Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rail & fly option - air travel

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I am flying out from a gulf based airline which has a rail & fly option, just wanted to check if i could travel in all type of trains including ICE as well. request confirmation from those who have already traveled through such option

Regards

BSD

yes, you can use any train but only second class and no reserved seat unless you pay additionally. also i think you can travel up to 24 hours prior to dep and 24 hours after arrival. when you get your air ticket they will normally give you two codes which you have to punch into the regular ticket machine at the railway station and it will then print you a valid travel voucher. without this voucher, even with your air ticket or rail/fly confirmation you are actually ticketless and will be fined. now for the bad news: 9 times out of 10 the code is not recognised by the machine. so you then have to go to the ticket counter and they may or may not give you a voucher. usually they will look on the DB online reservation and say you are not in it and say sorry. they are not lying, you are not in the DB system because you did not buy the ticket from DB, your travel agent or airline did, in bulk. ask them then to give you something to show the ticket collector on the train. instead of fining you on the spot the ticket collector will give you a deferred show-cause or pay notice. this says you are allowed to travel but you must prove within 14 days that you were entitled to travel or you must pay the fare and the fine or face legal action. this is stressful esp if you are leaving the country because from half way around the globe you will have take it up with your travel agent or ticket issuer who will then take it up with the airline who will then take it up with DB and it all has to be solved within those 14 days.

my advice is, go to the train station a day or two in advance and try to print your train voucher (you can do it up to a week before the flight). if it works great, if not at least you'll have time to sort it out. on one occasion i got my travel agent to give me in writing that if i couldn't print the voucher at the station i could buy a ticket at full fare and they would refund me.

rail/fly used to be easy and fun, it is now a total PITA.

Thanks guys, i know the procedure to get the ticket, hopefully it works. i was only concerned if i can use ICE