The God-bothering loonies have arrived

396 posts in this topic

We've never once stoned anybody or burned anybody in the name of God. I'd say we're a step ahead of most large scale religions?

@Pas: Religion certainly has a lot to apologize for that is for certain -- however I believe in an earlier post someone was calling for the torture of people like Aaron. If that´s true, then that is clearly not tolerant and also unacceptable in an environment that prides itself (I think) on being open, tolerant, and accepting of most all ideas.

aaron, since god helps them who help themselves he does not want us to contribute to your traveling funds. you'll have to get over here and settled on your own to spread your interpretation of his word.

of course, under the circumstances you are morally obliged to forego such government subsidies as kindergeld, hartz iv, wohngeld etc., making you an outsider, even a leper in berlin. according to your faith the lord will provide for you, and if you end up starving in the streets - it's what he intended for you.

It sure would be helpful to learn the meaning of some german terms before you start with your mission.

Like: Hau ab. Laß mich in Ruhe. Nicht schon wieder. Interessiert mich null. Geh weiter. Ah, nee.

I need the help of everybody here. Then later money:

I need to decide which one to do:

• Go to Italy and enlighten them about the Spaghetti Monster
  • Go to Iceland and free them from not eating Cheddar cheese.
  • Go to the USA and cure them from their sin of driving on the wrong side of the road. It's rampant there!
  • Go to Britain and help them worship the Gruffalo. And tell them why they are doing it wrong!

@Pas: Religion certainly has a lot to apologize for that is for certain -- however I believe in an earlier post someone was calling for the torture of people like Aaron. If that´s true, then that is clearly not tolerant and also unacceptable in an environment that prides itself (I think) on being open, tolerant, and accepting of most all ideas.

I fear you may have been taking Sin a little too literally.

@Pas: I might have Pas...I might have...good point -- but we can´t be naive to the fact that there are some people in this world who mean what they say in such a regard, but then claim to be open, tolerant, accepting, etc. My question is why are some ideas allowed in the secular marketplace and others not -- typically those of a religious nature? It´s usually the religious ones who are accused of being exclusive, narrow-minded, etc., but often the secular entities can be just as exclusive in their claims. Odd no??

I fear you may have been taking Sin a little too literally.

Quite. I really need to be taken orally.

@Pas: I might have Pas...I might have...good point -- but we can´t be naive to the fact that there are some people in this world who mean what they say in such a regard, but then claim to be open, tolerant, accepting, etc. My question is why are some ideas allowed in the secular marketplace and others not -- typically those of a religious nature? It´s usually the religious ones who are accused of being exclusive, narrow-minded, etc., but often the secular entities can be just as exclusive in their claims. Odd no??

I don't really understand what you mean by that.

I suspect you're falling foul of the paradox that tolerant people tend not to be too tolerant of intolerance.

@Pas: It would be hard for me to develop this idea in a thread, but in short I believe that a truly all-inclusive entity is not possible. My example is attempting to show that fact -- that ideas which from the outset appear to be intolerant are not accepted (normally) in an environment that claims to be all-inclusive. I do see your point however ...

For me the difference is that most 'tolerant' people would agree it's wrong for a catholic not to get a job because of their beliefs. Yet the catholic church will discriminate and fight for discriminatory laws or exclusions for them, for example.

Fruitcakes! I just checked out his Facebook page... Basically they are just trying to get other loonies to finance their vacation!

This was exactly my thought on the subject - both the fruitcakes and the vacation. Is there anything more offensive or more redundant than anyone coming to teach Germans about religion. Seriously, how many days of work do I lose because they have to be out for St. Dingsbumsbach Feast and the subsequent bridge day.

As for how to manage these loons, do what my Sicilian grandmother did. Bring them into the house, sit them at the table, get a rosary, proceed in "praying" over the rosary until they leave quietly. You can't do what I always did back home, sadly. I used to take out my gun and start cleaning it, then I very slowly loaded the bullets until they went away.

I am of German heritage and descent, and it's exciting to come back "home" to a place where so much of our church history began. I still have family in Munich, Annweiler am Trifels, and various other cities in Germany. ...We just want to come, live as Gemans, and hopefully contribute to society in a positive way.

