12 utterly depressing facts about popular music

225 posts in this topic

Ernie and Chirpy cheep cheep. What can I say on those examples other than I was protected by a selective musical amnesia on some of those. Who can explain it? My family owned a record shop in Australia during the 80's when "Little Bop Girl" made number one. We had thirty copies of the cursed song which were forced on us by the record company and we didn't manage to sell one single copy. I can't explain Ernie other than to say people were amused by it. I know when we had the shop, the record companies sent us packaged selections which we had to take and they were recorded as sold as far as the charts were concerned. We could return them later and swap them for records that we actually wanted to order. That was the only explanation for some of those number one hits that stuck on our shelves like the proverbial s--- to a blanket.

I like some of the old stuff but the modern music is far superior and doesn’t depress me the least (except maybe Shania Twain's music). I think because of iTunes where one can buy just the tracks/song you want has contributed to the quality. Also quite apart from the fact that they belong to a bygone era, Led Zeppelin don’t lend themselves to modern day Viral Media very well. Maybe if they dressed up like Lady Gaga and washed more often?

Lady Gaga on Graham Norton show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTru8BfhxXo

Apparently if you identify yourself as a music lover there are certain "cool" musicians that you must like and certain "uncool" musicians that you must hate. Whether they're any good as musicians is often beside the point.

For the most part the deciding factor appears to be that the right people think it's cool.

Just accept that you've grown old!

Weren't your parents/grandparents complaining that Led Zep was no Elvis? Or Elvis was no Gilbert and Sullivan? Or Gilbert and Sullivan were no Mozart? In the words of one of my favourite bands "you gotta roll with it"!

I am prepared to concede to the first part of that, but in your second line you seem to be saying that the shite that populates the charts these days is as controversial, fresh, or innovative as Elvis or Led Zeppelin, it's not, it is just empty noise.

It's either Grandpa talk - hanging out the window and watching out for traffic violaters

or

Teenager talk about pop music and the bad taste of those who don't listen to the same as me.

That was aimed at me I take it? No one has been hanging out of windows watching traffic violations, believe me :lol:

Apparently if you identify yourself as a music lover there are certain musicians that you must like and certain uncool musicians that you must hate. Whether they're any good as musicians is often beside the point.

Two words; common consensus.

Chocky, you certainly know this. BoC, for example, won't make any lists as far as money or fame go.

Absolutely bohemka, seeing as the majority of the people lining Rihanna and her record labels coffers are clueless teenagers I shouldn't be getting so worked up about this.

(Thanks for the PM by the way.)

Well, I know there seem to be a lot of dudes on here knocking pop music. I will not attest to being some kind of musical genius - I am most certainly not, but when I am dancing in Tekyön Club in Istanbul within a throng of drop dead gorgeous and shirtless Turkish men all gyrating to Britney Spears, I can honestly say that Led Zeppelin is the last thing I'd like to hear at that particular moment in time.

There you have it. It's nightclubs that have ruined music. Why people want to listen to the same stuff in a nightclub and on the radio is beyond me.

There you have it. It's nightclubs that have ruined music. Why people want to listen to the same stuff in a nightclub and on the radio is beyond me.

And why do people who play their car stereos at top volume until making my and their ear drums bleed always seem to be listening to the shittiest, most monotonous tracks around?

Popular music has always been some degree of bad. It's gotten a lot worse in the US because of companies like Clear Channel that control the way people hear music and see live acts. For me, the only people complaining are the people too lazy to seek out good music. The internet is a great way to find all kinds of obscure music that will never have mass appeal. My favorite albums of 2011 come from all over the globe, recorded by bands playing music that appeals to a niche audience. With the help of the internet real artists can find their audience and be free to play whatever they want. With a decent home computer bands can record their own albums for very cheap, as opposed to the old system of paying a fortune for studio time. Bands can book tours, design album artwork, sell albums, order and sell merchandise, etc. ALL with the power of the internet and home computing. This means that artists don't have to compromise in order to get a label or manager to help them. Virtually any genre you could be interested in has a large, growing underground scene. It's out there, you just need to look. This isn't an era of despair, it's an exciting time for music.

I listen to a lot of weird stuff, everything from genres like grindcore and power violence to experimental jazz, doom/sludge, hip hop... For every genre there are websites and message boards with people informing each other about what is new and what is happening. It doesn't take a lot of work to tune out the pop. Turn off the radio, get on the internet and use google.com.

