Christmas tree time!

49 posts in this topic

I was just wondering when do you put your christmas trees up?in Germany as most of you know they bring them in on the 24th Dec "Heilig Abend" which i personaly think is a bit late, i prefer the 2nd advent weekend,we have a lot of different nationalities here so what are your traditions?

24th Dec as well, the first day of Christmas. It goes down after the 12th day.

Usually the 20th, as the days leading up to the 24th are often stuffed with other duties like food and booze purchase, so it makes more sense to get the tree purchase out the way.

In the last 2 or 3 years there has been snow on the ground when we have carried the tree home- there's something so Christmassy about tramping home in the twilight through the snow, the two of us, one carrying the top, the other the tail of the Christmas tree, passing kids on their way home being pulled along on little sledges with bells, by their long-suffering mamas.

The tree has to go on the 6th at the latest but in the past years has usually been chucked out on the 3rd or 4th as our apartment is super warm so it starts to shed needles everywhere.

Back in Blighty, mrs g has been known to start decorations during October half-term, so I'm somewhat shocked that we only have one Xmas-y thing up as of yet!

As an American man with a German wife (and Schwiegermutter) Christmas has been compromised with this whole Weihnachtsbaum on Heilige Abend thing. I grew up with the tree going up sometime around the second week of December. We have a three year old that has to be trained in German tradition, but meine Frau also sees some need to let junior see how Papa's culture works.

I have to say, a lot of joy is missing when the tree isn't up, but the needles do fall pretty quickly in these German flats.

It's also odd to have a tree wrapped up in a nylon mesh leaning on the balcony railing for a week before we put it up. WTF?

Let's put first things first.

1, Advents wreath set up on November 27 this year - songs, recitations, punch and Gluehwein, cookies

2. EDIT Start opening the Advent calendar's doors on Dec 1. (How could I forget that?)

3. St Barbara's day on the 4th - bring long twigs from your flowering plants into your house and put them in water - they'll bloom on Christmas Day

The 4th is also the second Sunday in Advent - more family celebrations

4. Nikolaus on the 6th - set your kiddies' shoes out with hay for the Saint's horse

5. The 11th is the third Advent Sunday - you'd better bake again.

6. And the 18th is the final Sunday before Christmas. Now all four candles are burning as you eat, drink and admire your children's beauty and ability to charm the family with their performances

7. Now you can set up the tree.

I've probably left things out, but with all of the above to do, no wonder the Germans wait until it's almost too late!

We are moving right before Christmas so no tree for us.

whenever the door-to-door tree salesman stops by...

perhaps it's been asked before, but why do German Christmas trees have no scent? Sort of misss the smell of a fresh cut noble fir in the house.

I just buy some branches and put them on shelves, stick a few baubles in between and then put Christmas cards inbetween the branches, too, When and if they arrive.

Smells nice to me.

Between Halloween and December - birthday and anniversary present buying

5 December - rush out and get chocolate

6 December - younger child's birthday, anniversary of first date with husband, Nikolaus

12 December - older child's birthday

Weekend between their birthdays - major cleanup; visit from in-laws

Between 12 and 24 December - decorating, Christmas present buying and tree - plastic to commemorate old times back in Essex.

Back home it would always go up on the 8th (or thereabouts), the German hubby always insisted on not putting it up until the 24th, now I get away with putting it up on the 23 but not a day earlier, which is still too late for me, so we compromised, I have a mini tree (about 50cms high), I put that up on the 8th and take it down on the 23/24th and put the real one up then, it's not ideal, but it's a compromise I can live with

perhaps it's been asked before, but why do German Christmas trees have no scent? Sort of misss the smell of a fresh cut noble fir in the house.

My guess would be species - less than 3% of Germany's trees are real firs (thank you Wer wird Millionär).

Back home we put it up the 8th of December and it goes until the 6th of January.

I'm one of those crazy people who refuses to conform to German tradition. Fake tree goes up on first advent, along with the rest of the decorations.

I tried waiting till the 24th one year, but I really don't get into the Christmas spirit without the tree, somehow.

In America, we always bought our tree the day after Thanksgiving, freshly cut from a tree farm ourselves or if we wanted a Frasier Fir, we'd have to get one imported from North Carolina. We're already playing Christmas Music in the house and getting in the spirit. My first try at gluhwein was not good, but what should I expect when I buy a 1euro cup of gluhwein from the China-box shop at Zoologischer Garten? :-)

I've got a nice ceramic tree stand that holds about a gallon of water. As soon as Max Baer has them, I'll have one!

No special date, just whenever I get in the mood to put the tree up and have the extra energy for it. We have had an artificial one for a number of years and this year I think I want a real one again. I wish I could get those ones with the really long, soft needles on them, as they are my favorite. I don't decorate nearly as much as when the kids were little, but I hang a few small things, burn some scented candles, etc.

Most of the Germans I know put their tree up long before the 24th. Probably more around the 6th for St. Nikolaus day.

Back in England, in our house, they always went up 12 days before (13th) and came down 12 days after (6th).

in Germany as most of you know they bring them in on the 24th Dec "Heilig Abend" which i personaly think is a bit late

Germans have no clue about xmas, so never follow their lead. They celebrate xmas day on xmas eve FFS, which is

a - stupid. Why can't they look at a calendar? Do you celebrate your birthday on the day before your birthday? No. Not unless you are stupid.

b - A pain in the arse if you have kids. Keeping the kids up late, then giving them presents? Idiotic. No way on earth you will get them to sleep properly, and then they are grumpy little shits on xmas DAY when it is actually xmas.

Humbug humbug humbug humbug humbug humbug humbug. The only good thing about xmas in Germany (Munich) is that you might get snow, but actually, you very very very rarely do.