@Aaron - just a few observations...

-Germany is not your "home", and you and your family won't be living as Germans. You will always be Americans living as guests in Germany.

-As other posts have stated, Jesus is already quite famous in Germany, much as he is in the US. In fact, public policy in Germany seems to be much more in keeping with Jesus' teaching than public policy in the US (look at the poverty and healthcare, for an interesting comparison of the countries).

I won't try to dissuade you from what you see as your Call. I suspect that to do so would encourage you further. I further suspect that all the negative responses that you are receiving on TT might be interpreted by you as proof that you are indeed needed in Germany to do God's work. If so, you might want to reflect that when Jesus sent the disciples forth, he instructed them not to take any gold with them on their journey, nor anything more than the clothes on their backs. He goes on to say if anyone does not welcome you, leave and shake the dust from your feet. Interesting.

@Pas: I see your point. There are many inconsistencies in the institutionalized church -- that is for sure. All I was attempting to say is that sometimes those who are tolerant are not tolerant of views that do not mesh with their own. Also ... seemingly tolerant people and societies can be equally exclusive in their claims as well. For example -- we in the secular west typically uphold universal human rights -- particularly as they relate to women. I for one believe that is a very good thing -- it shows a very tolerant attitude and posture .. however .. it is also an exclusive truth claim, i.e. women´s rights are to be cherished and proclaimed .. and we, through politics and intervention, attempt to place this truth claim onto societies that -- for example -- do not have the same view of women (or universal human rights) that we hold dear in the west. So on the one hand we are not being ´tolerant´ of societies that don´t believe what we do and on the other hand we are being exclusive (and somewhat closed) to another viewpoint. Please understand that I am in agreement with women´s rights for sure as well as universal human rights.. I am just attempting to draw a philosophical picture with my example. Finally ... I don´t mean to hijack this thread and take it off topic ... sorry.

I'm honored you would talk about me here-

You do realize that this is not a good thing, right?

We will be working with university students and new churches in Germany - simply serving the German people and hopefully ministering to them in a way that reflects the true nature of Jesus- not the crazy and weird stuff that so many of us see on tv or online about some Christians.

If you're going to bring Jesus to Germany, can you also bring some beer and some bread? They don't have enough of that, either. By the way, did Jesus really exhort people to preach to the converted? Perhaps your time would be better spent in Egypt or Tunisia.

We just want to come, live as Gemans, and hopefully contribute to society in a positive way.

If you want to live as Germans, that means minding your own and not bothering people unless they don't pick up their dog crap.

Look, Jake and Elroy, I am not sure why you think your particular mission from God means you have to leave the US, my home country and a place with needs enough of its own, and go bother people who actually can opt to pay a payroll tax directly to the church, but I am in full agreement with the poster who believes you just want a nice vacation to expand your own selfish horizons.

He's not caused anything but trouble up to now

while it is, in my opinion, true that religion in general has caused a lot of problems on personal levels (eg child abuse) and national levels (wars) - although its possible that such stuff would have happened anyway but in different circumstances (eg child abuse in scouts, cadet forces, wars caused by ideologies) and I also think its a load of mumbo jumbo, I suspect faith has helped some people in the past get through difficult situations

So I'm new to Toytown. We're living in Nürnberg to learn German and the culture and helping in a Baptist church plant (about 5 minutes from Ikea). It's nothing fancy. Just simple worship and Bible study.

It's all in German, but you are welcome to come hear straight Bible teaching and connect with some very friendly German Christians (and a couple of us Americans, too

Here's the info:

http://www.fbg-nuernberg.de/

Meeting times:

Sunday 10am; Wednesday Bible Study at 7:30pm

"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

John 14:6

I knew I had heard the term "church plant" before. I remember asking if that was a place where Baptists were manufactured.

What is a church plant? A mole?

What is a church plant? A mole?

Maybe they "plant" new churches the way a garderner plants seeds, and then tend to them until they are strong enough on their own?

(What an incredibly patronizing concept.)