20 years spent not having to worry about money.

The real problem is that more is going out of the state pension system than is going in. Whilst current pensioners will point out that they've paid in their whole lives and are now not getting yearly state pension increases in line with inflation, younger people will point to lack of payrises in line with inflation, the fact that anyone currently under 47 will not get a full state pension before 67 and the fact that even if they too pay contributions their whole life, due to demographics future state pensions will inevitably fall further.

Most pensioners have worked all their lives, or their husbands have, to give them a good living now - that includes paying into the pension scheme, etc, like we all have to today.

Being under 47 years of age, I will have the pleasure of being permitted to work until I am 67 years old before being able to claim state pension, which in all likelihood by then will have been cancelled altogether.

So, what remains? Whatever savings I might happen to have now, plus whatever I can scrape together over the next twenty-one years (I´m 46!)

In the meantime, I will continue to pay into the state pension scheme because it is compulsory, and I will continue to have to pay Solidarität Zuschlag (woopee!), like a good Burger, but quite honestly, the whole system is falling appart around us and nobody seems to have a clue what to do about it, and those who could take action (if they could decide what to do!) are the politicians, who earn an awful lot more than I do anyway, and will not have to rely upon a state pension...

In all seriousness, it is quite clear throughout most of the Western world that the systems are in trouble. We all want to be comfortable in old age but who will pay? In that regard, HerrDinksbumps is right ( others may write about it in a more subtle way!! ). So we DO all need to put aside some money privately for a supplementary pension, no doubt. That is a financial sacrifice though there are one or two private pension/insurance schemes which have substantial tax/social insurance advantages which you can go through with an independent advisor.

Remember, though , terrible things can happen before pensionable age to your health so that issue is important to address, too.

Right, that´s enough schilling or whatever the word is ( spelling?) :) for today!

there are one or two private pension/insurance schemes which have substantial tax/social insurance advantages which you can go through with an independent advisor.

Remember, though , terrible things can happen before pensionable age to your health so that issue is important to address, too.

- think you forgot the disclaimer this time John, or have your retired already? (don´t tell me - it was you with the €1 million in the bank!) :)

Off-topic:

This belongs on the rant thread

Had I known there was such a thing, I would have put it there.

Dear HerrDinksbumps, welcome to The Vent :)

Back to topic.

The difference is, I have zero Anspruch auf the German system, though I pay for it by working when I can

That's how the social welfare system works: everyone pays in, and those that need help take out. As you have children, you get much more back than I do, but you don't see me starting an anti-parent thread. And those pensioners did not pay for their Mercedes with your taxes, but presumably through hard work – something which you, as a rabid right-winger, are supposed to be ideologically supportive of. If you don't like the social welfare system then you can go live in Zimbabwe or the 18th century.

the unemployed, Rentners, etc.. are NOT paying.

They may not pay any income tax on their wage but they nonetheless continue to pay tax in the form of sales tax, income tax on other income, etc.

This reminds me of a film I saw a few years ago: Wild on the Streets, from 1968. Trailers and the entire movie are available on YouTube. In the movie, the voting age is lowered to 14, anyone over 30 is forced to retire. It is a thought provoking film, with some amazing quotes. It articulates the topic thoughtfully, but shows how absurdly stupid ageism is.

I tried uploading the trailer, but can't get the link to work, maybe someone else has seen this movie?

A Rentner who retired at 63 or whatever and lives to 85 has surely taken more out than he put in.. Or at the very least taken far more out than it was planned that he should.

This boss of the Rentensystem wants to force freelancers to pay in, because so many people are retiring with insufficient funds. Well, for one forcing them to pay MORE into the system will drive many of them into bankruptcy and unemployment. Period. And that is obviously just stupid. Secondly, these Rentners who have outlived their contributions to the system and continue to live on.., and relatively comfortably, given that they are putting nothing into the system - except their sales tax... - but continue to have first-world health coverage, AND in many cases a frankly comfortably lifestyle - for decades..., are destroying the system. Germany is paying through the nose for millions of old people to live off the system without paying into it for decades..

OK OK, that is a demographic problem that society as a whole has to deal with and solve. My only point is that there is an imbalance in the approach to the system, with too much emphasis on the Rentners, and not enough on the younger generations. And the sense of entitlement among current-day Rentners is also just off-putting.. You can see it everywhere - newspapers, TV, daily life.. Are all of them living the high-life? No. But many are, and given the costs to the health and pension system, it can only be concluded afaic that they are doing so at the expense of younger generations. I'm not advocating soylant green scenarios (well, maybe in jest.., and as the years go on and my health insurance premiums go up, less and less in jest..), but I just think there at least needs to be some more recognition of the issue and acknowledgement of its ramifications and impact on youger generations..

Maybe it's just bullshit politics, and this Rentenboss guy is fishing for fogey-votes... That is where the numbers are, after all...