We have outlets like iTunes to thank for the influx of really piss poor, manufactured, "music". Who needs real talent when all someone needs is a semi decent voice and a couple of songs that will sell several million downloads? Who needs longevity when there's no shortage of leeches lurking at the swamp's edge?

Rhianna is an atrocity.

It seems at least half of modern pop/rap/hip hop/whatever the hell other genres exist in the charts, is made with auto-tune set to ridiculous; because most of them can't actually sing.

I refuse to listen to the radio, my generation's (and even more so the younger generation's)taste in music embarrasses me. :/

All this pop music sounds the same these days, same crying hot chick that cant sing or write her own music gets with a record compmany, they bring Dr Dre or some other big name to do a few songs with them and they are a star. Im so sick of the crap they play on the radio these days.

At least when the Beatles / Michael Jackson (kings of pop IMO) was playing it was different from most other things that were out, you will still hear their songs played around the world (adverts, radio, movies...)

If you want good music play some Rock! it dont matter what kind, everyone will know a few words of the song. (Kiss, ACDC, Rolling Stones) everyone knows these bands. My fav. band "Dream Theater" has been around for 20+ years and still producing albums.

IMO modern day pop SUCKS. look at the spice girls they were so popular, even had a movie. And now where are they?

The main difference probably is, that the 1960's and 1970's produced so many so-called super groups which had major album hits (sometimes) over the course of several decades and which had a major impact on the whole industry. Today it seems, most stuff is for easy consumption - download, listen and throw away. Even the independent music often sounds like the umpteenth copy of some band or style from the sixties and seventies. Slightly more modern, but the essential style hasn't changed. I'm still waiting for the next Beatles, Pink Floyd or Rolling Stones, but all I see is a vast desert of Rap and Hip-Hop.

PS: Dammit, I sound like my parents... ;)

I think Led Zep and many of their contemporaries at the time were a higher class of musician that we just don't see today.

I agree if you only look at the big business crap they grind out for the MTV generation. but as foreignvader stated a couple posts earlier, there's a massive amount of incredibly talented musicians who are out there doing their thing. Have a listen through here. These bands are all allowing their fans to record their live shows and freely distribute (as long as they don't sell) the files. No big record companies, no douche bag producers trying to come up with the next "whosgotamericanxfactortalent" formula to turn some quick profit. Just musicians making music that moves them and hopefully someone else in the process.

I hate the crap that Chocky is talking about as well but, I also find it very easy to ignore. The internet has made it all too easy to find a wealth of real talent out there.

If this forum had been around when Led Zeppelin were around then don't you think our parents would have been posting on here saying Led Zeppelin are shite and manafactured.

Every era seems to have an act that comes along and breaks the mold,Zeppelin,Beatles,Stones,Elvis,Pistols etc and we're just waiting for this eras mould breaker to come along.

We just need to pray it comes along soon because what is in at the moment is absolute shite.

Sad no one has yet mentioned U2 being shite despite being considered one of this eras great bands :angry:

U2 are shite because middle aged rich men are about as edgy and rock and roll as Donald Trump. Also... the Pistols shouldn't be included in that list of legends you posted. They were the corporate rip-off version of better American bands.

Depressing? Not really. Discussions like this are ridiculous, because you always have those music snobs who claim to know what "good music" is, as if it is somehow a fact and not subjective. You also have people who act as if (what they deem as) "cheesy, pop music" only exists currently, when in reality it has been around and been popular just as long as the "good music" that they love. I will never understand why people get their panties in a bunch about certain kinds of music. If you do not like it, you do not have to listen to it. If it charts then apparently someone likes it. Does that make it good? To you, no. To the people buying it, yes.

I, personally, like Rihanna's music and have some of her CDs. I also like Led Zeppelin. Is Rihanna a great singer? Not in my opinion, but I enjoy the beats of her songs. I don't always listen to a song for the deep message, or to hear the instruments that the singer may or may not be playing. Sometimes I just want a good beat to jam to. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

The thing I love about music lately is, as someone else previously said, music is much more easily accessible. You can easily find tons of music to appease your tastes if you simply look for it.

Katrina, here's a recommendation for you, if you need your pop fix.

Now, to show you how subjective music tastes are...I think this song is complete shit, but apparently Chocky enjoys it. Just listen to what you like and quit fretting over what kind of music others like.