Appropriate clothing for winter

32 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm relocating to Stuttgart around mid January. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me an idea of the weather then.

Does it snow? What is the typical temperature like?

I'll be coming with my toddler and would like to know what kind of warm clothes I'd need to get along. Would a woolen sweater with a coat be enough for outdoors? Or are thermal inner wear required? Also, would I need to buy boots for my daughter?

Any tip/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tanya.

:)

I see you have noted India on your profile, so may we assume you are moving from India?

If so, you will definitely notice a BIG temperature difference!

The best thing I find for freezing cold days is to layer my clothing - I start with my normal pants and bra, and then put on a vest. On top of that I put on a teeshirt, and over that a fleecey jumper - and that´s for indoors!

#right now there are a lot fo lovely, warm outdoor winter clothes in the shops, and much of it already at reduced prices - such a pity that you aren´t here already!

oops! that came up twice!

Well, under my trousers, I often wear a pair of tights as well in winter, simply for that extra layer!

Hi Tanya,

If you're coming from a warm and sunny climate, then January in Stuttgart will be a shock, I'm afraid. January tends to be the coldest month of the year (according to the statistics of the weather people), with temperatures between -20° and 5° Celsius. Frost, ice and snow, as well as biting winds are common. The days are short, thanks to daylight saving time it gets light about 6:30 am, but dark around 4:30 pm.

February is not much better, although the sun does get higher and it stays light longer. Frost, ice and snow continue.

In March, the weather begins to get a bit clearer - but temperature extremes between -10° and 20° Celsius are not unknown.

By April, it can get up to 20°, or even 30° Celsius... but frost is still possible - even until mid-May.

What I have found hardest to cope with (and I'm not from a warm climate, just saying...) are the temperature fluctuations, from really cold to really hot within a couple of days time. Or really cold in the morning, when I dress to go to work, and then it gets really warm in the afternoon. However, this is not so much in January, more between April and October.

Another point to consider is whether you will be in Stuttgart itself, or in the region. A large part of the city of Stuttgart is contained within a valley, between hills and I find that often, in the morning I don't need to scrape the ice off my car, whereas in the region outside the city, everything is covered with ice.

As you can see, you will need very warm clothing, especially for your little one. I have heard from Indian acquaintances that the warm clothing they bought in India in preparation was just not warm enough - I would recommend buying things you can layer, as robinson posted, but also hitting the winter sales here as soon as you arrive (they generally run from after Christmas to beginning of February, to clear winter clothing stocks). C&A is one shop that is excellent for good quality, inexpensive basic items like this.

All the best as you prepare for your move!

Pay extra attention to feet. Mine were always freezing even though I wore at least two/three layers under my boots. Also try and invest in good quality leather boots, and not those warm looking wooly-furry types. They're worst in winter when it starts to rain or sleet.

Definitely waterproof (but breathable) boots for the little one. Small children often wear snow suits or pants with leggings or tights underneath when they go outside.

A big thank you to all of you!! :D

Really appreciate all the tips. Temperatures of -20 deg. C are alien to me and I guess it'll be quite an experience!

All your replies has made me feel welcome - thanks again!

-Tanya

-20°C in Stuttgart? No way! I mean, I do recall -10°C here in Mannheim, but that isn't very usual. It doesn't stay that cold here for very long, no worries! It does snow, but it doesn't last very long either. Stuttgart is also in a gigantic "pit" so temperatures are a bit milder, but the outskirts do get snowier (I lived in Esslingen for 4 years).

But everyone is right about good waterproof shoewear (shoes with leather soles are deadly on slippery streets and do not keep warm at at) and a down jacket (a MUST) that goes mid-thigh and has a hood were my survival tips when I first moved to Germany (Esslingen). Also, I got used to wearing undershirts to keep kidney, etc. warm, underneath a wool sweater, etc. And I always wear a scarf, for example, a pasmima when I go out. Don't be afraid to start wearing hats.

Kids need warm, boots and down coats too.

Hi westvan,

I can get rubber boots for my toddler here, which, although water proof aren't breathable. Does that make a big difference?

-Tanya

Well, rubber boots are OK for warmer temperatures and rain, but for snow and freezing temps you'd really need snow boots, something with a lining and a good non-slip sole. By waterproof and breathable I meant that there are some here made out of Gore-Tex or other hi-tech materials that keep the feet warm and dry without things getting too sweaty.

Here are some examples. Winterstiefel Can you get anything like that where you are?

Hi westvan,

Thanks a ton for posting some examples! Looks like i'll have to shop for boots while there.

The boots available here are fancy and doesn't serve the purpose at all.

-Tanya.

Hi Tanya

I agree to most of the people here.

I wouldnt buy anything from India as the clothing thre is not suited for German climate.

However you may bring thermals alongwith.

Once you land, first thing is you need to hit C&A and get your basic warm clothes.

There are 2 at Koenigsstrasse and thats the place you can shop .

You can then explore and get something more fashionable depending on your taste from other places ( e.g. Metzingen )

I would say you should use this opportunity to revamp your wardrobe ;)

Dhruv

Hey Tanya - I thought of you in the last few days, when it got very "crisp" and cold... and especially this morning, when it was -14°. :blink:

Hope you've arrived safely and are getting settled in, and have your toddler and yourself well bundled up and warm!

we're all going to freeze to death over the next couple of days. if only i could go home for the weekend!

Are there snow capable shoes that go along with a semi-formal business outfit? It seems like I may need to wear a tie to work, so I'm just curious if there are any pair of shoes that go along with the outfit, and at the same time, appropriate for the cold, winter weather. Danke!