Learning German in Stuttgart

10 posts in this topic

I need some help finding a Sprachschule in Stuttgart. I already speak German fairly well, but would like to become fluent. I have a B.A. in German and have been over here for over 7 years. I'm also married to a German and have a son with her. I can get along in almost every situation I encounter without too much circumlocution, but I would really like to get to native speaker level if possible. It really pisses me off that my wife speaks better English than I do German, however that is not the real reason. I just know that in a professional sense as well as just getting more into the culture and helping my son grow up (speaking to teachers, etc.) I need to get much better.

Well, that was probably more than anyone really wanted to know, but what recommendations are there for langauge schools in Stuttgart um mein Deutsch zu verbessern?

Deutschkolleg at Stuttgart University. It is one of the best for the price. The classes are 6 weeks long. In my experience they are more focused on learning German. I have had a couple Of bad experiences with other language schools. I took classes here from b1 to c1 and next month I am taking a class there for the testdaf test. You can loom into it online www.deutschkolleg-Stuttgart.de or you can call Hilda Hund she can answer your questions 071166706818. Hope it helps.

I am now attending classes in Berlitz bei Stuttgart HBF. They are just too focused on speaking and not at all on grammar or proper use of the language. I'll probably switch to an another school after the new years... My company pays for my language expenses so please suggest if there are any good schools that I can attend after work or good private tutors you know.

Has anyone had any experience with private german lessons with either Berlitz or any other language school in Stuttgart? Can anyone recommend a german tutor for one on one lessons? 

Berlitz is AWFUL. I've been a teacher for many years and never heard a kind word from another teacher. I also unfortunately taught there for one year. They pay shit and force you to use their proprietary materials which focus on you being able to do practical things, but not a focused approached on learning the whole language from the ground up. It's good for tourism or if you're sent here for a job that's in English and you just need some every day simple German. It's awful for really trying to learn.

That being said, I'm int he same situation as the OP. Would also be interested in a group to practice. Everyday stuff is no problem. I can read the news, political news/anaylsis etc. But actively using it to debate or discuss complicated topics not so much.

Thanks for the feedback! I need to learn german since now I am raising a baby here, a tutor is the best option for me. Flexible times to work around the daycare schedule. If anyone knows of  a good tutor let me know. Doesn't have to be associated with a school, as long as they are good. 

So while you are trying to find a tutor, do this: watch German netflix. Watch tons of tv in German only. Change your computer's language to German, change your phone to German etc. Exposure and repitition are half the battle.