26% of Berliners are xenophobic

47 posts in this topic

Do the math. 74% are not xenophonic. Seriously, why focus on the 26%?

Because 98% if all statistics concern a below average part of the population that don't like being in that group.

There's a 1in4 chance the person next to you in Berlin is a miserable unt.

I find that hard to believe because I was always under the impression that all people with dogs in Berlin are miserable. That means because 3in4 berliners own dogs they are miserable. The statistics got it wrong.

Do the math. 74% are not xenophonic. Seriously, why focus on the 26%?

Did you read the article? I'm not concerned with the stats, or the 26%, rather the conclusions and their meaning, for some of us living in Berlin.

99% of men masturbate, and the other 1% lie about it.

I love numbers.

What about the other 15% that have no... capacity to do so? kids and the slightly older generation?

Did you read the article? I'm not concerned with the stats, or the 26%, rather the conclusions and their meaning, for some of us living in Berlin.

I read the article, I just think you are being too pessimistic. Kapish?

I read the article, I just think you are being too pessimistic. Kapish?

Kapiert. Although I was actually cheered to read the study because, as I said, it confirmed the feeling in the air. My friends (mostly Ostberliner) and I in RL have being discussing this and they deemed me paranoid. I am not, and it is comforting to know that it has been scientifically researched as recently as last month. I put this in the TT forum because I wanted to be able to discuss the findings with people who might have different experiences/thoughts. As noted, the most interesting response has been of the poster who has asked what % constitutes migrant-on-migrant xenophobia.

Anyhoo...

100% of 'Krieg's don't notice apostrophies at the beginning of words. I was making a reference to 'timezoner' which, as far as I'm aware, isn't a word, and therefore can't be pluralised. (Yep, I'm British)

So beer's are on you.

I don't quite see whay you seem to think the article is telling people anything they didn't already know.

Specifically mentioned are 1) Marzahn (tendentailly lower on the economic ladder) and foreigners of Turkish, Arab and Russian origin.

While I don't condone any of that, it doesn't surprise me one little bit to hear that cities/areas where unemployment is high start to look to "other" people to bear a grudge against - as they feel their "innate" right to jobs is benig eroded by people who don't belong, and that Muslims, who have been targetted by worldwide western media for the last several years (I'm not going to go into the issues of what some Muslim radicals have done; there is a very large Muslim population which hasn't) are being targetted.

Not as if this tendency hasn't been noticed anywhere in the world in recent or not so recent history, is it.

They surveyed a total of 1010 people, roughly 84 per Bezirk but survey doesn't say how many people were actually asked in each district. For those who wish to read the whole thing: http://www.tagesspiegel.de/downloads/5962984/1/Studie:%20Wie%20tolerant%20ist%20Berlin

Of course there are too many xenophobic asshats out there, but this survey wasn't done very well.

I was making a reference to 'timezoner' which, as far as I'm aware, isn't a word, and therefore can't be pluralised.

post-29698-13240425153483.jpg

Jeez, what crawled up under some of you and died? It's a perfectly TT-worthy topic.

Mosothogirl, I saw a snippet of said topic on the U-bahn today and was, sadly, not surprised. It did specifically mention that most of the fremdfeinde respondents tended to be older or not so well educated.

With surveys like that, though, you always have to wonder if it was just they who were unafraid to answer honestly. I don't mean to suggest that the younger, better educated Berliners are merely concealing their xenophobia, but of course with response-based surveys the results are necessarily dependent on what information the respondent is willing to give.

FWIW, I do know of a number of younger, well-educated Germans who find the presence of certain foreigners to be a problem. Some of them will concede that the problem is complicated and multi-tiered, but there are also a good number who wish foreigners and those of foreign extraction would just "act right" i.e. "integrate". Something along the lines of "when in Rome."

I believe I have banged on enough about my opinions on the issue of "integration" not to beat that dead horse here once again...

These surveys have been popping up every few years as long as I can remember, and they always have the same result: some Germans like foreigners, others don't. The institutes and the media only put the emphasis on the (much) smaller xenophobic part of the population because "glass half empty" sells better. Personally, I find these surveys annoying. They are predictable, they are often politically biased, and they never bring any changes for the better.

I think the focus is on the smaller part of the population because while in the minority, nearly a quarter is still far too many. Truly, it is an appallingly high proportion, Minderheit as it may be.

Germany maybe hasn't had as much time to get used to thinking of their country as multi-cultural. Where I come from in the United States though, you would probably find a much smaller number of people who would admit to such feelings. Whether they actually have these feelings and are merely hiding them, I couldn't say. But as we don't have a clear idea about who is an ethnic American besides the now nearly non-existent original races, it's a bit harder to make specific demands upon an immigrant's behavior, religion, etc.

To be fair, it is easier to understand how European countries without significant colonial holdings could come to the conclusion that their country belongs mainly to its ethnic inhabitants. Not that it is an excuse--just less baffling than similar sentiments coming out of the U.S., Australia, Great Britain et al.

As always, it does seem like misdirected resentment--I'm willing to bet that most of the "foreigners" with whom the "xenophobic" respondents take issue are here legally or were even born here. That means it's their own government's policies they need to be complaining to/about.

Another, more serious statictic was released today:

Around 25% of all foreigners in Berlin live on or just above the official level of poverty, that is less than 60% of the average income.

Xenophobia has almost always to do with wealth and welfare, and the "felt" truth of many xenophobic people is that foreigners take either somehow advantage of the welfare system or are due to a lack of language skills, professionel skill or general attitude to work unable or unwilling to earn their lives without public aid.

you're of course right, but I do think there are just as many people who resent Muslim foreigners (for example) solely for their crime of being Muslim. The fear that Sharia law will be introduced in Germany is not unheard of among its wealthier, more educated inhabitants, either.

I realize we're not supposed to be offended at terms like "Kopftuch" but seriously? Towel-head? It's shitty. If you can't be bothered to call it a scarf or by its proper name then you're just taking the piss.

Tuch can also be used to describe a scarf, dessa. Usually refers to finer materials, not thick wool like a Schal. Believe me, of all the terms xenophobes use to describe Muslims here, this isn't one of them. Just read PI if you can stomach that sh*t.