Unmarried Couple coming to Germany for work

95 posts in this topic

JFK said it best I think and though he was speaking about American citizens, the OP might want to think about what she is bringing to the table and not what she can take away:

" Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

That Germany will not 'invest' in you because you are not married, as old-fashioned as it may seem (and it is) actually makes sense: it's all about commitment

agree with most of the stuff in the post but I dont agree that this makes sense (although I agree yes it is very old fashioned)

Old fashioned yes, but one way of avoiding futher scammers i.e. friends living together but conning the state into thinking they're a couple for tax benefits.

Old fashioned yes, but one way of avoiding futher scammers i.e. friends living together but conning the state into thinking they're a couple for tax benefits.

? a pretty strange/complicated way in that case. Simpler not to have such old fashioned benefits I would have thought and go with individual taxation?

Its just as much a 'scam' to get married basically for tax purposes or stay married for tax purposes despite being separated

I don't read the same intentions into the OP's post as most of the other respondents here.

Xanax, maybe you can clarify: 1. Was your intention to rock up in Germany and claim unemployment benefit rather than trying to find work? Or, 2. were you just trying to figure out what tax class your SO would qualify for? I thought the latter. Both questions have been comprehensively answered and commented on above.

I think that English not being the OP's first language has affected the was she has come accross in her posts and has caused some posters to read nefarious intentions into her earlier questions where I see none. However, I don't think the OP has helped her cause with her later posts - why not try to explain yourself better, rather than get confrontational? I'd be pretty upset if people thought I was a benefit scrounger if that wasn't my intention at all.

If I've been mistaken and that is your intention after all, not sure if this forum is the right place for you!

? a pretty strange/complicated way in that case. Simpler not to have such old fashioned benefits I would have thought and go with individual taxation?

Its just as much a 'scam' to get married basically for tax purposes or stay married for tax purposes despite being separated

How radical. I'd love to shop on Sunday too, but c'est la vie.

In general, it's a good idea for anyone who is going to make him/herself a financial dependent on someone else in a foreign country to have a legally recognized relationship with the person s/he's dependent on.

Sorry, but all the advice here about getting married for the sake of tax benefits or to have some kind of security is just absolutely hilarious to me. If you need security looking like a ring on your finger to move country, then you have not yet arrived in the 21st century.

I can't speak for the others here who advise getting married, but I have bolded the crucial phrase in my advice.

I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to move to a foreign country where s/he has little chance of immediate employment, without a contract. This opinion has nothing to to do with government benefits. What happens if xamax moves to Germany, lives on her boyfriend's largesse for awhile, and then things don't work out? She not only no longer has a home or a job, but has also lost out on any income and career advancement she would have had if she had stayed in her own country. If she's not married, she's not entitled to any of the benefits she would receive in a divorce settlement. I also suspect that people take their obligations more seriously generally when they are sealed with a contract.

That's why it's a better idea for xamax to stay in her own country and remain employed and self-sufficient if she can't get a contract from her boyfriend, or until she is independently employable in Germany. I think we agree on that.

By no means am I advising her to get married for the sake of tax benefits. Marriage does represent a contractual obligation which you can call "security" if you like. Entering into a marriage contract isn't any more old-fashioned than entering into any other kind of business contract that protects both parties.

I don't know how to edit my post, but have just realised that I referred to Xamax as Xanax. Whoops!

Unbelievable

what a lot of rubbish being written here

anyway had a good laugh reading all of the replys

the Girl asked about the tax situation, benift system here . and I bet when she wrote the original question she had no idea the the Toytown users were going to rip her to shreads

do you lot have no lives at all get out have a beer and stop making asumptions about somebodys life or at least try and anwser the questions being asked without having a go at people.

AND

by the way before anyone comments or makes any assumptions anout me based on nothing

I have a cool job, health insurance, a flat, and a life all paid for by myself, came to germany to be with an Girlfriend now an ex. with NO German, very litte money and knowing nobody. it isnt that hard to make a life here with a full time job or a minni job or no job if your partner has one so give her a break eh!!!

but you know one day i might need to ask a question about the tax/benift system here in Germany as even having lived and WORKED here for ages i dont full understand it. and you know what they say shit happens sometimes

but rest ashored I wont be asking on here

Ciao

Well this is Toytown.You come in here ask a question that people don't really like & you gonna get bashed & end up in a pissing contest,so you just need to be ready fo that. :D

Now imagine if facebook would have dislike button it would cause international wars! :lol:

I don't know how to edit my post, but have just realised that I referred to Xamax as Xanax. Whoops!

Xanax does that to you.