The God-bothering loonies have arrived

396 posts in this topic

@john q.: You mention equality in the areas of sexual, political, and gender -- would you include religion on that list as well?

Can't speak for John but the whole point of equality, as I pointed out with the catholic job example, is absolutely.

And it's enshrined in the Human Rights Declaration, article 2.

Yes, I do, relationaltruth. You can´t stop people from believing and feeling what they want. I don´t have to agree with it, though. And it´s up to each society to debate what needs to be rethought through and updated/abolished et al.

Yes, this must be true.

I didn't mean it offensively. I like the U.S, but I do always get the impression that many Americans are strangely paranoid. Social competition between people over there seems fierce, there seems to be much more of a social hierarchy and perhaps that is one of the reasons why the country ends up with so many delusional, religous nutters - the result of not making it socially, a result of fierce competition and not being cool enough, therefore turning to a group of people where suddenly everything is okay. They become accepted and are respected. They feel safe with religion.

And I mean no insult to America by the way, but from over this side of the ocean, that is the impression I get and that's all it is, an impression, not fact.

Well, our country was founded by a bunch of Puritans. No getting around that.

Keep in mind that even a lot of Americans who go to church these days aren't necessarily religious. Being a member of a church is in many ways like belonging to a social or athletic club, especially if you belong to one with a gym, concert facilities, lots of activities, a pre-school, etc.

Plus, a lot (maybe even most) of the bigotry that goes on in the name of "Christianity" in America is really just people looking for a way to justify their own biases, and the Christian church gives them a socially acceptable way of doing that.

Maybe the most ironic example I see around regularly is Christians using their personal unwillingness to help the poor with "Christian" excuses like "God helps those who help themselves," the parable of the lilies of the field, etc. I'm pretty sure Christ would not approve.

We just want to come, live as Gemans

Well, you could start integrating by reading one of Germany's most popular satire magazines. As you can see, Jesus still plays a role over here anyway. (More examples on this page: http://www.titanic-magazin.de/postkarten.html?&cat=672&cHash=964b4e166a0715daa601cc74db78d3ee)

post-136480-13224066397677.jpg

Hubby just sent a couple of JW's away from our front door.

Remember the old Škoda (or Lada) jokes?

Q - What's the difference between a Škoda and a Jehovah's Witness?

A - You can shut the door on a Jehovah's Witness.

Make sure you get your vocab right, Alexander, while you're proselytising. I got stopped by some Mormons the other day - Americans in ties, you know - and they asked me "Sind Sie abergläubig?" ("Are you superstitious?") They must have been going round asking everyone this instead of "Sind Sie gläubig?" ("Are you a believer?") before I explained their slight mistake. I wonder what kind of weird answers they'd been getting, and what kind of warped impression they must have had of the state of religion in East Germany :-D

25% of American children are living below poverty level. The lucky ones have cars in which to live. Plenty of room for good works over there.

Just sayin.

Interesting that some Christian "missionaries" are more interested in using funds for saving people's immortal "souls" rather than their mortal lives. Just sayin.'

No hunger in heaven, I guess.

I've got a conundrum:

I'm not a god-botherer by any stretch of the imagination, but I was raised in a very religious family, and don't have a lot of particularly hard feelings about that. My son is 7, and has no idea about religions. His German father is atheist. I'm sure he hears about religion at school, so he asked out of the blue over the Thanksgiving holiday if God exists. My husband immediately said no. I got mad, because I'd rather Jr decide for himself. I pointed out to the GerMan that he is forcing a belief in Santa, the Easter bunny and the Tooth Fairy on the child, so WTF??

Sigh. So I started explaining things to Jr, in the most agnostic/ historical way possible. For instance, I explained who the guy whose name he is always shouting [Jesus Christ!] actually is claimed to be.

Am I wrong to have gotten annoyed over this? I don't push my spiritual upbringing on my son, so I didn't appreciate his father doing so. If we're going to say there is no God, then it's time to quit lying about the other fairies, oder? And furthermore, why do so many atheists celebrate Christmas?

