Italian looking for a new life and opportunities

39 posts in this topic

Hi I have just registered to this forum...

I am an Italian living in Florida, in the United States. I am 20 years old and currently attending a university as a mechanical engineering student.

To get straight to the point...I am desperate to move out of the US. I am fed up with superficial Americans, the terrible food, the lifestyle, the women, etc. I realize that other places in the US are more sophisticated such as New York. Still, I feel like I belong in Europe, not here.

Anyways, I've been attracted to Germany and Germans for a long time. I admire German engineering, and I have a soft spot for blondes...haha. Well I've decided I'm going to visit Germany this summer. I'm seriously thinking of moving there if I enjoy my experience, but I am totally at a loss of what cities to consider.

I am looking for a place that:

is very alive and has a large young population.

is easier to make groups of friends my age

has great nightlife (I especially like house parties)

overall has a lot to do/going on

Has good job oppurtunities.

Has friendly locals, and enjoyable women (not stuck up or arrogant)

Has both city and a country environment (I don't like to be in a caged atmosphere like New York but don't want to live in a forest either)

Also, I currently know close to no German...but I am very willing to learn and have a talent for languages. I would greatly appreciate any insight. Thank you.

Truth is, most of your complaints amount to you hanging out with the wrong people, not that you're in the wrong country. The other complaint, that the food sucks, well, just wait.

Why don't you try Milan instead of any city in Germany? It is more or less the cultural and economical capital of Italy, you already have the citizenship and there are quite a few blondes around. If you don't like it there Germany is not far.

1 is very alive and has a large young population.

2 is easier to make groups of friends my age

3 has great nightlife (I especially like house parties)

4 overall has a lot to do/going on

5 Has good job oppurtunities.

6 Has friendly locals, and enjoyable women (not stuck up or arrogant)

If you are used to American or Italian standards especially 1, 2 and 6 will be surprisingly hard to find. All the more if don't speak the language.

Damn, Ominous, what a shame you missed your chance of hooking up with Toytown's most famous young Italian party animal, Alexander Mahone. He was especially experienced with house parties too, (at least he was always telling us about them going on in his house). Would've been the guy to see about great nightlife, friendly locals, and enjoyable women and places where it's very alive and has a large young population.

I'm a bit flummoxed about one of your conditions. How'd you think you'll find any place where it's easier to make groups of friends, (unless you're expecting to be signing up for some generation FarceBook thing)? The majority of people a German knows, other than colleagues, are called aquaintances until they've known one another for 5+ years or more. Germans don't tend toward making individual friends very often. Somehow I don't think they'd ever consider making friends in bulk.

2B

Bohemka

That is an incorrect assumption. I've lived in the US almost my whole life. I speak of Florida when I say that I've hung out in almost every different crowd you can think of. The nerds, jocks, skaters, rockers, rappers, emos, hispanics. And do you know what category my few good friends I have here fit in? None of them, they're all foreigners like myself lol.

The guys here that get the women are the jocks (my age group). You have to be a complete meat head and superficial to get with the hottest girls. The girls of course, are even more superficial than the guys, and absolutely die for complete jerks that are arrogant and talk down to others. I can't be myself around these girls or even the guys. I speak of the majority of course because I've gotten with quite a few fine girls but they're usually the exception. Most of these jocks don't even act themselves. It's a whole cultural thing that they follow to succeed. I speak of the majority of Florida, if not all of US college life.

Regardless of college life my father always told me that Americans think differently than us. Every race is different of course and I'm just tired of having to adapt to get along with most Americans. I have a European mentality. Also I think it's ridiculous how most Americans I talk to act like Europe is some desert wasteland. They're like, "why would you want to move there??" LOL.

Anyways let's not get side tracked...

Beuel

I understand what you're saying, and I've actually considered that as well. However one thing you have to understand is that my family is very international. My mom moved to England for college and then here to the US when I was little. My uncle works for the Italian embassy in the fashion department making bank for Italy as well as himself. He is currently stationed in Latvia. I've traveled to lot's of countries, I took my first international flight from US to Italy by myself when I was 6. My mom is very talented with languages and speaks 5 fluently. I have some of her talent and pick up languages fast. So anyways I feel like I need to travel, and go wherever my heart takes me. I need to get out of this isolated country.

2B

Damn! So where is this Alexander, he's not around anymore?

Yeah I suppose what I meant with that condition is I want to be accepted by German groups of people even though I am Italian and look nothing like them (I have olive skin lol.) I am very amicable though and confident in myself.

I am fed up with superficial Americans . . . I am looking for a place that is easier to make groups of friends my age

Do you see a problem with these two statements? It's easy to make friends with Americans, because they are "superficial", as you say. It's quite difficult [very time consuming] to make friends with Germans, as has been stated to you already. Spend some time on this forum... have a look around before you take the leap. Have you ever been to Germany as an adult? To Italy as an adult? I have lived in both countries (when I was older than you are now), and I can tell you that life in Italy is easier for the things which you seek. Do you speak Italian? If yes, your life there would be significantly easier/ richer.

