The God-bothering loonies have arrived

396 posts in this topic

@modernbird: Just two quick things ... I believe when Jesus said those things to the apostles, he was speaking in hyperbole language. He actually later instructs them to take a purse with them. Also ... one might have to dust off one´s feet at the first sign of rejection, but that doesn´t necessarily mean there isn´t work in the next town so to speak.

@modernbird: Just two quick things ... I believe when Jesus said those things to the apostles, he was speaking in hyperbole language.

Actually, the gospel is pretty clear and consistent on this in 3 gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke. Of course ymmv. :rolleyes: Those darn translational differences...

As for your other point, well, of course. Brings to mind the mustard seed parable.

Edited to add: Sorry for any preaching. Not what I'm trying to do. Better to live one's life in keeping with one's faith quietly, than to shout and cajole from a roof top.

I'm an atheist and I'm afraid of people who lives their religion in a way I can notice it. (Praying loudly, missionaries..).

Creepy!

(I'm german, sorry for bad english)

They might be quite succesful in Berlin if they'd announce to the world that jesus was gay.

@relationaltruth: I don't think that people would be as intolerant of religious nutters if it wasn't a part of being a religious nutter to try to proselytise other people in total disregard of their wish not to be bothered with uncalled for wisdom.

@Beuel: You make an excellent point. All too often "religious" people usually of the fundamentalist mindset attempt to offer up their wisdom with total disregard as to whether or not the other person(s) wants the wisdom or not -- hence creating anger, frustration, and even intolerance toward them. However -- on the other hand -- if they simply believed what they believed and only shared it when asked (or when appropriate) -- would that be a better method? Would that lessen the intolerance?

if they simply believed what they believed and only shared it when asked (or when appropriate) -- would that be a better method? Would that lessen the intolerance?

Yes, it would be a start.

Best would be this "loonies" come over here and learn how europeans deal with religion and privacy. Then return and bring the unbelieveable news to their innocent fellow citizens. There is a lot to learn.

@sosarx: Yes ... there is certainly something to be said for learning from a culture as well as being culturally sensitive. I suppose religious nutters who are also German need to learn from their own culture as well and bring such news to their own populace?

We're still trying to work out why the guy only started screaming from the 15th floor.

Hi Pas! Been over the posting limit since last night until a few minutes ago!! :D God-bothering mods...!!!

Ok, next clue: there had been a nuclear war..everyone lay dead in the street, animals extinct , no Toytown, no nothing as far as the eyes could see...

So that one means he thought he was the last person alive and as he got to the 15th floor he noticed Olivia Wilde showering in one of the apartments.

Well done, Pas! The original version from the 80´s from an English teacher´s book was " He was convinced he was the last person alive in the world and as he fell through the air to the 15th floor he heard a phone ring in an apartment! "

For any English teachers out there: it´s a good filler! Main thing is: only yes or no questions are allowed to keep the suspense! It´d be great to hear any feedback if you use this! It´s as old as the hills but anyway...

Finally ... I don´t mean to hijack this thread and take it off topic ... sorry.

A good debate wanders? Seems pretty on topic to me and the mods will pull it in if they think it wanders too far.

I do believe that to be tolerant all you are saying is that you think all human beings truly are equal regardless of any orientation. So I don't see your point as really valid. A culture that doesn't value women as equal is intolerant by definition.

I'd rather have tons of Christians coming over from the US than muslims from Turkic or Arab nations.

A good debate wanders? Seems pretty on topic to me and the mods will pull it in if they think it wanders too far.

I do believe that to be tolerant all you are saying is that you think all human beings truly are equal regardless of any orientation. So I don't see your point as really valid. A culture that doesn't value women as equal is intolerant by definition.

I believe - no, not believe - affirm within my personal conscience - that all human beings should be treated equally regardless of any orientation ( sexual, political, gender ). If said equality is not forthcoming, I reserve the right to be critical of this intolerance. Thanks to all those who have fought and argued through history for the right I have to say this.

Right now your great Christian nation America needs pious young men like yourself, Aaron, to stay at home and help stem the economic and moral decline which has beset that once mighty country since at least the late fifties.

No, no, we don't.

I don't really care that they're getting their gullible fellow believers to fund their German junket. If people are stupid enough to spend their money on it, then that's their business.

All that aside...I don't understand the purpose of being a missionary in this day and age. I guess it kind of made some sense a few hundred years ago when the christians educated the savages in the pacific about the merits of christianity, because they'd never heard of Jeebus and so they were being sold (well forced to accept) something they'd never heard of before. I guess there might be some people left in poor and remote areas of the world, but not in Germany.

We've all heard of Jeebus here, and those people who that sort of thing appeals to already believe it and you can talk to the rest of us about it until you're blue in the face, but we're not going to join you and we really, really don't care how much of a difference Jeebus has made to your life, so don't even start with that. Even if you talk to students about it - they're pretty clued up about that sort of stuff as well. They aren't going to listen to you and do what you say, just because you're the adult. In fact, knowing adolescents, they're more likely to do the exact opposite just to spite you.

So what are you trying to achieve? Seriously? If you're coming to hang out with other christians and see how they live and what they do here then fine, but who listens to missionaries these days? There are no uneducated savages here and if you join the rest of those annoying people in the city centre peddling their god, then please don't come because it's really, really annoying and you'll be wasting your time anyway.

The whole thing is a lose/lose situation. If you really want to make a difference, then come over and do some charity work or something that will provide some actual tangible help to people.