Oven is broken - need help with fixing it

20 posts in this topic

Yet more AEG problems... We have a built in oven that is now well outside its guarantee. As you can see from the picture a really minor but highly irritating problem has developed - the mounting for one of the things on the side walls that hold the cooking platforms has broken off. Of course because it's a built in oven I can't just screw it back in without taking the oven out of its position and I'm hesitant to take the oven out of its home because I'm pretty sure that even then I wont have access to the other side of this bolt without taking the oven apart.

post-4088-13236924425813.jpg

Can anyone provide a more accurate description of this problem in German so I have any chance of explaining the problem to the AEG customer support & the kitchen shop? I'm at a loss even in English to think what these things are called, or how to concisely describe the problem.

Also, assuming AEG want to charge a fortune for sending someone out, does anyone have a cunning suggestion for repairing this, preferably without dismantling the oven? I saw once a nut & bolt set where the nut was equipped with some sort of spring loaded cap that could be pushed through something like this and it could then be tightened in place. Any idea what they're called and where to find them?

Thanks in advance.

Toggle Flügel-Anker mit Schraube -- toggle wing anchor. That's what occurs to me, no idea if it'd really fix your problem.

https://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&q=fl%C3%BCgelanker&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=RfTlTp3SF4rBswaasd24CQ&biw=1599&bih=804&sei=VPTlTtjMJdHltQaI-cDFCQ

Ah, that's the one! Thanks Gen. It's kind of a last resort fix as I'd have to drill the hole out a bit to get the wing anchor thing through, but then I guess it would work. Apart from getting hot there's not much stress on the nut so it should hold OK. Still I think I'd prefer a less invasive fix if I can find one.

As soon as I've figured out how to describe the problem I'll call AEG.

No idea but if the next photo competition is broken objects around the house I think you've got a fair shout!

It's probably not what you want to hear, but I suspect that's a really simple thing to fix. Before I called a repairman (expect a minimum of a 75 EUR callout fee, regardless of what he does !!!), I'd definitely have a look to see if I could fix it myself.

Thanks Gents, but quite the opposite I'm hoping and pretty sure it's simple to fix. I've seen how to get the oven out of its home (remove two screws) now I'm wondering how much of it I'll have to take apart to get at the place where I can replace the broken nut and re-unite a stronger one with the screw. And while I'm at it I'll replace the other side too (yes, I'm becoming German ;))

On the vocabulary front it's an Einschubgitter that I can't fix in any more because the Schraube hinten rechts ist lose, die Mutter ist nicht mehr da. At least that's the limit of my German...

a nasty fix would be to get rid of the nut and get a small 90 degree angle bracket drill 2 holes inside to hold it and 2 self tapping screws (those ones used on cars and stuff ) and then bolt the angle bracket to the tray holder (or just fix it under the thing) not sure how much the heat will affect the screws but a last resort thing that I would try

Okay, so HellesAngel has a screw loose - not really a problem though!

Seriously, take the thing out - you might like to get another strong pair of hands to help you with this, but take it out and have a good look to see if you can´t simply fix the whole thing back how it should be.

I know it all looks terribly worrying before you actually remove it from where it sits right now, but just get on and do it - we had to remove ours in a hurry once as we had an electrical fire behind it(!)

Never seen an oven move so quickly in all my life, I haven´t!

On the topic of broken ovens...

I have a Miele built-in oven which fails to seal when the door is closed. This unit allows the door to be easily removed for cleaning which I have done as well as the gummy band, but after re-installing the door it still will not not seal properly. I have looked all around on the unit but cannot find anywhere to make adjustments. The installation manual does not mention anything and I cannot find any fixes on the Internet.

Because the door does not seal, nothing cooks right because the temperature is wrong so I have resorted to leaning a barstool with a crate of beer on it to prop the oven door shut. Inelegant, i know but it works :-/

I'm grateful for any tips or suggestion!

HellesAngel doesn't need new nuts.

He probably just needs to find the one that was never properly screwed on.

The part you named (Einschubgitter oder Einschubrost) is the horzontal grill, but that has no threaded rod.

In English I would call those 'nuts for the horizontal grill support brackets' and in German I'd try 'befestigungs Mutter zum horzontal montiert Einschubsgitter Behalterung.' However I doubt that replacement parts are in fact needed.

