Cancelling a UMTS service by T-Mobile

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

Although I have been using this Forum for a long time but this is the first time I'm posting a new topic.

well here is my problem and I hope someone can help me in the scam Telekom played on me. I ordered a DSL service from Telekom on early April and since there was something wrong with my line it took Telekom around 4-5 months since it got connected in late July. After calling them for a number of times (well not exactly me a friend of mine who can speak German) the help line offered me a UMTS stick to use in the waiting time free of charge. They sent me the sim card and the UMTS stick a week later and I activated and used it for less than a month as soon as I got my DSL service connected. Now after a few month i was going through my bank bills and saw that they are still charging me for the UMTS service!!!

I found this contact form on their website and sent them a note that I want to cancel the contract and they replied that I have a 2 year contract with them and there is no chance of canceling the contract. What do you think i should do right now? Doesn't make sense to pay 2 years for a contract that I did not want and they offered it for a limited time free of cost.

It sounds like you agreed or signed up to the UMTS contract and maybe simply did not realise it. You get the UMTS service for up to 3 months free of charge while waiting for your DSL (but may have to pay a one-time charge for the stick). After that you have the choice of signing up to a contract, using a pre-paid service or simply stopping using it altogether. If you dispute the fact you agreed to any contract then ask them for evidence of your agreement. Bear in mind this does not necessarilly mean a signature on a piece of paper. If you "signed up" on the phone, then they will have sent you written confirmation of your contract for which you had 14 days to dispute. If you didn't dispute within this time then the contract is sealed and you are indeed stuck with it for 2 years.

In that case if I'm really stuck wit it is there any way I can cancel it in advance? I mean with a fine or something, like paying a couple of month fee at once right now and avoiding to pay the rest?

Do you have any idea if I can use the sim card on a mobile phone? If possible then I could change my SIM as start using this sim car as my main phone and stop using the current one I have especially that I don't have a contract for my mobile phone and use a prepaid service.

Good old Telekom up to their old tricks still. Sure, in some small print it says they are allowed to screw you around. And even if you didn't sign for it, they still will.

Telekom send the stick and charge 5.95€

It is free to use for one month (From date of sim activation) whilst you wait for the DSL connection..

You Must Cancell within 28 days or you are bound to a 24 monh contract.. This is clearly stated by the person on the phone when the preliminary order is placed!

Your German speaking friend must have forgotten to mention this to you...

I used to live in France and believe me if I applied for the same service here it will end me paying +100 Euros and I used to pay 19.99 for that. BTW there wasn't any time binding thing to it as well. So you basically could cancel it with a call any time.

The internet and phone system is basically a rip off here in Germany :angry:

The internet and phone system is basically a rip off here in Germany

More like: Contracts work different in Germany, most are based on yearly auto-renewals with a minimum binding time (i.e. 2 years).

This applies to many things like cable TV, gyms, phone contracts, Internet contracts, some insurances, magazine and newspaper subscriptions, etc, etc.

You live now in Germany, you have to learn how things work here.

Yeah I'm starting to get the hang of it now. Internet was the first contract I signed and probably that's why I'm stuck in such a case though this does not justify what they are doing, offering me a 2 different services which exactly match each other Well the second one they offered is worse than the one I wanted.

You were supposed to cancel the second one and you did not. Now you are blaming the company and calling them names because you failed to understand what you were supposed to do.

And both services do not match each other. One is supposed to be used at home and the other one on the go.

Why not advertise and see if you can't find another gullible sucker person to take it over for I would imagine, a large discount.

Telekom send the stick and charge 5.95€

It is free to use for one month (From date of sim activation) whilst you wait for the DSL connection..

You Must Cancell within 28 days or you are bound to a 24 monh contract.. This is clearly stated by the person on the phone when the preliminary order is placed!

Your German speaking friend must have forgotten to mention this to you...

That's a completely different thing and nothing to do with the permanent phone installation. You can get a Telekom Web n' Walk stick for a trial period of one month at half price and cancel at any time within that month (or get stuck with the full 24). Some Telekom sales people might offer it with a fixed line installation (to earn commission) but it's nothing to do with the other order.

The OP has fallen foul of the so-called "Sofortstart" package which was offered free for 3 months with new installations, but was stopped late in June of this year.

In that case if I'm really stuck wit it is there any way I can cancel it in advance? I mean with a fine or something, like paying a couple of month fee at once right now and avoiding to pay the rest?

As I said in my earlier post, you should have been offered different options, once the 3 months expired, including cancelling or signing up to a pre-paid (non-contract) surf option. At the very least you should ask them for evidence of of your contract, although it seem likely you probably unknowingly agreed to a contract on the phone which they subsequently confirmed in writing but you didn't recognise, or ignored.

You can "cancel" immediately in writing (recommended) but the contract will still run its full term. Cancelling now at least prevents an unexpected extension for a further year if you forget to cancel later.

This is not a scam, nor is it sharp practice. It's a perfectly legal method (albeit one you may not be familiar with) of binding customers to a service, which in theory at least leads to cheaper prices in the market as the suppliers have less customer churn.

The result being the customer is paying for something they do not want and are unhappy about it. Coupled with the fact that the customer didn't want it in the first place. It was only because Telekom couldn't supply the DSL within a sensible timeframe.

Call it what ever you want but I see it as a legal scam, trick, rip off.

They know you don't want something but they trick you into it.

If you didn't want it why did you activate it?

You were (almost certainly) sent the agreement that you were signing up to where the commitment was clear, and as a phone/internet agreement you had 14 days to retract from it without having to give a reason, so even if you activated it and then decided it was not necessary you could send it back without hassle. This all happened in July - you also had 6 months to argue your case.

Good old Telekom up to their old tricks still.

The internet and phone system is basically a rip off here in Germany

This is a world-wide thing. Not a Germany or Telekom thing. Many service companies have resorted to this tactic.

You can have this situation via Internet (website or email) / Post (snail mail) / Telephone (voice) / In-person and it is legal (in most countries).

The sales person's script includes wording that states you "agree to sign up for" a specific term / duration on a binding legal contract AND you have to state "NO, I do Not agree to..." (or you have).

Many times the "script" wording starts out as; "can I tell you about this new offer, we have....?" and goes on from there.

The consumer laws have not caught up with the newest of corporate lawyers / sales and marketing tactics.

It is the 2011 / 2012 version of the preverbal "snake oil salesman". They are just using more technology to get to you (and your money).