Moving to Germany and leaving the US behind

174 posts in this topic

I see many problems. Leaving aside the subject that you are leaving something you no longer want rather than going somewhere you want to be and the rather "rant-like" quality to your posts. The fact is your skill (accountancy) is not valued as it would be in an English speaking country. You will need to apply to International firms - limiting your possibilities of getting a job. They will naturally go for the accountant who can already speak German and there are a lot of them already. It is quite normal in the British Isles to get a degree and study accountancy afterwards.

I would also not claim to be German - that is fine in America but in Europe we politely nod but do not really know what to say. You do not speak the language, I have the feeling you will be as surprised by Germany, German culture/customs and the Germans as the rest of us were when we arrived, even more so because you feel this is "your country". Has your family kept up German traditions they brought with them over the last century? Do you know from where in Germany your family emigrated? Also Germany is not even geographically the same country - the reason that World War II started was that Germany wanted to reclaim the area that was lost after the First World War.

one other thing we forgot ..before you fill your car with "gas" you need to work out if you will still have enough money to feed your family for the rest of the week

Read Post 157 on this thread. Obviously, he's clueless about Germany.

Indeed. teddy doesn't like illegal immigrants. They're such a bane of his existence, he feels he must impose himself on another country, in which he has no right to live, to escape the problem in his own country.

On that thread, he states that it's better to live in Munich, where he thinks there are fewer illegal immigrants than in Berlin (!). I don't know what town/city he inhabits in the US, but surely if he wants to escape the illegal immigrants, he could merely move to a different part of the US where he perceives the problem is non-existent.

Or perhaps he just wants to get away from his fellow countrymen and doesn't believe he will encounter Americans in Munich. Hard to tell.

There are some new vacancies in the right wing extremist movements here that might suit him.

Wow! this post got wayyyy more attention than I ever expected it to get. I've learned a few things about some of the people on here. So far your very judgemental, especially since no one in this thread has any idea who I am. Talking bad about my country??? Bad attitude??? Why because I want whats best for my country???? I don't like the fact that the Mexicans from the south crawl under holes and fences to get into our country, AND WE ALLOW IT. Look I get that they want a better life, but at who's expense??? American tax payers. Then to make things worse, they are payed under the table, they live 20 in a house, and then they send what they make back home to Mexico to their real families. Not to mention the most difficult portion to take; they use my dead grandparents social security numbers to become irrelevant. (Before I go any further, I didn't say my spelling and grammar was good, just speaking and understanding english terminology. goofy people) So now what, my BS in Business Mgmt/Accounting is no good anymore??? Get over yourselves people! I don't plan on stopping there. Besides, I don't hardly was my car anyways, and especially on Sunday. I'm continueing my education and taking a Masters program in Statistical Research. I'd like to see one of you BASH that approach to the future. lol A STATISTITION! lol

ian, I'm a democrat at heart, that reaches far right for some beliefs. I guess that explains my "Great Wall of Texas" Idea. Talk about freeing up jobs, and creating them at the same time.

I see Germany has to possibly bail out Europe. I take pride in my nationality (German), I truly expected a more embraceful group of Germans to tell you the truth. Wow was I wrong! Can someone please clean up all that graffiti I see all over the place I see on google earth! Show some respect for where you come from.

After reading more posts on here I feel you all seem to have a bigger problem with Germany than I do with America??? Enough money to eat!??? What you can't wash your car on Sunday's???? BOOO HOOOOOO! That's God's day anyway. I'm assuming that is the main reason why you couldn't wash your car on Sunday. People, don't lose your convictions on life, and why Germany is such a great Country to begin with. That is exactly why I want to move there. At least you have some kind of control over your situations. America is having issues with that. I'm an expat. An expat that is returning to the country of my people. Besides, I'm the minority here now anyway, and the victim. I won't ask you to understand. I would expect more love from German people to welcome me home. Unless of course none of you people are, and your just illegals living in Germany.

No one wants you here. Another welfare-freeloader, since your chanches for a job that pays your life is zero and your mentality is what will make people shut the door asap.

BTW , I'm German

Teddy: you can´t expect more love from German people to welcome you home. First of all, the readers on this forum aren´t German ( 99%, anyway ). Secondly, you´re NOT German.

Thirdly: you´re not a victim - unless you want to be. Victim thinking is for losers. Are you a loser? No? Then please start again on this forum.

Welcome to Toytown! By the way, if Mexican guys are using your dead grandparents´ social security numbers to cheat the system, ok, you have my sympathy there.

Calm down!

John Q, Your right. I take back everything I ever said on here, and YES, Iam German, 100%. As for my job search, you may think my attitude sucks, but my ideas will take your business higher. But nevermind that now, this post obviously is not a job application.

Modernbird,

thank you. Sincerely. I'm trying that approach. Finding a job here with someone like Siemens etc. Than a transfer. Your right its a good approach. Although, I really hope my vaca in June erases some of this negativity on here. I'm scared now that what I hoped of Germany is COMPLETELY wrong, and everything just sucks over there! lol

Good for you sip. But I encorage you to look up the stats of your poor fellow mexican decent. I bet the illegal immigration rate for Mexicans is about 50 to 1 over any other. Educate yourself please. I have to go to work. Peace out. Please people, vote my on my reputation. lol I want to see if I can become the most negative person on here.!??? wow, really

No worries, he won't even make it over in the first place except for a cushy vacation.

@teddyrukk - you're not German, you're 100% American.

YES, Iam German, 100%.

my ancestors traited my native land of Germany just a short Century ago! I want to come home!

Just a short 10 millennia ago, my ancestors lived in caves.

If you are not a German citizen with a German passport (or the ability to obtain one through at least one parent being a German citizen), then you are not German. Period.

By all means come to Germany and take a look but keep in mind that being somewhere on vacation is completely different to living there. I am sure I could vacation in your city for a week or two without seeing any of the problems you mention.

As for the difference between the US and here, you pay higher taxes here but there is more social security. You have more rights as a tenant, harder to evict but also harder to get into an apartment unless you have a job contract already. You have more rights as an employee, harder to fire but that also means it is harder to get hired except for temporary contracts or manpower agencies. There are areas here with high unemployment and others that are doing better just like everywhere else.

Germans aren't very religious, not in my area anyway but for some strange reason they still keep Sundays as quiet days. The stores are closed and you are not allowed to be noisy like mow your lawn or the like.

As for your plan of actually moving here, you can say you are German until you are blue in the face but unless you have a German passport, it will not help. Like any other American in Germany or German in the US, you will need a work permit.

With German parents and grandparents, he could easily have dual citizenship. Not that it will help him much (to get work) if he can't speak and write German. Plus, culturally, he appears to be pretty darn American.

culturally, he appears to be pretty darn American.

Really?

my ancestors traited my native land of Germany just a short Century ago!

Sadly, the "who's" instead of "whose" is depressingly common, but no American will confuse "traited" with "betrayed." Troll.

Doesn't speak German and has poor written English skills. I doubt that his spoken English is much better. Given to angry outbursts.

He doesn't sound like a good prospective employee to me, whether in the US or in Germany.