Apart from being a motor mechanic by trade in a past life I recycled 60K+ ex-US forces ranges/ovens of all makes and sizes. Based on XXXnumber of (pre-internet) learning-by-doing repairs I'd go about it thusly:

• find the Typnummerschild
  • punch "the number+diagram" in to google images
  • examine the exploded picture to determine method of removing/replacing outer shell
  • disable fuse to oven
  • slide out until you can unclip wiring plugs(2)
  • slide out on to pre-prepared support blocks/drawer/whatsit (avoids lifting)
  • remove shell whilst wearing sturdy gloves (sharp edges +risk of irritating insulation)
  • find nut amongst the insulation
  • replace tightly
  • refit shell
  • reinstall oven
  • reset fuse
  • get out of the cook's way
  • enjoy dinner

HTH

2B

EDIT: @ efehrenbach,

that's a very common situation. The flat metal parts of the door hinges that slot in to the oven body are not correctly seated in their fitting slots (which allow this to occur by design. I forget the actual reason for this design, but for today I'm making up a need for fitters to insert temp measurement sensor). Just remove the door and offer it back up in to the slots. Getting the right angle of the door v hinge is the trick. Trial and error is the way2go.

I have a Bauneckt stove and the oven door spring was broken and so when my husband opened the door of the oven the door fell to the floor and shattered.

It's costing us 357 Euros to get just the door replaced.

I'm seriously thinking about asking the landlord to pay for the door as it's her oven that was broken.

reminds me of a joke:

What do you do if your cooker stops working? Give her a slap on the ass and tell her to get back to work.

Happy Monday.

Thanks ladies & gents, your tips and jokes about wonky nuts and loose screwing are much appreciated. I've dismantled most household appliances, and many before my sixth birthday when I got hold of my Dad's toolbox for the first time, but the trouble with many of these new fangled devices is they're either spot welded or crimped together, or use weird screws that require a special screwdriver to open.

In other words the manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure you can't fix them yourself, very few make it easy and release the service manual into the public domain and AEG are here no exception. They do not generally and will not in my case send the service manual for the oven and I already Googled the service manual & exploded diagram but no avail for the exact model I have but some similar ones seem to show they're fairly easy to dismantle - maybe I'll give it a crack if I can't get the Einziehmutter to work.

that's a very common situation. The flat metal parts of the door hinges that slot in to the oven body are not correctly seated in their fitting slots (which allow this to occur by design. I forget the actual reason for this design, but for today I'm making up a need for fitters to insert temp measurement sensor). Just remove the door and offer it back up in to the slots. Getting the right angle of the door v hinge is the trick. Trial and error is the way2go.

Thanks very much for the tip!

Having researched further and with the assistance of our neighborhood "Allewisser" I have been advised that the problem lies in damaged hinges " kaputt Scharnieren" left and right which would need to be replaced at €32 plus versand cost ea.

My cost-effective low-tech solution for the moment is just to tape the door shut using electric tape.

post-20755-13237091286141.jpg

Some years ago my wife broke the glass door on our oven by dropping a heavy dish on it.

She searched on the Internet, found the part number, ordered it online & fitted it after delivery.

She's a Dipl. Eng (IT so apart from the Googling that doesn't help much).

I know this post dates back to 2011 but there's a weird thing we're experiencing with our electric oven right now. I appreciate any answer, we're somehow frustrated at this moment.

Our rented flat came along with a fitted-kitchen (seven families lived here before us, the landlord said!): fridge, electric oven and a half-broken stove (we have a replacement under our bed, ready to be installed... someday). However, the oven seems a little faulty from time to time. It emits really bad smoke every time we set it at 180 C on the ''heating fan'' or ''fan and two resistances'' options. Any other option works just fine. I cleaned it thoroughly and waited to completely dry then tried running it empty. 

We've been living here for 8 months but had no problem until May this year. It appeared out of a sudden and it's giving us the chills (sitting next to it when cooking long-time stuff isn't as exciting as it seems in movies).

What should we do now?

First, talk to the landlord about the problem.

Then you could talk to someone at the Mieterverein if you get no joy with landlord.  ( You have joined the Mieterverein?!)