Christopher Hitchens has died

50 posts in this topic

For a dissenting view of Hitchens that has nothing to do with his famous atheism, see this.

I guess many people here are either willing to overlook, have forgotten about, or are unaware of his war-drum-beating on behalf of the "coalition governments" in the "War on Terror," including his enthusiasm for the use of weapons banned by many nations:

[On the use of cluster bombs by the US in Afghanistan] If you’re actually certain that you’re hitting only a concentration of enemy troops…then it’s pretty good because those steel pellets will go straight through somebody and out the other side and through somebody else. And if they’re bearing a Koran over their heart, it’ll go straight through that, too. So they won’t be able to say, “Ah, I was bearing a Koran over my heart and guess what, the missile stopped halfway through.” No way, ’cause it’ll go straight through that as well. They’ll be dead, in other words.

I appreciated much of Hitchens' writing, especially his expressions of disdain for current theocratic elements in Western government. But as the drums are now again coming to a crescendo, this time with Iran as target country, I'm glad Hitchens is unable to lend his voice to the cacophony.

I'm glad Hitchens is unable to lend his voice to the cacophony.

You know that Hitch did a 180 after getting himself "waterboarded" for about 7 seconds, right? Still defended BushCo but for political reasons. The world is a sadder and stupider place without him

Edit: Jeebus, how do people live with themselves not being able to understand my joke above? I know Hitch would've chuckled.

woof.

He did a 180 on whether waterboarding is torture. Not on whether the wars in the ME were worthwhile, AFAIK. Anyway, too little, too late, and he was on the wrong side of history on that one, though he certainly wasn't alone.

I think it's a matter of record that he never withdrew his support for the various wars in the middle east. Had he lived longer, who knows? Being willing to undergo waterboarding to determine if it is torture, yet (to my knowledge) being unable to acknowledge that the suffering of the ordinary peoples of Iraq and Afghanistan was perhaps unnecessary speaks of a peculiar mix of empiricism and bombast.

The man was a contrarian and a polemicist, his aim was never to be consistent but to make you think about your own views. I liked hearing him argue for aetheism, less so for invasions. An interesting man in a world too short of them.

Christopher Hitchens didn't hold anything back on this interview about Jerry Falwell.

"Once you assume a creator and a plan, it makes us objects in a cruel experiment, whereby we are created sick and commanded to be well. And over us to supervise this is installed a celestial dictatorship; a kind of divine North Korea, greedy for uncritical praise from dawn until dusk, and swift to punish the original sins which it tenderly gifted us with in the first place."

Christopher Hitchens.

Like no one else, this great writer, speaker and intellectual cut through the mountain of theocratic bullshit like a hot knife though butter. Along with Richard Dawkins, he was the voice of reason in a cacophony of ignorance - just should have given up smoking.

RIP Chris.

Well, Christopher Hitchens lived his life on his own terms. It wasn't just the excessive smoking. I read it was at some point a 90 cigarette habit a day that probably did him in that contributed to his demise at a relatively young age of 62, but the 25 year old scotch he regularly used too. I also read he continued to smoke after his diagnosis.

I need the junky energy that scotch can provide, and the intense short-term concentration that nicotine can help supply. To be crouched over a book or a keyboard, with these conditions of mingled reverie and alertness, is my highest happiness.

He died from the same disease his dad had, esophageal cancer, the only difference was his dad died of this disease in his late seventies at the age of 79.

post-14005-13243332138444.jpg