The God-bothering loonies have arrived

396 posts in this topic

HA!, John! Yeah, I bought antique fairy tale books LONG before I had a kid. I also really liked mythology when I was in school. So that's what I tried to explain to Jr... that people have worshiped lots of different deities over the ages. I was trying REALLY HARD to undermine the GerMan's 'there is no God' statement... I'm such a witch. :D

You're probably a secular Mormon, mlovett.

I believe the term is "jack Mormon". ;) I am of the opinion that Jon Huntsman is one, too.

Ok John,

if you are a good boy and go to bed now the tooth fairy wll come by tonight and either give you a set of brandnew ones or take the remaining ones away, without pain.

All you got to do is strongly believe. If it doesn't work , well you didn't believe strong enough.

Nice one, mlovett! What would the world be like without Zeus and the other guy? :) We need fantasy and vision and dreams - not ONLY science ( especially because I´m not good at it..!!!).

Children need fantasy and we ALL do.

Sosarx: I´m going to dream tonight that my toothache ( current) doesn´t exist and that you´ll kindly transfer a not inconsiderable sum to my HASPA account. Please PM for Kontonr and BLZ!! ( 10 euros is not enough these days, ok??!!).

There are 2 thing money can't buy, John, happiness and new real teeth. Better pm the loonies and ask them to pray for both coming to you.

I'm half swabian (moneywise) if that tells you something

I´m half Yorkshire, sosarx! ( as per Swabian! ) :D Agree with: happiness comes from within yourself and not from outside ( no system, no money , no other person , no event -nothing ). I would pm a few loonies but they´re all at the dentist´s tonight! ( And FarmerAndy is in Australia! Greets, Andy! )

If those two were meant to come over here, instead of internet begging, why don't they just pray to their 'god' for a ticket and some spending money?

And if praying to their god doesn't work, (surprise surprise) then they should pick another god, preferably one with more arms, until they hit the jackpot. Easy! Unless it was all a load of toss in the first place. And they were sold a line by somebody else, who was sold a line. And so on.

Their god will work just fine so long as they have others who believe the same sending them their hard-earned money.

Church people seem to think that it is impossible to do good works without the guidance of god/Jeebus.

I know many who go to Guatemala and other poor countries to help and contribute without being told by their church to do so. And they save up and pay their own ways. Imagine that?!

I told the GerMan that I may start doing what my brother does with his kids [we were raised Mormon]: take Jr to the Unitarian church. It's apparently not a religion, rather, they study all religions.

This is what my PhD (and doubting) sister did with her daughter, and it was acceptable to her non-practicing Quaker husband (he does not attend). ;) It's worked out for them for the past 3 years. FYI, my then 12 year old niece was the one who initiated it. Prior to that, they had not gone to any church.

as soon as you attend a church the beliefs of those religions are being presented to you as facts, which to me is a whole other kettle of fish.

That really depends on the church! Not all all denominations/churches are like that. I've already "outed" myself as a Christian on this board, but I also have a Jewish connection (my grandfather and most of my extended family), and an interest in Buddhism. I see far more similarities than differences in those three, which I find very intriguing. Maybe because of my background I've always found myself in churches where the dominant theme is "We really don't know what God is thinking (if there is a God, which we're not always convinced of)..." Sadly, I do know people who were greatly hurt by rigid, authoritarian churches and their "facts".

That really depends on the church!

I disagree - it seems to me that the minute you say a prayer (for example) you are presenting god/jesus/mary and the whole shebang as a fact. This is what I mean by indoctrination being insidious. It doesn't have to be shoved down your throat for it to be indocdrination.

[...] God and politics should stay well apart. He's not caused anything but trouble up to now

His son gives us quite a number of days off of work each year, though. That ought to be worth something... :P

Nah. We just get one day for that. We had a party in boston, but that was a one-off deal. :P

Nah. We just get one day for that. We had a party in boston, but that was a one-off deal. tongue.gif

Actually, in Boston, we celebrate Bunker Hill Day(Battle of Bunker Hill) and Evacuation Day (the day the British left Boston), as well as the 4th of July. (Evacation Day conveniently falls on St. Patrick's Day. Coincidence that it's a holiday? Maybe...) Thank you, Brits!

indoctrination

Sorry, I don't buy that prayer is soft indoctrination. Not with so many people who leave the church and choose to be asnostic or atheist; who change from denomination to denomination; who convert from one faith to another; who grew up with out any religion at all, yet decided to join something; who feel compelled to seek, fueling the current interest in new age spirituality and non-western faiths. (And yes, I can get data on all of this, but please don't make me.)

I do believe that a lot of people have a desire to connect with something greater than themselves. For some people that might be shared worship, prayer, meditation, a faith tradition, etc., for others it might be immersing themselves in nature on a hike.

Just to round out the list of other big US holidays that don't have anything to do with baby jesus: Thanksgiving, Labor Day, and Memorial Day.

If Thanksgiving is secular, who is being thanked?

The New England colonists were accustomed to regularly celebrating “Thanksgivings,” days of prayer thanking God for blessings such as military victory or the end of a drought.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/590003/Thanksgiving-Day

Sorry, I don't buy that prayer is soft indoctrination.

We'll have to agree to disagree so.

Not with so many people who leave the church and choose to be asnostic or atheist;

It's not impossible to get over being indoctrinated. In fact the realisation of how pervasive it is can be what lead some (perhaps many) to finding out they don't so much have faith as they do indoctrination.

@Jeanie, do you believe that it is possible to be a part of a religious community (christian, jewish , mulism. etc.) without being indoctrinated?

You didn't ask me but I've done it before. Moved to VA in 1984 and wanted to meet people so I went to the Episcopal church (Mama told me they drink), taught Sunday school, cooked food for shut ins, etc. I was never asked whether or not I believed. I didn't. Made a lot of very nice friends and they had fun grown up parties. I took my son with me and he made a lot of friends, too. It served my purpose at the time. It was a nice community/family.