An Evening with Sarah McQuaid

2 posts in this topic

Sarah McQuaid

post-5920-13225702450112.jpg

Sarah McQuaid

Irish Folk Club Munich

The Irish Folk Club Munich is delighted to announce a concert featuring acclaimed singer/guitarist Sarah McQuaid on Monday. 19. March 2012 at 20:00 Hrs.

Singers take note – Sarah is seeking fellow vocalists to join her in singing a six-part round she’s written.

Entitled ‘In Gratitude I Sing’, the canon carries an uplifting message and features on Sarah’s third album, which is currently in the mixing stage and should be out in 2011.

Its debut performance was on the date of its composition, at a village hall gig in March 2009, when members of fellowCornwall-based band Dalla bravely agreed to essay the song with just five minutes of rehearsal time before the show.

“Up to that point I’d only heard the different parts together inside my own head, having just written it that morning,” Sarah explains, “so I was terrified that they’d turn out to clash! I also wasn’t a hundred percent sure that the key would be okay for both male and female voices.

“But actually they sounded even better together than I could have imagined, even with only five of the six parts – one man and four women including myself – and the range was fine for everybody, thank goodness.”

Eager to share the song with more audiences, Sarah is calling on any singers who plan to attend her concerts to join her onstage for ‘In Gratitude I Sing’. The sheet music is available for download from Sarah's homepage, www.sarahmcquaid.com, as is a MIDI recording of the melody.

Madrid-born Sarah McQuaid was raised in Chicago, studied philosophy in Strasbourg and spent many years in Ireland before pitching up in Penzance, Cornwall, in 2007. Drawing on the traditions of Ireland, America and the UK, her music is sublime and compelling, characterised by warm, velvety vocals and a distinctive acoustic guitar style.

Whereas her acclaimed debut album album When Two Lovers Meet was a feast of Irish music, 2008’s I Won’t Go Home ’Til Morning is an enchanting celebration of old-time Appalachian folk, with Sarah’s arrangements punctuated by her own fine compositions and a cover of Bobbie Gentry’s classic ‘Ode to Billie Joe’. Sarah is also the author of a highly-regarded guitar tutor, The Irish DADGAD Guitar Book.

Crow Coyote Buffalo, an album of songs co-written by Sarah with fellow Penzance resident Zoë (author and performer of 1991 hit single ‘Sunshine On A Rainy Day’) under the band name Mama, has also been garnering rave reviews since its January 2009 release; one critic described the pair as “Two pagan goddesses channelling the ghost of Jim Morrison”.

Sarah’s third solo album, provisionally titled The Plum Tree And The Rose, focuses both on early music (including Elizabethan material as well as songs in Old French, Old Occitan, Italian, Middle High German and Latin) and on originals inspired by such topics as Bess of Hardwick and the garden created at Kenilworth by Robert Dudley for Elizabeth I. Its release is expected in late 2010 or early 2011.

“Sparkling guitar and compelling alto voice ... reminiscent of Pentangle’s best efforts ... a gentle and magical recording that I will return to time and again.” — Tom Druckenmiller, Sing Out!

“Likely to make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.” — Aled Jones, BBC Radio 2

“Her singing has shades of Baez minus the operatic warble and Gillian Welch without so much Nashville twang.” — Spiral Earth

“Beautifully spare ... a melancholy but somehow celebratory collection.” — The Irish Times

“One of those rare things, a very lovely personal album but also an incredibly good introduction to Appalachian folk music. Highly recommended.” — Americana UK

“Quietly expressive and supremely affecting performances ... Not a weak link anywhere in earshot ... This is a truly lovely record.” — NetRhythms

“Truly spine-tingling ... A touching album from a genuine artist.” — Hot Press

“A rare beauty of an album.” — FATEA Magazine

“Pure magic!! We are running our folkclub for 16 years now but I never experienced such a thrilling interaction between artist and audience who rewarded you with three encores!! You have the ability to create an intimate atmosphere with your stories, songs and guitar playing and make the audience part of the gig.” — Piet Snellen, De Fookhook, Sevenum, Netherlands

Infos/Reservierung: irishfolkclub@hotmail.de, 089/679 24 81 und 0176/21 52 28 02

Ars Musica im Stemmerhof, Plinganserstr. 6, 81369 München (U6/S7 Harras, Bus 53 Sendlinger Kirche)

Don't miss this Lady at the Irish Folk Club Munich

post-5920-13306924374209.jpeg

Irish Folk Club Munich

Ars Musica im Stemmerhof

Plinganserstrasse 6

81369 Munich

20:00Hrs

Reservation advised:

info@irishfolkclubmunich.de or +49(0)176-21522802

See you there

Your hosts

Crusoe & Garibaldi