If you want Jr. to decide for himself, when do you plan on exposing him to your religion?

I had it shoved down my throat. I'm sure there are much nicer ways to teach your child about religion.

I can understand your annoyance.

It sucks when parents aren't on the same page and is confusing for the kids. The same page doesn't have to be religion or not in this case - just an agreement to let jr. decide.

Interesting that some Christian "missionaries" are more interested in using funds for saving people's immortal "souls" rather than their mortal lives. Just sayin.'

No hunger in heaven, I guess.

I am not going to pinpoint at Christians specifically but has anyone notice that the leaders of every big religious organization/sect own big condominiums in Florida? Is that what is being done by charity? We are funding religious leaders their dream homes?

If you want Jr. to decide for himself, when do you plan on exposing him to your religion?

I no longer have a religion, apart from perhaps worshiping Mother Nature. ;) I told the GerMan that I may start doing what my brother does with his kids [we were raised Mormon]: take Jr to the Unitarian church. It's apparently not a religion, rather, they study all religions. Hopefully that might satisfy his curiosity. Papa doesn't have to go with us [in fact, I'd prefer that].

As for the Mormonism, I plan to teach Jr about the history of it [which was important in the West], rather than shove the belief system down his throat. My forefathers were the original pioneers... that has significance in my family.

Thanks for your reply, ff. Agree that it sucks when we can't seem to be on the same parental page.

I've definitely come to think that no kid can make up their own mind unless they really are left alone and not brought to any church. It's one thing to learn about different religions - as soon as you attend a church the beliefs of those religions are being presented to you as facts, which to me is a whole other kettle of fish. Children in particular are (I think but I may just be projecting my inner-child) very accepting of what they are told by adults. I think that a great number of people who now consider themselves to be faithful to a particular religion would not do so if they had had no exposure to it as children - indoctrination is a horribly insidious thing.

Very good points, Jeanie. Attending services at a Christian church would hardly offer one a clinical view of Christianity itself.

As for the Mormonism, I plan to teach Jr about the history of it [which was important in the West], rather than shove the belief system down his throat. My forefathers were the original pioneers... that has significance in my family.

It's curious that while it's fairly common for a Jewish person to describe him/herself as a "secular Jew," you hardly ever hear a Christian do the same ("secular Christian.")

I do it, though. It's a description of my background, culture, and to some extent, worldview, but not of my belief system. You're probably a secular Mormon, mlovett.

But atheism is also indoctrination, isn't it?

Religion is obviously a HUGE player in the history of mankind. A friend told me ages ago that he feels he missed out on something because his parents never taught him anything about religions. He became a history major. Still unemployed, I believe. :rolleyes:

So that was my thinking with visiting the Unitarians... just go and check it out. If Jr prefers to keep hiking on Sundays and worshiping Mother Nature instead, fine by me! Paganism is indoctrination too though, innit? ;)

post-33917-13225070201075_thumb.jpg

Jr, seen Sunday last

Children need fairies and tales, easter bunnies and Santas. Part of the development. But I'd say at the age of 7 it's about time to stop with it. Otherwise the kid may take you for a fool, since he's been already told by other kids about their non-existence. At least in Europe

Christmas? My wife, Bhuddist, me atheist, my little daughter always celebrate "Christmas". A tree, some gifts, quiet winter evenings. More a "spiritual" than religious thing.

Religion? I won't tell her that there is a god, rather no god. I will just stick to my interpretation of religion- we are unable to give a final answer about the origin of the univers, this leading to the idea of creation by a superiour being, a god.

What is sure a part of her upbringing: Humanitas, as it is part of both religions, my wife's and mine. Basically not so different at all .

sosarx: you miserable sod! I need fairies and tales, Easter bunnies and Santas and ( most definitely ) tooth fairies! :D What do you mean...stop? STOP??? Bollocks!

The rest of your post: like it!!!