Classical guitar pieces

32 posts in this topic

Right then,

This morning, this bloke appeared on Breakfast telly. He's 28 from Montenegro (my favourite Balkan holidaying country) and is awesome! His music sounds fantastic.

I immediately ordered his CD "Mediterraneo" as a Christmas present in my stocking.

So do those out there have any favourite classical guitar pieces with accompanying Youtube recitals?

Off we go.

His music for us blokes sounds fantastic, while for the girlies they get some eye candy.

Sit back, read that outloud and reconsider what you are saying. Unless, of course, you really meant to say that only guys can appreciate good music while women only react to good looks.

Sara dear - I didn't mean that at all. It was simple light hearted banter. Jesus. I just thought it might be nice to start up a new positive thread for a change, with some silly comments in there.

Joaquín Rodrigo

Rodrigo's music counts among some of the most popular of the 20th century, particularly his Concierto de Aranjuez, considered one of the pinnacles of the Spanish music and guitar concerto repertoire.

Ah Gen - that's the Allegro - not (to my ears) the best part. The Adagio is the biggie!

I'm more of a lute girl myself. Check out Scottish player Rob MacKillop's youtube channel for lute, theorbo, and guitar.

By the way, if you're not already familiar with them, Scotland has a treasure of lute manuscripts written down in the early 17th century (known as the Balcarres, Weems, Rowallan, Skene, Straloch, etc.) Guitar and banjo (or lute! or piano! or harp!) players who want to try out some of the tunes can check out Rob's free transcriptions of 25 of them here (pdf.)

Jeremy, I have posted loads of classical guitar pieces on the "what are you listening to" thread. How come we never see you 'round there?

Ooh look, some eye candy (and huge talent) for the boys. :P

Al di Meola (on second video) was in Munich four weeks ago. If you ever have an opportunity to see him, he's amazing. Paco de Lucia is one of the best classical guitar players alive in my opinion.

Christopher Parkening

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hPpW-_ixWEk

Alex de Grassi (though he tends towards more contemporary stuff)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tL70fd_D3N8

Sit back, read that outloud and reconsider what you are saying. Unless, of course, you really meant to say that only guys can appreciate good music while women only react to good looks.

I think he meant that he finds him quite attractive and thus women will too... :D

I think he meant that he finds him quite attractive and thus women will too...

It doesn't matter any more as he has edited the remark out of the OP.

My Ma had an LP with classical guitar music in the 60s, I have to ask her who it was. Even at the tender age of 8 I really enjoyed it.