Munich Orthodontia--reasonable&customary costs

9 posts in this topic

I've been working with an English-speaking, Neuhausen area orthodontist to arrange for orthodontic treatment for my 15 year old daughter.

I received his cost-estimate in the post yesterday. I have no idea whether his quote of 7K+ euros for treatment (not invisalign, FYI) is typical for Munich. My only point of comparison is with a 2 year orthodontic treatment in a west coast, major US metropolitan area, completed several years ago. Munich is more than double.

I've sent a copy of the contract to my bilingual lawyer friend to make sure that I fully understand what the treatment entails and what costs, if any, are negotiable, before I sign anything.

We have private insurance which will require most of our expense to be paid out of pocket.

My inclination is to pay what I owe him for treatment already received (xrays, model), graciously thank him and either wait until my daughter starts university or find another orthodontist.

In the US, insurances often determine a price point for various medical and dental procedures--it is the "reasonable and customary" cost. What I'm trying to figure out is what is reasonable and customary for Munich.

Any guidance, webpages with data etc. would be appreciated.

It's late and I don't have the paperwork handy, but...

On the recommendation of several neighbors, I took my daughter to Prognath. They upstairs right next to Hugendubel at Stacchus. For people insured by the TKK, I think the cost is covered. You may want to get a quote from them for comparison purposes. We've been very satisfied with their work so far. After a year or two of braces, my daughter is looking forward to having hers removed in Feb. Wonder if I'll still recognize her then :D

With public insurance, we paid along the way for the braces/check ups/fine tuning and then the retainger that my son wore after. Once all was complete, we got all of our money back. It was incentive to complete the entire program. That was 11 yrs. ago, though. I thought it still fell under children getting "free" health care.

Same here. One kid finished a couple of years ago, one kid just finished in November. Our public insurance paid 80% of the bills at the time, we paid 20% and then got reimbursed when treatment was over. I'd have to add up all the bills to see what the total amount was, but EUR 7000 sounds kine of hefty. I'm thinking more of the EUR 3000 - 3500 range, but I suppose it depends on exactly what is being done. Some cases are more difficult than others.

That quote should have the words "Heil- und Kostenplan" at the top of it.

Unfortunately, it isn't very binding, the dentist can claim during the treatment that it was more complicated than he anticipated and charge instead of a factor 1.0 a higher factor like 2.3 or even 3.5 (source). If a lab is also involved those costs can also deviate from the quote.

What you could do is post that "Heil- und Kostenplan" on the web sites mentioned in this Süddeutsche article and get a cheaper quote.

On average, people save about half the amount by doing this and letting dentists bid on the treatment.

Scroll down on this page to "Spange" for somebody who paid 3,500€ instead of 6,172€ for a 13 year old's braces:

1. click on that "Spange" for the details, and you will get this details page
  2. the Heil- und Kostenplan (= HKP) for that 13 year old is attached under the heading "Anlagen" (see red arrow in image below)

post-24869-13242556980232_thumb.jpg

post-24869-13242560814919.jpg

If you click on the bidding dentist's user name, in this case Eifelzahnarzt, you will see the reviews patients have written about him him.

You don't have to accept any of the bids, and you can visit the bidding dentists in person to see whether you like one of them.

The dentists build up reputations on these web sites, so they shouldn't try to rip you off by hiking the price during the treatment since you would then write a bad review.

Thank you everyone. I am definitely going to look into these options.

The orthodontist in Neuhausen is very capable and nice--just expensive :)

I will keep working through my options to see what I can find. Postponing braces would not be a good idea in this case!

@Neuhausen New Girl

Would you be willing to post contact details of your Neuhausen orthodontist? Always good to have personal recommendations.

The orthodontist is Felix Kirchner and his associate is Christina Raptarchis, an orthodontist who trained in the US.

http://www.better-smile.de/

Most of their staff speak English. They are conveniently located next to the Rotkreuzplatz Ubahn by the Galleria Kaufhof. They are terrific about answering email inquiries.

Dr. Kirchner was recommended to me by an expat family with children at Bavarian International--he is affiliated with a pediatric dental practice Zahninsel Kinderzahnartz at Milbertshofener Straße 90 80807 München. Their family has been very pleased with the dental services and the consultations with Dr. Kirchner there. Since Dr. Kirchner also works out of his own office in Neuhausen, I was happy to talk with him. I had a visit with him about my daughter's potential treatment and found him knowledgeable and extremely competent.

If I were to do this again, I would ask for a statement of costs and fees upfront. We received the invoice for just the consultation and records and it was exceptionally expensive, particularly after working with US orthodontists. However, the fees may be more in line with the UK. I'm still trying to sort that out :)

Hope this is helpful!

An update:

The website PandaMunich mentioned does not support bidding for orthodontics anymore. Yeah everything except Kieferorthopädie.

Für welche Zahnbehandlungen kann ich eine Auktion einstellen?

Wie es so schön heißt: alles außer Kieferorthopädie.

Jeglichen Zahnersatz. Also gerne Zahnkronen oder Zahnbrücken, Teleskop-Prothesen, Zahnimplantate mit oder ohne Knochenaufbau oder (internen / externen) Sinuslift ...

But found this site. https://www.medikompass.de/kieferorthopaedie-preisvergleich.php

Haven't checked it thoroughly but will update later.