The God-bothering loonies have arrived

396 posts in this topic

Lorelei - that's a different thanksgiving, not the original event in 1621 that led to the holiday being celebrated today.

Link:

To them, a thanksgiving was a religious holiday in which they would go to church and thank God for a specific event, such as the winning of a battle. On such a religious day, the types of recreational activities that the pilgrims and Wampanoag Indians participated in during the 1621 harvest feast--dancing, singing secular songs, playing games--wouldn't have been allowed. The feast was a secular celebration, so it never would have been considered a thanksgiving in the pilgrims minds.

@Jeanie, do you believe that it is possible to be a part of a religious community (christian, jewish , mulism. etc.) without being indoctrinated?

Someone joining a religious community as an adult could certainly do so. However the point was about how insidious indoctrination is, particular where children are concerned and in the case of children, no, I don't think they could be.

Being part of a community it one of the big positives I can see for religion. Done well it can bind people together and give a sense of togetherness. The problem is that it tends to be abused by those with a different agenda and used as a tool of control.

If those two were meant to come over here, instead of internet begging, why don't they just pray to their 'god' for a ticket and some spending money?

I know many who go to Guatemala and other poor countries to help and contribute without being told by their church to do so. And they save up and pay their own ways. Imagine that?!

However, you both (tangentially) bring up a good point, which is that there are plenty of church-sponsored missionary organizations out there. Not only do these organizations raise money to fund their missionaries overseas, they also give them training in language, cross-cultural issues, etc. A very good friend of mine is currently living and working with his family as missionaries in Angola through one of these groups.

There are also short-term missionary assignments where church groups go for a week or a month at a time. These groups also get some training, though obviously not as much as a resident missionary gets.

The downside for the potential missionaries of working through a church-sponsored organization is that you'll probably get sent to Angola, not Germany.

The downside for donors to these self-appointed "missionaries" is that their donations are probably not tax-deductible, and there is no guarantee that these people are using your money for what they say they're using it for.

Lorelei - that's a different thanksgiving, not the original event in 1621 that led to the holiday being celebrated today.

The quote was from the Encyclopaedia Britannica entry for Thanksgiving Day.

Even assuming that the relationship between white settlers and natives was a roaring success, it's difficult to believe that the settlers would have embraced native culture to such an extent that they chose to call it "thanksgiving" but made it wholly non-Christian. That definitely sounds like a myth.

And based on your cite as well as mine, Thanksgiving in the US started out as a secular harvest celebration (of a kind similar to autumn harvest festivals around the world), was coopted by a religious group for a while, and then turned secular again over 150 years ago. The religious influence was transitory, and there isn't much evidence of its impact today. Try telling the millions of non-Christians celebrating Thanksgiving in the US each year that this is somehow a Christian religious holiday.

By the way, it is possible to express thanks to your family and friends - you know, beings of which there is tangible proof they exist.

Someone joining a religious community as an adult could certainly do so.

That's the case with me. I became Catholic at 32, mostly for reasons that had very little to do with religion, and have not been indoctrinated.

I was raised rather religiously, though, so I had the God/Jesus indoctrination, just from a different religion. I guess they didn't do a very good job, as I currently consider myself agnostic, although I read many books about religion, because it interests me.

Which states:

If you are from that forum and are reading this post – give us a chance to show that all Christians aren’t crazy. We all don’t stand on the street corner and scream at you. We all aren’t hypocrites*. We don’t want anything from you.

If you’re a follower of Christ and believe that missions is at the heart of God – His plan for the world – then can you help us get there? We still need $2000 a month in monthly support. You can find out how to do that here.

My bold, and my asterisk.

* They may have to brush up on their English first, anyway. Does this mean

a) "We-all aren't hypocrites, y'all"

b ) "Not all of us are hypocrites"

c) "None of us are hypocrites"

?

@Aaron...I further suspect that all the negative responses that you are receiving on TT might be interpreted by you as proof that you are indeed needed in Germany to do God's work.

Told you so.

Done well it can bind people together and give a sense of togetherness. The problem is that it tends to be abused by those with a different agenda and used as a tool of control.

sounds like society in general

I love this comment from the replies to their blog post:

Alexander Diedrich12-01-11 Wait till Editor Bob finds out about this! He gonna be mad like that Devil.

So EB, are you mad?

And this one:

Wow Aaron! I am praying for you guys! Those comments are harsh!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*rolls up sleeves*

they've not seen owt yet :D

What concerns me most about Aaron is his ridicule and judgement against the televangelist, fundamentalist, and street preachers.

If he wasn't so pompous he would realize these people are no different than him trying to spread gospel in their chosen way. He should also realize that they do serve the people who believe in their brand of gospel.

IMHO, Aaron and his organization is a fraud and is just looking to find a way to finance his stay in Germany under the guise of seeking handouts to spread his brand of religion.

Good evening, everybody. This is Aaron Alexander, the alleged "loony" coming taaaaaaaaao Germany.

I'm honored you would talk about me here- I have been coming to this site for 2 years. I've always gleaned so much good information about Germany and other expats. Thanks for being so willing to share your thoughts and experiences for us newbies.

I'm definitely no crazy televangelist or street preacher. We are just people who believe in God, and think following Him makes our lives worth living. I am of German heritage and descent, and it's exciting to come back "home" to a place where so much of our church history began. I still have family in Munich, Annweiler am Trifels, and various other cities in Germany.

We believe that Germany is the leader of Europe, and we love this country. We will be working with university students and new churches in Germany - simply serving the German people and hopefully ministering to them in a way that reflects the true nature of Jesus- not the crazy and weird stuff that so many of us see on tv or online about some Christians. I don't like televangelists or crazy fundamentalists. They drive us crazy here in the States as much or more than they do over there.

That's not my goal. That is not my intention.

We just want to come, live as Gemans, and hopefully contribute to society in a positive way.

I would love to buy any of you coffee or a beer if you are ever in Berlin - not to try and "convert" you - just to learn about life in Germany. I think those of you who want me to be a scary and crazy evangelist will be severely disappointed

I've been trying to get my wife to write her own bio for our website for months, but we have a 2.5 year old and a 9 month old at home, and she said she will try and get to it soon. She obviously has a uterus

Aaron Alexander

www.youcansend.us

2000$ a month...why not get a job and finance themselves.

I think missionaries fall under a special category. Unfortunately. SO glad they won't be near the university our son attends.

What kind of visa can they even get for 3 years?

Here's the info for Germany about how to get a religion visa.

http://germany.usembassy.gov/visa/niv/visacategories/r/