Ratings or reviews of Munich schools

20 posts in this topic

We are looking at possible areas to move to in Munich and the decisive criterion to knock neighborhood contenders out is Grundschule and Hort quality. Can anyone point me at a ratings or listing? I understand that I can enter individual addresses into a search engine to find out which catchment area they are in, but that's exhausting (it runs by address, not even PZL) and then I am stuck with a name, and in many cases not even a web site. Happy to look at reviews/comments/parents discussions in either German or English.

Thanks!

Well, according to Der Spiegel just getting out of Brandenburg is going to be the most important step for improving your kids' education. Who knew?

I'm not aware of a public school ranking in Munich. I'm relatively happy with our Wilhelmschule/Rumfordschlössl combination. It gives me all the afternoon time I need and the kids' have access a lot of green space in the English Garden. Faranelli school is an all day school here in the neighborhood as well. The school has obvious advantages but the program is still going through growing pains.

Public schools here are traditional, frontal, disciplined and fond of memorization. They're making progress on the integration/language support front but schools in areas with high levels of non-German speakers suffer from a learning situation that is complicated by language short comings.

Yeah. Not helpful in allowing me to narrow the choice of neighborhoods to look for a new apt/row house in. Just finding houses and looking at their schools is an exhausting bass ackwards way of doing things- I want to find 5-6 good schools and then concentrate on looking in their catchment areas. I need to do that by name, since search doesn't even work by PZL.

Also, Berlin/ Brandenburg= not the same. You are aware that Berlin is a state and that it is not Brandenburg, right?

I find all German schools deficient in certain areas- with pedagogical methods disproved in the 50s (really, teaching math in the horizontal? Rote memorization?). But at the end, it is what it is.

When we moved here early this year I also was looking for some guidance about where to live in light of public schools. Unfortunately, it is not very easy to find such info. I don't know of any ratings/reviews. I still have no clue, really. What we did was search/read through various threads (here on Toytown) regarding public schools, neighborhoods, etc., and just gleaned what we could. We wound up in a nice neighborhood and the public school seems fine. Good luck!

Thanks, defg.

Neuhausen is on our list as well:-). It's just mad that there is no way than a specific address to discover what the local school is:-(. It seems to vary street by street and the schools are tremendously variable in quality. So each time we see a house on immoscout without a specific address, we can't tell which of the multiple local schools is the correct one.

Gail, we were trying to get this info last year as well, before we moved apartments. There wasn't a source/list/rankings anywhere that we could find. We ended up meeting with a gentleman (whose name and title escapes me, but the office has been mentioned here before) that focuses on advising immigrants on education. We told him we wanted to live somewhere where we would have the ability to have a small garden/patio with high-quality schools. He indicated there were two things to look at for schools: 1. the administration at the particular school. They are going to set the tone for how the school is run and 2. the other families in the neighborhood. If you are looking for similar-minded folks, that will be important. He indicated that finding green space in a school zone with highly educated folks (assuming this means these folks would also value a good education for their kids, which may-or-may-not be true) would be most likely found in Bogenhausen or Neuhausen/Nymphenberg/Gern. He said if private green space was less important, parts of Schwabing were also very good, but he would "stay within the ring", in general.

I am not posting this to offend anyone regarding their particular neighborhood, just sharing the conversation we had. Hope it helps a little!

Emily

PS -- if you are not moving until the spring, maybe you can come down when they have the school open-houses in Jan/Feb and meet some of the administrators to find out if you "mesh" with any of them?

PPS -- another thing to consider is after-school programs. I have heard that in our area, the Maria-Ward only has mittags betreung (sp)? The Suddlich Auffahrtsallee has after school programs and the Dom Pedro is so oversubscribed for after-school programs that even single-parents are having a hard time getting a spot. If you don't have after school programs, it will be tough to work, or even take an integrations course as the kids get out before 1pm. The immigrant consultant may be able to help with this info too.

As with any city - where the property prices/rents are higher is indicative of residents in the upper income brackets and thus, better schooling due to the socio-economic background of the pupils. Whether families move to that particular area due to the school's reputation, or the school's standards are higher due to the children who attend, I don't know. But both factors are inter-related.

Thanks, emikseattle!

Hams, I could live in lots of high rent areas with crap schools in Berlin, because the (rich/expense account) folks there don't have kids. I know all the names of the areas. Clearly, the criterion (for me) is not "wealthy", because then I would just send my children to private school after buying a million+ euro place.

That's why I was looking for a rating mechanism. I'm now relatively clear that there is not one and my spouse has a meeting with an official who handles regional nachhilfe in January: we hope that he can give us specific guidance on specific schools, so that we can look for housing in specific catchment areas, rather than in 5-6 completely separate areas. It's hard enough in the non-transparent, highly loaded market that is Germany (with Munich being the hardest) that we need to focus.

