Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Friends! Help me keep my American accent

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

My name is Kathy, I am 31 years old and I spent 9 years in Florida, USA and came back to Hamburg 6 years ago. Ever since then I sadly noticed how my once accent-free american english is deteriorating to some weird so-called "denglisch" (german-english), this stinks :-) Is anyone (prefereably english/american natives) interested in helping me stay clear of the german accent? In return, I would be happy to help giving assistance in any german language matters. Looking forward hearing from you guys!

PS: Don't hesitate to correct this short text :-)

That's so sad...no one to talk to. Maybe I forgot to offer something in return :) How about learning german in return? Or getting advise or tips on the best venues in town? :-)

You should just go to the meet-ups in Hamburg. I have a feeling you won't find many people on this forum who are interested in a tandem. They/we mostly want to complain about life in Germany and about the Germans in general. There are a few Germans on this forum who are tolerated (but they didn't out themselves right away as Germans I think). Hell, by reading your post, I wouldn't have guessed you were German.

There are a few Germans on this forum who are tolerated (but they didn't out themselves right away as Germans...)

It's hard to be a German these days, I tell ya... :D

Hi Kathy! I'm a 30 year old American woman who has been living in Hamburg since last December. I'm always looking to meet new people and to get out and see the city a little :) Send me a PM if you would like to get together sometime!

Oh, and also wanted to mention that I would love if I could practice my German with you :) I work at an English kindergarten and don't have too many opportunities to speak German

I'd love to help (and, in turn, keep my accent too). It's turning into this weird amalgam of American/German/French and it doesn't even sound like English any more.

Kathy, im Damion and im from sunny San Diego Califorina.

I live in Hamburg and would like to hang out sometime. my cell - 01578488643 hope to talk soon!

Not advisable to post your cell phone number or e-mail address on a public forum. You might want to edit that, if you still can, or ask the mods to remove the post and re-post without that info.