Tracey Emin (aged 48 years and 5 months)

80 posts in this topic

What a bunch of boring, reactionary turnipheads you are. Jeremy, i'm disappointed in you mate.

Absolultely agree with Chocky's post # 27

It makes no sense to push up your view on others. It makes no sense to judge people if they don't see what you see.

Sadly Chocky doesn't share your views.

But as I said before, I would never ever push someone to share my point of view. Either you like it or you don't. That's all

And I have said before that whether you like it or not is immaterial to whether or not you consider it art. There's a lot of stuff I like that I wouldn't call art. There's no requirement that everything one likes be "art," or everything one dislikes be "not art."

Sadly Chocky doesn't share your views.

I haven't berated anyone on this thread for not sharing my views, though it does amaze me how conservative, almost without exception, you people are.

What a bunch of boring, reactionary turnipheads you are. Jeremy, i'm disappointed in you mate.

I haven't berated anyone on this thread for not sharing my views, though it does amaze me how conservative, almost without exception, you people are.

So what were you doing when you made this comment?

Sometimes art is about absurdity and disturbance.

Valid point Sossy. That's why I love writing music genre threads here. The amount of amazing TTers who come up with fascinating stuff is inspiring. I've gone from punk to classical guitar, thank heaven - that safety pin was killing my nose.

So what were you doing when you made this comment?

I was making a point about you all being boring and reactionary, not because I feel like should defend Tracey Emin, but because all of you, with the exception of sosarx, resorted to the same knee jerking comments. Fine, if you don't like her work, but try to come up with something more original than 'my 5 year old could do that'.

Why should we. It's the truth. Of course you can pretend that you actually think her stuff is somehow of merit, but let's face it she's pretty clever, she's managed to fool a lot of people into thinking that what she does is worthy of note. Maybe you're just too afraid of saying what you actually think. I don't care what others think, what she does is in my opinion complete and utter rubbish. And she still appears to be a very unpleasant person.

Maybe you're just too afraid of saying what you actually think.

I'd have thought that you'd read enough of my posts by now to know that isn't true.

Actually I think that if this stuff was being produced by a German, and there are plenty of nutty German artists, you would be condemning it wholeheartedly. The fact that she is English clouds your vision.

And she still appears to be a very unpleasant person.

Why on earth would that make her work any less relevant? Would you say that Marlon Brando was any less of a brilliant actor because he was rude to waiters?

Actually I think that if this stuff was being produced by a German, and there are plenty of nutty German artists, you would be condemning it wholeheartedly. The fact that she is English clouds your vision.

If we were talking about German music, then probably yes because (I think) it is mostly shit, but I could tell you the hames of several German visual artists who I admire and whose work I like.

If we were talking about German music, then probably yes because (I think) it is mostly shit,

Steady on old boy, this guy is actually a Jerry!

Now this chap actually sparked off an entire genre of music, just like on my other thread!

The Gregorian Chant?

It seems to me that's been around a lot longer than whatever his name is has been alive?

If you want to talk about innovative, try this:

And now for a poser:

Can't you tell the difference?

Now Talking Heads, they were a band I respected but simply didn't "get". The wife played me Psycho Killer, but I couldn't hook into it.

There is hope. I've only just clicked into jungle/DnB now I know where it comes from - see my Amen Break thread.

Falco - Der Kommissar:

Leider ist dieses Video, das Musik von SME enthält, in Deutschland nicht verfügbar. Die GEMA hat die Verlagsrechte hieran nicht eingeräumt

Fuckers! :angry:

OK, well, sorry about the Falco link.

Anyway, I think we'd nearly all universally agree, Falco sucks the big wang, whereas The Talking Heads, while perhaps not to everybody's taste, at least were doing something that could be considered music (and therefore art).

Allers - the way around it, is to install Expat Shield to look like you are in UK, then reload it. The Toob fuzz sussed out your IP.

Anyway, I think we'd nearly all universally agree, Falco sucks the big wang, whereas The Talking Heads, while perhaps not to everybody's taste, at least were doing something that could be considered music (and therefore art).

Yep that's true.

Actually I wouldn't agree, I quite like some of his stuff. Although I like Talking Heads more.

Jeremy: It's not my PC, I'm at work. The curse of the drinking classes.