Importing Indian food via other EU countries to DE

14 posts in this topic

Hello and Namaste!

I, a German citizen, would like to import Ayurvedic food supplements and wellness products (no medicine) from India to Germany.

Direct import from IN to DE causes an expensive process of certification (e.g. via http://www.fresenius.com/index.htm) and registration.

Another fully legal way is importing those goods (with labels surely in German) via another EU country like the Netherlands with harbour Rotterdam to Germany.

Lots of Indian and Pakistani shopsellers in Germany do like this.

Who can advise me on this matter?

I will certainly later on when the business is running, go for German certification accordingly but for a start-up company, I really would like to postpone such activities.

From custom´s perspective import of those is fully fine as long food authorities also accept the import.

Which they do not o for a direct import without certification.

Is there a way importing via Rotterdam and have the goods declared already in the Netherlands, so that shipment can enter legally into German market?

Final destination is Frankfurt.

Any help is most welcome!

Is having a registere company in the Netherlands (as an example) a must for import via NL?

Please note: Target is legal import to Germany avoiding costly certification process for the time being.

I do not have experience with Indian food, but I do import Whey protein from the USA through Belgium. My advice would be to use an agent. I cannot recommend a specific agent because my agent focuses on nutraceuticals, but try searching for it. Or you can try a freight forwarding company who will do all the India - Holland paperwork for you and then arrange transport to Germany. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freight_forwarder

I have worked with a German freight forwarding company http://www.seabridge.de/ and also australian http://www.transways.com.au/, so maybe you can ask them for recommendations.

to answer your question. it is no necessary to have a company in the netherlands for import via there. You do not need a company here, just a trading licence, i.e. Gewerbe.

You mention the labels about these being in German. I think if you further look in to this law it states a recognised European Laguage, so if the labels are in Indian with English, (most products form India are) then there is no need for you to put German labels on the products.

As you mention you are a start up company or looking to start up have you considered sourcing these products from the UK market?

There are no cross border issues and no additional costs with the exception of postage and packaging.

Indian ayurvedic and food products I am planning on are not available in UK market: Solely in India.

As far I was told from "Veterinäramt" (food authority office) I need to let all products register and test. Testing for instance one "fully harmless" soap (vegan; no animal ingredients) is being charged 500-1500 Eur by various labs (e.g Fresenius).

We have 1000s of foreign shops in Germany selling food products from Africa, China, India and wherever - just with a German label telling on the ingredients.

I do not want to believe - like German authorities try to make me believe, that all those 10 000s of food items in a e.g. Chinese Supermarket in Franfurt got registered and tested in Germany.

Only alternative I could make out, is that food gets imported into another EU country which is not so strict on regulations and testing.

Once imported in the EU, Germany needs to accept it and items can be legally distributed in Germany.

If thousands do that business, it cannot be that difficult.I am grateful for any advise. I do not want to run into any legal issues later on.

Did anybody already try on

New EU Regulation No. 1223/2009 starting from Januar 11, 2011

?

Only alternative I could make out, is that food gets imported into another EU country which is not so strict on regulations and testing.

I don't know if that's true, but I've noticed that a lot of the packaged food you find in Asian stores is imported by companies in the Netherlands.

Did anybody already try on

This is your business, not ours. If someone who knows saw and felt like posting, you would've had an answer. You're going to have to do the work yourself or hire help, starting with a lawyer.

I've noticed that a lot of the packaged food you find in Asian stores is imported by companies in the Netherlands.

From what I've seen almost all East Asian goods come through NL wholesalers and distributors. There are three majors I've seen transporting the goods here to Munich in NL-tagged 12½t & 40-ft white trucks.

woof.

Hello there,

I can help you with some of the things about the aurvedic medicines from india. do contact me if you can here. I am an indian living in dusseldorf right now.

On 3/2/2012, 6:30:23, dev2012 said:

Hello there,

I can help you with some of the things about the aurvedic medicines from india. do contact me if you can here. I am an indian living in dusseldorf right now.

I need to have some Ayurvedic medicine being sent from India to Berlin. Can you help with this?

3 hours ago, michelbisson said:

I need to have some Ayurvedic medicine being sent from India to Berlin. Can you help with this?

Good thing it´s not real medicine, otherwise it would be illegal, as importing medicine is illegal.

EDIT: it does seem to be illegal!

https://www.deccanherald.com/content/134447/ayurvedic-medicines-face-eu-ban.html

I love this part. Shooting themselves in the foot!

Herbal practitioners say it is impossible for most herbal medicines to meet the licensing requirements for safety and quality, which are intended to be similar to those for pharmaceutical drugs, because of the cost of testing.