That's Berlin, this is Munich. And you seemed to have missed my point completely.

Get a relocation agent to assist you, or is that also not in your criteria? :rolleyes:

People who are trying to assist, you seem to relish patronising. Good luck with your search, with your attitude, you'll need it.

You can get a LOT of information about schools in a particular area (search by PLZ) and their different specialities and offerings from the Bayerisches Staatsministerium. From there you can often visit a school website which goes some way to giving you a feel about the school management, culture and student mix. Many schools offer their parental newsletters online which gives a deeper insight into day-to-day life, their student mix and issues that are having to be addressed.

Sorry, Gail, but hams is right.

The richer the neighbourhood, the more support the kids will have at home, the less problems the teachers will have in class, the more relaxed and pleasant the teachers and the atmosphere in the school will be.

All schools get the same funding, the teachers have the same salary, so it really comes down to how stressed a teacher is, that's the only variable.

But this means you will have to provide that support at home, doing exercises and Diktate with your girls and helping them with their homework. Munich is different from Berlin, with you being home, getting two places in a Hort is an unlikely event. There are few spaces and Alleinerziehende have priority.

I'm a bit puzzled how an "official" can be in charge of "Nachhilfe". These terms are a contradiction, Nachhilfe is part of the private sector, an official is part of the state sector.

Fair enough, if you can't give the expected and necessary schooling support at home, you will have to hire someone in the private sector to do it, that's Nachhilfe.

I'm just pondering whether someone who lives off doing this is the right person to ask about the quality of schools - it wouldn't exactly be in their self-interest to give you a truthful answer.

Just 38% (taken from table in this source) of the pupils in Bavaria get the Empfehlung for the Gymnasium (20 years ago it was 20%) and unlike in Berlin, you as the parent cannot overrule the teacher's decision, your kids have to have an average of at least 2.33, no discussion.

I suggest you also consult the site of the Schulberatung München and maybe have a meeting with one of their officials (yes, this is a trustworthy state institution). You'll find that they have placed themselves in one of the richer desirable areas, Schwabing.

I wonder why...

Thanks, PandaMunich, I'll pass that on to the spouse: he already called the schoolamt and was told that they had no official ratings. But I'll pass on that in a meeting he may get better answers. It's just that there are so many schools and so many nice looking neighborhoods!

I'm not looking to know where my kids should go based on their achievement (they are quite small)- I'm looking to find what schools are good before we scatter our attention over a wide area while looking for the type of dwelling we would enjoy. It's tricky because you put in ,say Bogenhausen, and then wind up in Denning (not looking- that could be wrong- but you get the point). And because when I put in a given PZL, I wind up with 7 different schools. 4 of which look good and three of which look even more antiquated than some here. A co-worker's relative runs a business supplying nach hilfe throughout the city (and I assure you, even children of the German use it) and we will look for guidance from this person as to which are the better schools.

It would be fine to look at 2-3 schools- what I am trying to cut out is looking at 27 schools.

I have in-laws in the Bavarian school system (teachers)- I am well aware of how it works. But they don't live in Munich to tell me- ah, great neighborhood- avoid that school.

And 4/10 of students being university bound is higher than in the US. I'm also well aware of the discrimination shown against children of migration background parents. Luckily, I'm a favored (Anglophone) minority.

Will this jet lag ever go away?

YL6- thanks, you are absolutely right- that's what we have been doing. It's just finding which school is attached to which neighborhood without specific (not given) addresses can lead one to fall in love and then discover the address is 4 numbers away from the catchment area. I thought it migt be easier to just advertise for a place within certain catchment zones. Or to be able to cut areas out completely without wasting time: there are a tremendous number of primary schools in Munich, even in the areas that we want to stay within due to commuting distance. And the ads don't tell you (unlike in the US) what school zone one is in and there is no way to filter by it!

You can try VERgleichsArbeiten (VERA) as I remember. I read it long time ago and just forget the website address. In the website you will find the evaluation and classification of schools in different areas.

I just found a note taken 03 years ago about the school classification (per post code): 81675, 80469, 81675,81476, 81669, 81377, 80638, 81827, 80331, 81241, 81929. Those are good ones, some are good at mathematic, others at other subjects.

We are looking to buy a home and I would like to know if the school local to us is any good or if we should be thinking of buying a home in another area.

K Thx

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Talk to your prospective neighbors, specifically ones that currently have kids attending school. There are no league tables as in the UK. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the quality of a Bavarian Gymnasium.