Christmas tree time!

49 posts in this topic

Over here they've had all the Christmas stuff out since something like the first week of November.

And it'll all be gone by the 25th Dec.

back home in ireland we put up our tree around 8th december and leave it up for as long as possible end of january

but im glad im going home for christmas

christmas in germany woukd prob kill me...boring...

christmas in germany woukd prob kill me...boring...

Christmas in Germany is not much different to Christmas in the UK, apart from the fact that your family isn't here, but that's not Germanys fault. I find it difficult to believe that it's much different in Ireland. The time leading up to Christmas is actually a lot better than in the UK, with all the Christmas markets everywhere, which is why people come here from all over at Christmas time. People still have a Christmas dinner with family here, a lot of people actually go to church on Christmas eve as well! :o Over the years I've spent a lot of very good Christmas's here. However due to my family being all over the place it's now easier to meet up in the UK.

I will however put up my Christmas decorations this coming weekend, it's the first advent. Next week I've got friends coming over from the UK, for the Christmas markets, and I want the place to look Christmassy. No tree though, too much hassle for just a couple of days.

im going home for christmaschristmas in germany woukd prob kill me...boring...

The time leading up to Christmas is actually a lot better than in the UK, with all the Christmas markets everywhere, which is why people come here from all over at Christmas time.... ... Next week I've got friends coming over from the UK, for the Christmas markets

How true Allershausen. Christmas markets are becoming more and more popular in the UK. Take a look at BBC Breakfast's article on German Christmas Markets' growing popularity in the UK.

we usually wait until the day after Thanksgiving (this coming Thursday), but my kids were really excited about the fact that Christmas is coming and that they've already begun to make ornaments for the tree. So we pulled out artificial tree out of the basement and decorated it yesterday. Each year the kids make all the ornaments from the tree except for one special ornament that we've purchased from each city we've been to during the year. We put up the tree, while the whole family is singing Christmas songs. It makes me smile just looking at the tree!

Thanks for all the replies i enjoyed reading them all,i think we will stick to the 2nd advent which is normaly more or less 12 days before Christmas!

Well, I am very much with Bluedave on this topic, but the 19th is the Birthday!

What I really do have to mention is that I received my first Christmas card yesterday! WOW!

(some people are just sooooo organised, aren´t they?)

post-7126-13219930399129.gif

Christmas is for enjoying. So don't wait until it's nearly over, right before that stupid dull bit between Xmas day (25th) and new year. Make it last at least a whole month! Parties, dinners, trees, Quality Street chockies, coloured lights, (not just white), crackers, Xmas adverts on TV. (not just M+S), chocolates with alcohol in them. And many, many more.

I just buy some branches and put them on shelves, stick a few baubles in between and then put Christmas cards inbetween the branches, too, When and if they arrive.

Smells nice to me.

Oh, absolutely, nina! When we came back to the US we were very poor, so poor that I had to pick up a few branches near Fuenfling's Kindergarten and bring them home to decorate. We hung them on the wall and they worked just fine. That was the year that I wrapped a box of sugary cereal for 9-year-old Vierling and he secretly wrapped the toaster for me!

EDIT: I think it was Captain Crunch.

Very expensive Xmas tree.

This guy destroyed a helicopter placing an Xmas tree in Auckland New Zealand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0m6bJI6-b4

Yes, this guy is very lucky indeed, must have had angels watching him. I hope they manage to finish erecting the tree.

I LOVE Christmas....

I have to physically hide the decorations from myself so I don't put them up in October.

Normally by the time it's 1st December, I honestly cannot bare it anymore and I just attack the Christmas box. ALL Christmas decorations will be put up in the one sitting on 1st Dec: Christmas tree, door wreath, sunday candles, table clothes - literally everything. :D

Normally 12 days after Christmas, on the 6th Jan, it all comes down after I have recovered from New Years.

Sugary cereal? Luxury!

No offence intended, but you have obviously never been poor or starving!As a child i ate orange peel out of the dustbin just to have something in my belly at the time it was indeed a luxury even better were the half eaten sandwiches the other children had thrown in the bin, Now that was a real luxury!

Is it nearly Christmas? I knew there must be a reason for all those little huts in town...

Oh-my-god-I've-got-to-go-shopping-for-presents-quick-before-the-rush-damn-too-late

:blink:

I just LOVE Christmas my German bf and I agreed last year to have it alternate culture years I had my Brit christmas timing last year ( 2nd advent weekend) but this year I have to stick to German timing :( I think I might struggle!

No offence intended, but you have obviously never been poor or starving!As a child i ate orange peel out of the dustbin just to have something in my belly at the time it was indeed a luxury even better were the half eaten sandwiches the other children had thrown in the bin, Now that was a real luxury!

It's a Python quote.