26% of Berliners are xenophobic

47 posts in this topic

I meant Pi-news. Anyway, according to a quick google search:

Die Recherche im Internet hat ergeben, dass sich ein gewisser Stefan Herre aus Bergisch Gladbach für pi-news.net verantwortlich zeichnet, der seit ca. 2004 als geistiger Brandstifter im Netz sein Unwesen treib

The guy is a teacher actually. :angry:

One of the most vomit-inducing websites I've ever read. But among the right-wingers they're one of the weirder ones, they claim to be pro Israel and America. Unlike the usual suspects npd and dvu.

I think the focus is on the smaller part of the population because while in the minority, nearly a quarter is still far too many. Truly, it is an appallingly high proportion, Minderheit as it may be.

Provided, that the individuals they've questioned represent a typical average group of Germans, and that the group was large enough to be statistically relevant. If you would ask friends of mine in Germany, who have traveled across the globe all their life, the percentage of xenophobes amongst them would be 0%.

Tuch can also be used to describe a scarf, dessa. Usually refers to finer materials, not thick wool like a Schal.

Unfortunately I don't learn something every day, but today I did. Thanks for setting me straight!

Provided, that the individuals they've questioned represent a typical average group of Germans, and that the group was large enough to be statistically relevant. If you would ask friends of mine in Germany, who have traveled across the globe all their life, the percentage of xenophobes amongst them would be 0%.

fair enough

Hello, I'm back now. Thanks very much for those who have responded, positively, usefully, in the meantime. Interesting stuff here:

They surveyed a total of 1010 people, roughly 84 per Bezirk but survey doesn't say how many people were actually asked in each district. For those who wish to read the whole thing: http://www.tagesspiegel.de/downloads/5962984/1/Studie:%20Wie%20tolerant%20ist%20Berlin

Of course there are too many xenophobic asshats out there, but this survey wasn't done very well.

Ok, I didn't notice the sample was so small so, fair enough comment and good to know it was such a small number.

How many of those 26% are employers?

Considering the conclusion is that the 26% consist of those with low income and poor education, it's implied that they are not many! But, haha, some of us know otherwise.

Jeez, what crawled up under some of you and died? It's a perfectly TT-worthy topic.

Mosothogirl, I saw a snippet of said topic on the U-bahn today and was, sadly, not surprised. It did specifically mention that most of the fremdfeinde respondents tended to be older or not so well educated.

With surveys like that, though, you always have to wonder if it was just they who were unafraid to answer honestly. I don't mean to suggest that the younger, better educated Berliners are merely concealing their xenophobia, but of course with response-based surveys the results are necessarily dependent on what information the respondent is willing to give.

FWIW, I do know of a number of younger, well-educated Germans who find the presence of certain foreigners to be a problem. Some of them will concede that the problem is complicated and multi-tiered, but there are also a good number who wish foreigners and those of foreign extraction would just "act right" i.e. "integrate". Something along the lines of "when in Rome."

I believe I have banged on enough about my opinions on the issue of "integration" not to beat that dead horse here once again...

Thanks Dessa. I'm glad you think this merits some serious comment, I was somewhat taken aback with the responses from today afternoon. Haha, I guess I should've remembered all the details in the small print!

I agree, the problem is complex, and my friends who are well educated and earning a decent living can be AWFUL about... West Germans! So, the xenophobia thing is an interesting one because I certainly don't feel it simply boils down to racism and ignorance of the other.

These surveys have been popping up every few years as long as I can remember, and they always have the same result: some Germans like foreigners, others don't. The institutes and the media only put the emphasis on the (much) smaller xenophobic part of the population because "glass half empty" sells better. Personally, I find these surveys annoying. They are predictable, they are often politically biased, and they never bring any changes for the better.

Yes, I thinks so too. They don't bring any change but for me, they can be a source of understanding. What is said in a survey does is not often what occurs in RL. What annoys me in the demonisation of Ossies or older/uneducated/poor people, I have met some of the nicest, kindest, accepting people in these very groups. So...

Another, more serious statictic was released today:

Around 25% of all foreigners in Berlin live on or just above the official level of poverty, that is less than 60% of the average income.

Xenophobia has almost always to do with wealth and welfare, and the "felt" truth of many xenophobic people is that foreigners take either somehow advantage of the welfare system or are due to a lack of language skills, professionel skill or general attitude to work unable or unwilling to earn their lives without public aid.

Bingo! Thanks for this, a link would be appreciated.

Vielen Dank und schoenen Abend Euch.

Ooops! Contradiction there with 'understanding' I mean, understanding in the sense of a general mood but pleasant surprise when it's contradicted. Stats don't explain everything...

There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

Years ago a UK newspaper did a similar survey. On the surface, many respondents said that they hated "Pakis" (Paki = derogatory word meaning anyone from the Indian subcontinent whether from Pakistan itself, India or Bangladesh) and that they should all be "sent home".

The same survey then asked the respondents how many immigrants they actually knew, and the results were somewhat different.

"Pakis, I hate 'em - but not Ali. I work with 'im an' 'e's as honest as the day is long - mended my kid's bike for me. Great bloke."

(Etc).

A perusal of Toytown will reveal Brits who hate Yanks and Aussies, Aussies who hate Poms and Seppos (Septic Tank - Yank), various other Anglophones who detest Brits, Krauts etc, etc.

My girlfriend's son "hates" Muslims - but one of his best mates comes from - wait for it - Syria.

Speaking as a Brit, there are Brits who I can't fucking stand, and I'm certain that there are Brits who can't stand me either.

Worth spending time with people you like and who like you. Sod the rest of them to Kingdom Come.

My girlfriend's son "hates" Muslims - but one of his best mates comes from - wait for it - Syria.

Since this is a banter thread, I will point out that there is quite a sizeable Christian/Druze/Other minority population there and nationality =/= religion, but I generally agree with you.