It goes without saying that the food in Italy is orders of magnitude better than what you will find in Germany. :D Buon Natale!

Yeah I see your point. Again I don't mean to condemn all Floridians, but I just find the culture and general values of people here to be shallow.

I suppose I should give Milan a fair chance. Truth is I'm a while away from making a decision....and I think the reason I haven't even thought of moving back to my own homeland is because of my father -_-

I was born in Napoli. I'm first generation, I still speak Italian fluently. Although my vocabulary is slightly subpar to other Italians my age living in Italy. I just feel lost...my whole life I've been thrown from country to country. While I've easily adapted to my environment, I've felt longing for a very long time.

Anyways believe me, I love the food in Italy! Nothing else in the world like it ;) (Neapolitan food is the best)

Buon Natale!

I just feel lost...my whole life I've been thrown from country to country. While I've easily adapted to my environment, I've felt longing for a very long time.

I'm bicultural, too, and understand your issues. I've posted to this link before: rd culture kids

It might help you understand where you're coming from.

Many TCKs take years to readjust to their passport countries. They often suffer a reverse culture shock upon their return, and are often perpetually homesick for their adopted country. Many third culture kids face an identity crisis: they don't know where they come from. It would be typical for a TCK to say that he is a citizen of a country, but with nothing beyond his passport to define that identification for him. Such children usually find it difficult to answer the question, "Where are you from?" Compared to their peers who have lived their entire lives in a single culture, TCKs have a globalized culture. Others can have difficulty relating to them. It is hard for TCKs to present themselves as a single cultured person, which makes it hard for others who have not had similar experiences to accept them for who they are. They know bits and pieces of at least two cultures, yet most of them have not fully experienced any one culture making them feel incomplete or left out by other children who have not lived overseas. They often build social networks among themselves and prefer to socialize with other TCKs.

And I would recommend this book to read: Third Culture Kids: The Experience of Growing Up Among Worlds

Well, Munich might be an idea, since it's the unofficial nothernmost italian city :lol: . But you really need to speak German and, more importantly, have some skills that will make you employable.

But wherever you want to move, go and have a look first and see how you like it - I understand where you are coming from, but if you are looking for roots, you may not find them where you expected.

Thanks Bramble, that is very interesting. I didn't realize so many others feel my distress.

Well, Munich might be an idea, since it's the unofficial nothernmost italian city

Why do you say that? Haha. Are there many Italians there? :)

I guess I'm a little embarassed to move back to Italy because I won't be as up to speed as my fellow Italians =/

Why do you say that? Haha. Are there many Italians there?

:blink: Do you really not know this? Yes, there's plenty of Italians here, especially on the middle weekend during Octoberfest.

Really, you want to come to Germany? Read up on it - your lack of knowledge isn't boding well for a future here. Learn the lingo, check for jobs, etc, etc.

Taking bets on Ominous moving to Munich and hanging out with Americans there.

Camlough and others, take it easy I still have minimum 3 and a half more years of college before I move anywhere. When I will have graduated I will have a masters in mechanical engineering, as well as know at least basic German if I decide that as my future location.

Hmm but from what I've read Munich sounds kind of boring. That's impossible if there are many Italians there!

Cinzia don't take it personally. I'm fine with Americans, I just know that the US isn't my kind of habitat. Also Americans living in Munich are definitely different than isolated Americans that have never left North America.

Anyways I'm just thinking ahead. I'm excited for my future new life, career, and definitely women ;)

I still have minimum 3 and a half more years of college before I move anywhere.

Good lord, then transfer! Boston actually has all the qualities that you list in your first post, plus a large expat community that includes lots of Germans.

Also, others can comment on this more, but I suspect that your american mechanical engineering degree will not be as valued in Germany as much as one might like.

Cinzia don't take it personally. I'm fine with Americans, I just know that the US isn't my kind of habitat. Also Americans living in Munich are definitely different than isolated Americans that have never left North America.

As an American who lived in Munich for 6 years, I can confirm that this is indisputably true.

Also, most Americans are different than Floridians. ;) I agree with modernbird, who advised you to give Boston a try.

Since you express your disappointment with your fellow Americans, I'll point out two things:

1. Americans aren't all the same;

2. You may have a skewed view of young Europeans. They are more like American young people than you think.

You have to be a complete meat head and superficial to get with the hottest girls.

And yours is not a superficial attitude at all. Why would you think hot girls in Europe don't have standards you can't meet? They may not be the same standards as girls in Florida, but they're standards, nonetheless.

Have you read any of the threads here on dating German girls? Might want to have a browse.