Recommendations for a cheap tablet device

48 posts in this topic

Then either use the Application Manager to move the programs, or install a 3rd party tool to do it for you.

I did that, but there are files I couldn´t move to the SD-card (some I could). Can you recommend a specific app manager?

As far as PDF Try installing Adobe PDF.

I had done that and usually it works. But not always. Which sucks!

My vote is for a used ipad off of ebay. Mine is a 3rd generation and still works great.

My Dad bought a Samsung Galaxy tablet about the same time I bought my ipad (both new) and it's already dead.

Last I knew one could buy a Kindle Fire and transform it to an Android device. There's all sorts of info on the web how to do it. I'm still using my Linux netbook and happy with it. I'm sure if I'd get a tablet I'd wonder how I lived without it.

Amazon currently has specials for a kindle fire HDX starting at € 99.-. Would anybody like to share their experience with a kindle fire HDX? What makes it appealing to me that they promise free online support and are aiming to deliver it within 15 sec.

I don´t see however, whether it has a SD-card slot? Is it possible that it doesn´t?

that they promise free online support and are aiming to deliver it within 15 sec.

Never ever buy a product based on such promises..

Well, I´ll give it a try (the price is too tempting) and will report back.

@Jeba

Did you order the Kindle Fire HDX from Amazon?

Don't know if you noticed but the models they were offering in their so called "Black Friday deal" were not the latest models as in the "Fire HDX" which was released in September 2014. They were the previous model known as the 3rd Generation, Kindle Fire HDX".

See here

I bought one as well and don't recollect seeing it advertised as the "Spezialangeboten (Vorgängermodell - 3. Generation" or I wouldn't of bought it. I assumed I was buying the latest model at the special prices. I haven't received it yet as it appears stuck at DHL Leipzig at the moment but I'm in 2 minds as to whether I send it back.

Yes, I ordered and received it already. However, since it´s going to be a Christmas present I haven´t unpacked it. Even if it´s the previous model, I think at € 99 it was still a bargain.

So here is a first update on the kindle fire hdx I bought: It´s been a bit of a mixed experience. The hardware is very good value for money. It´s fast and the display is very sensitive - unlike the ODYS tablet I own which often doesn´t react as it should. However, there is a problem with the "mayday"-online help function. I get connected ususally within a minute and can see the callcenter operators, however I cannot hear them - which makes the whole thing pointless. Amazon promised via email to have a look into the problem and come back to me for a solution. Still waiting for that.

Another problem is that the software is based on Android, but Android apps don´t work. And the range of their own apps is still very limited. E. g. the app for my daily online newspaper (mainpost.de) which I´m subscribing to is not compatible. Again, Amazon said they will try to negotiate with Mainpost to make it compatible, but I have some doubts that will happen anytime soon.

So for now I´d say it is good value for money provided they will fix the mayday-problem and that you don´t need specific apps which are unavailable.

You can sideload Google Play and install the apps from the Google Store.

There is a new Amazon tablet for 60 Eurones, and it has now a SD card slot.   I don't think there is anything else usable in that realm.

Bumping this thread because this kind of device is a blind spot for me.

My wife has an entire office set up from her company here in the house, complete with a 27" screen and docking station. Super.

She also has her own personal laptop that I have invested money in by upgrading both the processor and changing the storage to SSD. HOWEVER, because it is an older PC, it is still slow as hell. On a visit with some friends, my friend told me that I should get my wife a tablet because they both spend all day on Pcs and don't want to deal with that any more at home. The only functional thing my wife does on her PC is our taxes with WISO software. Please don't ask. My little Schwabin will not pay an accountant no matter how I plead with her.

Anyway, since my wife has adoption reluctance with anything Apple makes, can anyone recommend a tablet. Right now I am eyeing a Surface Pro with the i5 because i can tack on a keyboard for her.

Any thoughts?

What does your wife want? Let her pick it out.

I would not like for Himself to choose something like that for me. I certainly would consult with him but I want to pick out the one that I will be using.

Or maybe she has asked you do so.

(I bet she won't get a pink one like my Asus)

@fraufruit That's the problem. She will never buy herself anything. I am completely on board with your idea, but if I gave her the money, she'll squirrel it away. Plus, She utterly disapproves of that type of gifting. Gifts should be thoughtful and a surprise. Something she has not thought of for herself. She HATES gift cards.

46 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Any thoughts?

Plenty, but best to stay on topic!

I was actually reading in the UK version of PC-Pro yesterday about tablets and they have given the Surface a very bad rating.  The biggest problems seems to be because it is Windows 10 based then it is very slow.  Even if you get the more expensive version with the SSD.

The main advice was to select first which O/S you want, then decide what you want it for and take it from there.  Mainly because you can use/share apps and then syncing data and settings should be easier.

If you already have an iPhone or older iPad then sticking with Apple makes sense.

If you are a big user of Amazon including Prime, audible, kindle etc.  then opting for an Amazon device makes sense.

If you already have an Android phone then an Android based device makes sense.

If you do a lot of creative work then a device with a stylus might make sense

etc.

As for a keyboard, don't select a tablet or 2 in 1 just because of this.  You can purchase a keyboard which has Bluetooth and use this to connect to the tablet.

Also don't expect a tablet to work as quick as a laptop/desktop.  Just because you can get an App on xxx device which is the same as on the laptop then it does not mean that it will have the same features or work the same or as good.

For example:  I use Adobe Lightroom on my PC at home for processing RAW photos taken by my DSLR.  I tried using it once on my tablet but it took too long to simply load the photos into the program, and then just as long to make/preview changes that I gave up after a couple of attempts as it was in my opinion not usable.  Ok, so my device is a couple of years old but I know that if I want this portable in the future I would be better to spend slightly more on an Ultrabook laptop and get much more performance.