Good areas to live in Bremen

34 posts in this topic

My boyfriend is originally from Delmenhorst and I lived there my first year in Germany and he told me it's known as 'east Germany in the west'. There are some nice areas there and nice houses but the city center is slowly closing down - half the shops aren't there any more and it has high unemployment. Though it's proximity to Bremen is great, just 10 mins on the train. I've never seen a strassenbahn that runs to Stuhr? Which line is that? Whenever I went there for English classes it took me ages by public transport because I always had to go to Roland Center and then get on a bus which did a long tour of the area...

Actually, youre quite right - they are just building that bit :-D. It will be Linie 8 though.

If anyone is already in/near Bremen and looking at places to live, the current edition of "Prinz" has a feature on "Favourite streets to live in Bremen". In German, natch.

@Thintow: As I understand it the bit going to Stuhr should be ready by 2013.

Hi all

Is it easy to find somewhere to 'flat share' or is this not common in Bremen, potentially looking end of May??

Thanks for any tips, apologies if I have missed a thread elsewhere...

@midlandsguy

There are heaps of 'share flat/house' possibilities:

Bremen.de - follow the link to 'schwarzes brett' (black board) and then look at WG

www.wg-gesucht.de

www.easywg.de

or google search WG Bremen :)

Lots of studnets, lots of flatshares. You can also trek round the Viertek and stick up some flyers and/or look for flyers hangng there - Its a recognised way of advertising flatshares here.

in 1991 lived in dresdener strasse in Findorf as a student , can you indulge my trip down memory lane? my first couple of days required all the admin stuff sign on college residents permit etc . After that 2 weeks off , great i thought my cousins husband in the nearby army base forces tv and army shop to ease my transition. Rang and they had gone on holiday .... bullocks i thought and finally after all this meandering narrative that no one is remotely interested in... i will come to the question , near dresdener strasse there was a little pub that i chose to drown my sorrows in , anyone know its name? and is it still there? is Stubus still there , club had a sun roof and another club called Alladins. Is it still a bit dodgy drinking in the Steintour area? Hope to visit in October .

ta very muchly

Stubu and Alladin are both still there but have repeated issues with drugs and violence and have been clsoed repeatedly. The whole "Discomeile" thing probably isnt as strong as when you were here in 91. Steintor isnt so dodgy nowadays and youll probably love the new "Schlachte" area down on the river.